Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cantdrv55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

Key out of the ignition and removing the distributor cap. Is it important to disconnect the battery too?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

Generator or alternator?, not much danger with a gen, but an alt has a live wire within reach of a wrench or something.

When in doubt disconnect it, at the very least it's a last reminder to look over the work area and make sure everything is cleaned up and secure before turning the key.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cantdrv55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

It’s a generator. Thanks for the quick response!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

By '69 the regulator (which has live wires) was under the seat, so you should be good without disconnecting the battery.

Just be sure any wires you connect to the carb are held tightly. Those are NOT fused, and will melt if shorted, taking the rest of your harness with it. I would add heat shrink tubing to any exposed connector metal on the female sides, and make sure they are a tight metal-to-metal fit on the male tabs.

Check your coil connectors and take the same steps.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

S- or C-shaped 13mm box wrench is great for accessing the nut by the fan shroud when replacing the carb.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

There is a live post on top of an alternator, and if, say using a screwdriver and you ground this post, you'll see sparks fly.

However, knowing this can happen, I removed my carburetor many times without unhooking the ground strap on the battery--even though I had a nice battery cut-off switch at the kick panel.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
There is a live post on top of an alternator, and if, say using a screwdriver and you ground this post, you'll see sparks fly.Tim

cantdrv55 wrote:
It’s a generator. Thanks for the quick response!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

Why would you not want to disconnect the battery when working on anything that involves touching any of the wiring?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Why would you not want to disconnect the battery when working on anything that involves touching any of the wiring?

Better drain and flush the fuel tank, too, might be risky there.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Better drain and flush the fuel tank, too, might be risky there.

I've seen a lot of stupid things on the Samba ... and this is one of them.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

cantdrv55 wrote:
Key out of the ignition and removing the distributor cap. Is it important to disconnect the battery too?

I would disconnect at the coil positive terminal the wire that leads to the choke heater and electrojet solenoid, as one will need to disconnect this anyway !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cantdrv55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

Yes those I had to disconnect for sure
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

To the original question, why remove the distributor cap?
cantdrv55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

I was replacing the carb
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

cantdrv55 wrote:
I was replacing the carb

Still not seeing it...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Sometimes access to the carb retaining nuts and the accelerator cable is easier with the distributor cap removed. I've done that too.
cantdrv55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

Yes, I couldn’t get my wrench and my hand to move the wrench with the distributor in the way. I guess my hand dexterity needs work.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Sometimes access to the carb retaining nuts and the accelerator cable is easier with the distributor cap removed. I've done that too.

Me three, I usually pull the cap for access to that area just because...., especially the front nut.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Important to disconnect the battery when replacing carb? Reply with quote

Makes sense... I don't remember having trouble, but I had some odd wrenches.. or small hands, LOL!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: