Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Manx launching next year
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

I wonder how much it weighs. I also wonder, as a production car, how it will do in crash tests. Or has the government in it’s push to get E cars on the road forgone the safety checks? Did they have to crash test the Tesla?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I wonder how much it weighs. I also wonder, as a production car, how it will do in crash tests. Or has the government in it’s push to get E cars on the road forgone the safety checks? Did they have to crash test the Tesla?

My guess is that they plan on limited production so they can stay under the more relaxed rules of the Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act.

I have built a few EVs in my garage and hung out with other EV builders drag racing them. They don't need to be complicated and that quiet motor has a certain appeal at the strip. You can actually hear the tires groan or growl as you approach the traction limit on launch. You might hear the fizz of brushes threatening to flash over. There might be smoke pouring out from the car as you blow up some batteries that decided 2000 amp was to much to ask. Oh, and with all the low end torque wheelstands on launch are quite common.

I ridden in the White Zombie electric drag car a few times. Any car that can run the quarter mile in 10.25 seconds at 123 mph is impressive, particularly funny in a Datsun 1200 with street legal drag tires that fit inside the stock fenders. The Dutchman Motorsports Ford 9 inch with Detroit Locker is adds it own sounds on the street. It's needed to handle the launch torque needed to pull a 60 foot time in as little as 1.33 seconds!

That said, my current buggy has a stock 1600 single port in it. So many ways to have fun in a car. Cool
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

The EV fantasy will fizzle out in another 6-8 years. They will never replace the ICE.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

I think this time around that electric cars have become practical enough that they will become an option for some people. Mainstream? That totally depends on how much the government subsidizes them with our money. If they have to stand on their own merits… my feeling is acceptance and growth will be very slow.

As for them completely displacing any or all other fuels, don’t hold your breath!

I can see these electric Manx Buggies developing a cult following with time just like the originals did but it wouldn’t be the same crowd.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

In the mid to late 70’s my father brought me to Trenton Speedway for a modified race. Before the race they had an electric car on the track. I think it was a converted Chevy Citation and it took forever to make one lap around what I think was 1.5 mile track. Times have changed
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
essjayarr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

It is funny how history does repeat.
The resistance we hear today towards electric cars is the same history has shown of the change from horse and buggy to those new fangled horseless carriages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

And that is about where the similarities end. Government did not mandate people to buy automobiles or horses out of existence. I say let them sell on their own merits, let the people decide what what works best for them!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

I saw that the projected price will be around $50K, so that will put all but the wealthy with big money for toys out of the market.

The times they are a changin'. I'll take a hard pass on electric, hydrogen is going to be the future.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: