Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body Pads in or out?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:51 pm    Post subject: Body Pads in or out? Reply with quote

I have to complete welding in my heater channels and then make the final door gap alignment before solidly welding the B pillar.

Do you put the body back on with or without the rubber pads to do this?

I have seen comments advocating both methods. Leaving them off seems to ensure that degree of compression of the rubber does not interfere with the body refit as a base line. Once welded when all the door gaps are correct, the pads are returned into position and the final finessing by tightening the body pads at different points provides a degree of flexibility.

Anyone have comments either way? I'm leaning towards leaving the pads out.
Timscc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Body Pads in or out? Reply with quote

I'm doing the same thing to my bug. I'm not using the body pads because I also do not have the pan gasket on. Once all the welding and painting is done I will final install with the gasket and body pads.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Body Pads in or out? Reply with quote

I think the door gaps and how square the door fits into the opening are more critical than worrying about how the body sits on the pan. I did my channels and one "B" pillar with the body on sawhorses. You can adjust how square the body sits on the pan as you bolt it down to the pan.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Body Pads in or out? Reply with quote

The pan gasket isn’t to important but the Jody lands are. There is a sequence for torquing down the body and that is how to adjust door gaps also. The pads are pretty thick so that body will flex a lot
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Body Pads in or out? Reply with quote

I bolt the body down at all points to the correct torque. Works like a charm!

I also use all new gaskets and pads. And I use them all. You will need to install the front beam, too!

Once everything is set, start tacking into place. It is amazing how much the body can flex! You can pull it front to back or side to side by 1mm increments with washers on the pads, if needed to. But if you bolt it all down and then start racking, your chances for good alignment go up greatly! We as rebuilders do not have the body jigs that VW had, so you need to do something to make it happen!

Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Pads in or out? Reply with quote

I welded my heater channels in with the body sitting on the pan, not bolted down. I did not have the rubber pads in, or the body gasket. I also replaced the firewall, both A pillars with the lower hinge assembly, and the entire left forward quarter from the bumper all the way to the pinch weld.
Getting door alignment has proven to be a challenge. I finally got the passenger side fixed, drivers door refuses to align. I find that if I put the two rubber pads in the front under the gas tank, that it screws up my alignment. I probably should have installed the pads before I welded. You probably already know but there are different thicknesses of pads so you can dial in your adjustments. I think there was a hot VWs article available online that seemed to show them measuring the thickness they needed, and then making their own metal shims.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: