Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Birth Certificates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

What is the current cost for a certificate in USD and please give me a CURRENT website to order from.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I just ordered mine about two weeks ago and it was $143.46. I ordered it from here:

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/en_us/service/certificate-data-sheets.html

Prepare for it to not be a smooth transaction. It took me no less than 5 attempts before I finally got it to work. I tried credit card multiple times and Paypal twice. The Paypal option worked the second time.

If you can't get it to work, you can email the order to [email protected] with this info:

Ordered product (Certificate/ Data Sheets / Bundle):

Document language (German / English):

Chassis number:

Engine number (if existing):

Modell name:

Billing- and delivery address:

Please confirm the following:

Your information is correct and corresponds to the existing vehicle documents. You are the legal owner of the vehicle you are requesting.

You can choose between two payment options. Prepayment by bank transfer and prepayment by credit card. If you want to pay by bank transfer, we will be happy to send you the necessary bank details. If you decide to pay by credit card, please send us the following information:

Credit card type: (MasterCard, Visa, AmEx):

Credit card number:

Good thru:

We will debit the amount from your credit card within a few days of receiving your order. Note: Please do not send us your check-digit! This information is not required for your payment.

The free shipping delivery time can take up to six weeks by mail.

Our general terms and conditions apply to your order. You find them by using the link:
https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/terms_conditions
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Oh, and for what it's worth, I haven't received anything yet, but they do respond quickly when you message them (time zone differences taken into account).

Good luck!
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Just got my bug's birth certificate and data sheet yesterday. Turns out the 316 motor is, in fact, the original motor. So the motor was manufactured in September of '59 and the bug was manufactured October of '59. Also learned that it's a De Luxe, and came with fabric interior (PO replaced it with a different color vinyl). I'll for sure be switching back to the original at some point.

Overall, I think the birth certificate and data sheet are worth the expense. Very cool. 👍
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Has anyone else encountered discrepancies on their car's birth certificates? Mine is a February 1966 beetle. It says "Reversing light" and "Dual-circuit brake system" and I doubt it ever had either of these items.... Pretty sure these 2 items didn't come out until late 1966 or early 1967. Am I wrong?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Yes, it's common that they include everything possible for the groups codes like 350, even things that came about after your Beetle was made.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jabbiate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Has anyone had there certificate come back with Country of Destination = Panama? I bought my 62 from a family here in San Diego that had passed the bug down a few times but the original owner passed a while ago and no one mentioned it being delivered to Panama. There are two additional license plate holes below the bottom edge of our California plates and figured it may have been a Tourist Delivery. Now the Panama connection has me a bit confused... Any others have a Panama County of Destination or ideas on this one? Thanks
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

There are a few Split Buses with Panama delivery codes and I believe they are all Tourist Delivery but not 100% sure on that.

I don't know about Beetles with that code.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jabbiate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Good to know. I wonder if maybe the Tourist Delivery for West Coast had to go through Panama canal and then got this odd Country of Destination. If anyone else has figured this out, I would love to hear about. Thanks Everett
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

58euro wrote:
Ordered mine Jan 7th and received it today Feb 17th. Has anyone seen the delivered to location as being “VWoA Personal” before? Wonder if it was used for promotional use or what that means? Also has M86 which is unknown.

I was wondering about that myself. I hadn't given it a second thought until a friend mentioned it. I have the same thing on my '75 bug certificate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Would anyone here know what "VW of America Personal" Means on the certificate? I also haven't been able to figure out the unidentifiable codes D05 M072 M247 and Y06. This is on a 1975 standard bug
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Received the Birth Certificate for my 1960 Double Cab today, a month after ordering. A good match to the M-Code plate...

Pete Keesling
Driving a VW every day.....

Last edited by drpete on Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
billykdf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Good afternoon, I introduce myself from Buenos Aires as the recent owner of a 1958 Karmann Ghia Coupe (1959 model maybe?)

VIN: 1.930.xxx

In my case, the experience with the requested certificate was doubly surprising and at the same time contradictory: On the one hand, I was pleasantly surprised by the speed between having requested it (Oct/7/22), and physically receiving it only 10 days later (Oct/17/ 22), but also and in response to my request they advanced it to me the day after having made the payment, via email in pdf.

On the other hand, the surprise is for the worse, and I take the opportunity here to leave the concern and if I can clarify the following: in the certificate it appears as leaving the factory in May 1958, however according to the chassis numbering tables on this website and others of the brand say that according to my VIN the vehicle must have been manufactured between August 1 and December 31, 1958.

From VW Classic Parts they have not responded to my repeated emails asking for clarification on this. Even be kind enough to answer that they are analyzing it, and in that case I am willing to wait as long as necessary, but nothing.

Has something similar happened to someone? Is there any other source where you can more accurately verify the month and year of manufacture according to VIN?

Thank you very much in advance, and I look forward to your comments.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

IMO, Seems like a whole lot of useless info for the cost...but hey to ea. there own..

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
billykdf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

If clearly, it is not worth what it costs, even more so if the level of interest (or rather lack of interest) on the part of VW is this. In my case, it helped me to make sure of the data that interested me the most: the original color and we could already corroborate it in certain corners of the bodywork. Then the rest is just a minor concern, and in fact they have already confirmed to me from other forums that the date of the certificate seems to be the correct one because it corresponds to that of the Beetles of that time with whom the Karmann shared chassis, and were separated for this model. In other words, in conclusion, what is obviously not reliable is the data from the published tables.
Volksfolken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I ordered mine on September 9, 2022, and it arrived yesterday, November 3. The documents were dated October 4.

It´s true that the ´Birth Certificate´ is just a couple sheets of paper, but I´m happy to have the documentation. My 1965 beetle was bought by my mother in 1966, and thereafter has been mine, so it´s spent nearly its entire life with us. Collecting and collating all the history is kind of a fun side light to driving my little car.

My beetle´s VIN says it was manufactured in September 1964, and the documents give the manufacture date as October 8, which I assume is final inspection. That makes sense, but the delivery date, in California, is October 15. I see that that´s consistent with what is shown on other certificates, but it sure seems fast. On the other hand, shipping might have been a lot more efficient when it didn´t involve cargo containers?

It´s kind of amusing to note that my beetle got here a lot faster than the certificate: one week for the beetle and a month for the certificate.

I ordered from https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/en_us/service/certificate-data-sheets.html and paid $129 USD. I have to let my card company know when I plan to buy from another country -- in this case, Germany. Other people might not have to do that, but heads up that it might be an issue.
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

As I understand it, the "delivery" date listed is actually the shipping date, when it left Germany, not when it arrived in the US. My last BC (about 7 years ago, before the current system) specifically says "left factory" rather than "delivery" for that reference. That car was manufactured on June 14 and left the factory on June 17, headed to San Francisco. I have no way of knowing when it actually arrived, but I'd guess it would have taken a few weeks.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Looks like they've merged the old 'data sheet' with the 'birth certificate'.

When I got mine, the certificate was like sportin-wood's example at the top of this page ^^^

They used to use the term 'delivery date' on the old data sheet, but on the certificate they called that the 'left factory on' date, which is most likely what it was (the date that it left the holding yard at the factory).

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Volksfolken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Thanks, Rene R and Who.Me? Your explanations make a lot of sense. It seems it´s a question of how the certificate preparers think about the process as they know it.

I noticed that the letter accompanying the certificate has some peculiarities of translation, which is to be expected, and is even a little charming, since it keeps a little bit of the flavor of the original language. So this sounds like something somewhat similar.

Thanks for the clarifications!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I am fortunate to have the original Service Booklet (as well as a lot of other documentation)for our '66 Beetle. In light of that, for years I have resisted the urge to buy its Birth Certificate. Am I missing something, or would it be beneficial to have the Certificate in this case?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Page 58 of 61

Jump to: