Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fastback Pop-out window seals
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback Pop-out window seals Reply with quote

It's the "outer left" and "outer right" that have me confused.

Each window needs two outer clips ... that's four outer clips. I have the left window done.

The lower clip on the left window is the same as the upper clip on the right window. The upper clip on the left window is the same as the lower clip on the right window.

I'm missing the upper outer clip for the right window. Which part number is that?

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback Pop-out window seals Reply with quote

Well, shit. I don't have a Fastback handy so I'm going by the parts book. If the outer is two clips each, I wonder if the lower left doubles as the upper right, and vice versa? I'll do some digging I guess.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback Pop-out window seals Reply with quote

How about this. "Left" and "right" refers to the clip orientation wrt the seal when viewed from the back.

So if the window is laid flat and viewed from the rear, the clip with the seal on its left is 311847159A.

https://vwispwest.com/cap-outer-left-for-fastback-pop-out-window-311847159a/

Thanks for the help.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback Pop-out window seals Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread with a couple of queries.
I bought a set of popout frames a few years ago. The black metal clips were included but they all seem exactly the same. When I go to ISP west and search the same products there seems to be Left outer, right outer, and inner clips.

How many of each do you need? 2x left outer, 2x rght outer, 4x inner????

This is what I got in my purchase. I have no Idea what the Z shaped clips are for and the four black clips look exactly the same but dont look like the ISP outer clips.

I'm a bit confused on this one. Help would be appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Test fitting the frames, i discovered I didnt have all the holes drilled from factory. They only did 2 holes for the threads on the frames and each frame needs 4. My car never had popouts installed so that might explain it.

Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback Pop-out window seals Reply with quote

Your 4 black metal pieces all look identical to me. From the photos of mine below, you can see that the window rubber to the front of the clip is a totally different shape to the rubber to the rear of the clip - The rubber to the front is a much "fuller" shape. As a result the black metal covers are actually shaped differently at their rear edge than at their front edge, so as to fit snuggly over the differing rubber shapes. So my clips (which AFAIK are original on my 1970 FB) are very definitely two different shapes. None of yours (to me) look correct because none of them would fit on the differing rubber shapes. That is of course presuming your rubber does change its shape at that point ? If it doesn't, then I would hazard a guess that your rubber is for non pop-out windows ????
Thinking about it, the rubber HAS to be 2 different shapes - The rubber forward of the clips is bigger because the glass actually sits inside it, held firmly in place in a U channel. The rubber to the rear of the clips only seals when the window is pulled shut by the clips. It can't be the bigger section with the U channel or the window wouldn't open.

(Edit - Out of interest I have a small bolt welded into my window frame, facing inwards, top and bottom, and it pushes through the rubber when you fit it. You then have to get a very small and fiddly nut inside the rubber channel and onto the little bolt. It was fiddly and that little nut fell down into crevices below several times !!)

Haven't got a clue what those silver clips are for - Don't think I have them on my windows ! I have seen them somewhere on the car, I think, but can't remember where ! Am sure someone else will know.

Top RH window clip and rubber

Close up of front end of clip over wider rubber

Close up of rear end of clip, over narrower rubber.

Another view of entire clip
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback Pop-out window seals Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Your 4 black metal pieces all look identical to me.

Is there any chance mine are for inside the window?
Looks like i'm missing the correct external clips.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback Pop-out window seals Reply with quote

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
Qldelsie wrote:

YES - That's what it is. They are inside ones ! Sorry, completely missed those in the semi dark of my garage yesterday !!!
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback Pop-out window seals Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
Qldelsie wrote:

YES - That's what it is. They are inside ones ! Sorry, completely missed those in the semi dark of my garage yesterday !!!

I'm so glad I have the inside ones. I ordered the outers from ISP west but noticed the inner covers, which I have, are on backorder. I really want to install all my glass soon and tick it off the loooong list of things to do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: