Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

The load reduction relay cuts the power to some components while the starter motor is running, i.e. when you are cranking. The starter motor is a heavy consumer of electricity, hence the need to reduce the load on the battery by cutting the headlights, wipers, etc

So no, removing it won't make your lights brighter. What are the issues with your lights?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

The load reduction relay reduces the load on the battery when the ignition switch is turned to the start position (to crank the starter) by disconnecting circuits such as lights, blower motors, radio, etc. (I don't know exactly which circuits are switched off).

I'd track down grounds, add headlight relays, etc. to make headlights brighter. Your 7" round headlights should do reasonably well and be much better v. later model years with rectangular DOT headlights.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

The ignition switch has an "X" set of contacts that OPEN when the key is turned to the start position. According to the wiring diagrams in the Technical Section, the X circuit directly powers the headlights and it acts as a trigger for the Load Reduction Relay which powers the heaters and the wipers.

If you were to run the power for the headlights through a pair of relays, so that it did not go through either ignition switch, the headlight switch, or dimmer switch, you might see an improvement in your headlights. You could use the 56a and 56b terminals on the dimmer switch to trigger the relays.

You can buy headlight relay kits in the classifieds, I would assume that this is how they are wired, but don't really know.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Zephyr_shreds wrote:
82 diesel vanagon,

what does the load reduction relay do on the fuse panel? If I replace this can it make my headlights brighter? UNLIKELY

Does having your headlights on and the blower motors running along with the wipers on all at once accelerate the failure of the ignition switch. SOME--IT'S THE STARTER MOTOR WHICH IS THE KILLER.
Does all of that current run threw the switch? YES

Duncan
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

NO, the current for the wipers and blowers does NOT go through the ignition switch.
That current goes through the X Load Reduction Relay instead.

The headlight power does go through the ignition switch originally and that is one of the ways adding a headlight relay kit improves things.

The 82 diesel has an inherently weaker electrical system than wbx Vanagons.

Mark

Zephyr_shreds wrote:
Does having your headlights on and the blower motors running along with the wipers on all at once accelerate the failure of the ignition switch.
Does all of that current run threw the switch?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Can a Queen size bed / box be fit in a Westy for transport between locations? Will even just 1 part fit, thus 2 trips? Anyone know or have done this?
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

For those with the Gowesty Spare b gone what do you put in there? I bought one, but I wonder if a water proof gear bag would hold up to all the gunk that could get on it.

https://gowesty.com/products/light-duty-storage-for-spare-tire-location?variant=41425051517093
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Can a Queen size bed / box be fit in a Westy for transport between locations? Will even just 1 part fit, thus 2 trips? Anyone know or have done this?

I had to take the A/C D pillar supports out to fit a box spring. Doing so scuffed the paint on the other plastics. My van is a 7 Passenger tin top. I think it's doubtful for a westy.
dustino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
For those with the Gowesty Spare b gone what do you put in there? I bought one, but I wonder if a water proof gear bag would hold up to all the gunk that could get on it.

https://gowesty.com/products/light-duty-storage-for-spare-tire-location?variant=41425051517093

Seems like a great spot for extra parts and weird tools you probably don't need for a trip but should have just in case.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

dustino wrote:
elizer wrote:

Seems like a great spot for extra parts and weird tools you probably don't need for a trip but should have just in case.

Where is your spare wheel now?

P.O. left the spare for my Syncro loose in the cargo area, it was too wide for the clamshell.
Not acceptable.

I ditched the wide low-profile tires and replaced them w/ 215/75-15s on Rhein rims.
I modified the clamshell per Burley's kit. Now the spare fits where it belongs.
This eliminated the need for an expensive and inconvenient swingout carrier. The clamshell serves as a skid plate and the spare wheel affords some structural support.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

dustino wrote:
elizer wrote:

Keep in mind that the spare tire location is part of the forward crash protection design.
I personally take comfort in having all the protection fir my legs and feet that I can have in a cab over design.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Have been contemplating a manual to auto trans conversion
I have a 2.5 subi motor
Was planning on going with a subaru auto trans
Other than subarugears kit, what would be needed outside of shifter linkage?
ECU replacement?
New Radiator?
Ive done some searching and havent found this particular issue addressed (though Im sure its been done)
TIA
T
Rear discs
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

So, I rolled my 82 diesel 3 times without a seat belt, windows flew off but somehow I stayed inside and survived. I’m sore. But I’ve never been so depressed in my life and wish I died with my van. Engine and tranny are good still. It’s a 1.9 with rebuilt tranny and final drive ratio. I did all the work on it myself and with your guys help. So. I’m sorry. And I love you guys a lot. The knowledge I’ve gained will stay with me forever.

So today I spent all my savings on another 82 diesel. But I think I regret it because the tranny and motor blew up and almost caught on fire. And because it doesn’t feel the same. I think it was made in China because it doesn’t have a rear window wiper. No reservoir. The wiper stick doesn’t even click forward. My life is a joke.
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Zephyr_shreds wrote:
So, I rolled my 82 diesel 3 times without a seat belt, windows flew off but somehow I stayed inside and survived. I’m sore. But I’ve never been so depressed in my life and wish I died with my van. Engine and tranny are good still. It’s a 1.9 with rebuilt tranny and final drive ratio. I did all the work on it myself and with your guys help. So. I’m sorry. And I love you guys a lot. The knowledge I’ve gained will stay with me forever.

So today I spent all my savings on another 82 diesel. But I think I regret it because the tranny and motor blew up and almost caught on fire. And because it doesn’t feel the same. I think it was made in China because it doesn’t have a rear window wiper. No reservoir. The wiper stick doesn’t even click forward. My life is a joke.

Wow, that's a tough break. So sorry to hear about your accidents.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Zephyr_shreds wrote:

Wow, that a rough one. Glad you are still here and moving forward to getting another Vanagon back on the road.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Zephyr_shreds wrote:

this is terrible. can you salvage the the transmission/motor from the totalled van?
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

On a lighter note,

How come I've never seen belly pans before my van? Are these typically left off? What disadvantage is there to keeping them (other than more work to replace the fuel pump frequently). I've got the gasoline heater up there which I plan to keep and use.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

What on earth are these two wires poking out of the back of my van? The wires were stripped back an inch and twisted like speaker wire. Which is my best guess. But who knows Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

indianpeaksjoe wrote:
What on earth???

As is often the case, this is the wrong question. The more interesting question is "Earth on what?"

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

indianpeaksjoe wrote:
What on earth are these two wires poking out of the back of my van? The wires were stripped back an inch and twisted like speaker wire. Which is my best guess. But who knows Wink

That looks like a home-brewed speaker setup. From the headliner that looks like a tintop originally. The tintops did come with a rear corner speaker, but the wires were different, and exited the headliner right up in the corner.

RonC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 169 of 193

Jump to: