Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Like the song goes, “One Headlight”…
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonah_fiddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

So, I’ve been dealing with lighting issues and my passenger headlight has not been working since I got the car. Also, 1 turn signal and 1 brake light is not working, so I’ve got to tackle that.

This post is specifically for the headlight. I bought 2 new headlights thinking that one was just bad, but the drivers side works and the passenger side doesn’t.

I checked the ground and both wires running to the panel and they are connected. So then I thought maybe the harness was bad so j ordered a new one, still no luck. I’ve connected the original headlight to the new headlight plug and it still doesn’t work.

Any ideas?

I replaced all fuses in the fuse box also.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

Headlight switch itself is my guess.
Time to get out the meter and see.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Headlight switch itself is my guess.
Time to get out the meter and see.

So, have you turned on the headlights and actually put a voltmeter in the socket yet? Do you get voltage at the headlight socket?

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

This wiring diagram says the front headlights are on different circuits.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hell. It even says the Hi & Lo are on different fuses!
you just need to "connect the dots"

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonah_fiddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

I did check the positive and it was showing up to 13 volts. Anything else I should check?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

NOTE: The following is assuming that your wiring is factory correct!!!

First off, you need to be looking at the correct diagram. Apparently you have a 1970 convertible beetle? If so this is the diagram you need to be looking at:

Both of your headlights receive power from the headlight switch (E1) through the dimmer relay (J). When you turn the headlight switch on, power flows out from the switch to the dimmer relay through the white/ black stripe wire coming off terminal 56 of the headlight switch to terminal 56 on the dimmer relay. From there it flows out to the input side of either fuse #5 via the yellow wire coming off terminal 56a of the dimmer relay (for brights), or fuse #7 via the white wire coming off terminal F of the dimmer relay (for dims), depending on what you have the dimmer switch set on. From that point power flows through either fuse 5 (brights) or 7 (dims) out to your left hand headlight, BUT it ALSO branches off (on the input side of the fuse box) via metal bridges to fuses 6 and 8, which handle the RIGHT side headlight brights and dims respectively.
Since power for BOTH headlights travels on the same circuit up to the point of the fuse box, and your left side headlight works fine, you can essentially eliminate anything in the circuit path up to the fuse box as being the problem. That basically leaves the yellow and white wires running off fuses 6 and 8 respectively to your passenger side headlight, and since you apparently replaced both of those and the right headlight is still not coming on, you can pretty much eliminate that also. That leaves the headlight itself and the ground wire coming off of it (which should connect to a metal tab on the inside of the trunk.)
You also said you checked for power at the headlight, but which wire did you check? The yellow (for bright filament) or the white (for dim filament?)
Check the right side ground tab carefully and the brown headlight ground wire that connects to it. Make sure that wire is not loose at that connection. You can always disconnect that brown ground wire from that tab and run a jumper from the wire to a known good ground like the left side tab, see if the headlight comes on then. If it doesn't I would suspect the brown ground wire connection at the headlight itself (connection 31 on the right side headlight L2 in the diagram above.)

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Jonah_fiddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
NOTE: The following is assuming that your wiring is factory correct!!!

First off, you need to be looking at the correct diagram. Apparently you have a 1970 convertible beetle? If so this is the diagram you need to be looking at:

Both of your headlights receive power from the headlight switch (E1) through the dimmer relay (J). When you turn the headlight switch on, power flows out from the switch to the dimmer relay through the white/ black stripe wire coming off terminal 56 of the headlight switch to terminal 56 on the dimmer relay. From there it flows out to the input side of either fuse #5 via the yellow wire coming off terminal 56a of the dimmer relay (for brights), or fuse #7 via the white wire coming off terminal F of the dimmer relay (for dims), depending on what you have the dimmer switch set on. From that point power flows through either fuse 5 (brights) or 7 (dims) out to your left hand headlight, BUT it ALSO branches off (on the input side of the fuse box) via metal bridges to fuses 6 and 8, which handle the RIGHT side headlight brights and dims respectively.
Since power for BOTH headlights travels on the same circuit up to the point of the fuse box, and your left side headlight works fine, you can essentially eliminate anything in the circuit path up to the fuse box as being the problem. That basically leaves the yellow and white wires running off fuses 6 and 8 respectively to your passenger side headlight, and since you apparently replaced both of those and the right headlight is still not coming on, you can pretty much eliminate that also. That leaves the headlight itself and the ground wire coming off of it (which should connect to a metal tab on the inside of the trunk.)
You also said you checked for power at the headlight, but which wire did you check? The yellow (for bright filament) or the white (for dim filament?)
Check the right side ground tab carefully and the brown headlight ground wire that connects to it. Make sure that wire is not loose at that connection. You can always disconnect that brown ground wire from that tab and run a jumper from the wire to a known good ground like the left side tab, see if the headlight comes on then. If it doesn't I would suspect the brown ground wire connection at the headlight itself (connection 31 on the right side headlight L2 in the diagram above.)

That was one hell of a reply, thank you!

Something you said made me think. I wired it back up and installed the bulb and hit the brights and guess what, the brights work. So I checked the white and was getting 9.9 volts and the yellow wire was around 12.1.

I'm stumped...
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

First let me correct a couple of errors I made in my previous post (not looking at the diagram closely enough, or at the owner's manual): Embarassed

The #3 fuse on your fuse block is where the white wire for the BRIGHT lights comes into the fuse block from the dimmer relay for the left side headlight, and splits over to #4 fuse for the right side headlight.
The #5 fuse is where the yellow wire for the DIM lights comes into the fuse block for the left side headlight, and splits over to fuse #6 for the right side headlight.

So, white wire = BRIGHT lights, not dim as I said earlier, and yellow wire = DIM lights, not bright.

So if you followed my previous post that said fuses #7 & 8 were the white wires to the headlights, sorry I was wrong about that. If that led you to check the white wire coming off fuse #8, it was the wrong wire

If you are getting brights on the right side headlight it means your #4 fuse, & the white wire coming off of it, are good. Please check the YELLOW wire off fuse #6 for voltage (this will be the wire for the right side dim lights) and see what you get.

1600 SP engine
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

A lot of times with weird lighting issues, I'll have a bad connection from the socket to the fuse. Twisting the fuses around a bit can help find this, sometimes.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

Wrongly wired headlamp socket?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

Jonah_fiddler wrote:
I did check the positive and it was showing up to 13 volts. Anything else I should check?
<...>
Something you said made me think. I wired it back up and installed the bulb and hit the brights and guess what, the brights work. So I checked the white and was getting 9.9 volts and the yellow wire was around 12.1.

Those are some big voltage differences.
Where did you get the 13v measurement?
Where exactly did you get the 12.1v and 9.9v measurements? I'm gonna guess at the fuse box connection for the two headlight wires?

I'm gonna suggest a simple test but you will need to be careful not to let any wires touch ground as the wires we will be using may not be fused so could start to melt. Be careful.

Test the headlights and wires:
Disconnect the white and yellow wires coming from the dimmer relay at the fuse box.
Using a jumper wire with alligator clips connect the INPUT side of fuse #8 to the terminal that the white wire connected to. This should power both high beams. Do both high beams light up the same brightness?
Move the wire to the terminal that the yellow wire was connected to. This should light up the low beams. Are both evenly bright but dimmer than the high beams?
If this worked it means you headlamps, wiring and fuses are all working.

Test the dimmer relay:
Make sure both the yellow and white wires that you disconnected are not touching any metal/ground.
Take your voltmeter and connect it to the white/black wire running between the headlight switch and the dimmer relay. No need to disconnect the white/black wire. Turn the headlight switch fully ON. What is the voltage reading you get from the white/black wire?
Move your voltmeter to either the loose white or yellow wire... which ever one is powered. What is the voltage reading you get. It should be identical to the white/black wire.
Hit the dimmer switch on the turn signal lever and you should hear the dimmer relay click. Test the other loose wire and you should get the same voltage reading.
If the voltage reading at the end of the loose yellow and white wires are not the same... you have a failing dimmer relay. This would explain why you got a 12.1v reading on one wire and 9.9v on the other. You could try cleaning the wires and terminals on the headlight switch and the dimmer relay. Go ahead and clean the fuse box terminals too. Rerun the test and see if this significantly improved the voltage readings.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Jonah_fiddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

So, I thought I'd update everyone on the final fix as i haven't had a chance to get back out to the garage in a few days.

I checked all of the connections and made sure that the new wiring harness was wired correctly. Still nothing.

So I went back through the fuse box and re-seated all of the fuses and voila! Seems I have all turn signals, lights, running lights, and brights working properly now.

Man, these fuse box connections can be finicky if they're not seated in there just right.

Thanks for all of the help guys, especially sb001!
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

So Jonah,
How much money did you spend in replacement parts, before you discovered a bad connection on a fuse?

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
Jonah_fiddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

We’ll, I bought 2 new headlights, probably needed anyway, but who knows. That was about $25 each. The new wiring harness was $4, and I already had everything else.

I won’t count the $.25 fuse since it fixed the problem!!!
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

Jonah_fiddler wrote:
Man, these fuse box connections can be finicky if they're not seated in there just right.

Or haven't been touched / cleaned in 50+ years...

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

Jonah_fiddler wrote:

You're welcome although all I did was misread the wiring diagram Embarassed

1600 SP engine
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

If it is the song I am thinking of, isn't it "One Taillight"?
Jonah_fiddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Jonah_fiddler wrote:

You're welcome although all I did was misread the wiring diagram Embarassed

But it was done with such conviction!
Jonah_fiddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

raydog wrote:

Correct. My sorry attempt at humor using a horrible song.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Like the song goes, “One Headlight”… Reply with quote

raydog wrote:

Not if it's the outstanding Wallflowers song.

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: