Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
A single 12x22x20 box is a large shipment. If you ship 50 of them then you’ll get a good rate.

People are just seeing real shipping costs and squealing like pigs, wondering why everything isn’t free like Amazon

Used car markets will adjust. Your $50 part you paid $5 for is worth $0 in your garage.

You totally missed the question: I said 12x12x20 not 12x22x20 and also I dont have any $50 parts I paid $5 for. Now that being said, I paid USPS last month, I shipped the exact same thing for $19. No, I dont wonder why Amazon is free.....when we all pay for this. It is subsidized shipping!! It cost exactly 2x to send the exact same thing. And it is only ONE MONTH!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

wait until next month when it doubles again............
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

Quote:
I went to the USPS yesterday, and a small box, not more than 12 x 12 x 20 an weighing less than 10 lbs total, cost $39 to ship from Virginia to Missouri.

for kicks i entered a shipping quote into Pirate ship for a 12 x 12 x 20 box thats 10# from 23233 VA ZIP to 63102 MO Zip

shipment cost PS UPS Ground is $16.81
Next Day Air was $88.00 for comparison

Same info on the shipping calculator at UPS.com was $47.76
Next day air $317.00

Seems many franchises are only discounted online. Subway and Mcdonalds prices are now way up in store, but signing up for thier apps and ordering online gets BOGO deals, free drinks etc that are never offered in store/ walk in deals.
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

From USPS.com

Quote:
Large Package
Any dimension over 12 inches

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
From USPS.com

Quote:
Large Package
Any dimension over 12 inches

For most of my life for UPS it has been a combination of the girth and length that determined rate. Their website still reflects that in the instructions on how to calculate the rate. USPS does ask about if any side is over 12, if it is they will charge more.

I have shipped the same identical package at USPS and a clerk called it an envelope while next time he called it a package. The supervisor will agree with whatever the clerk says at the time. I had an envelope that had a small thin rubber belt in it. I charged the buyer for a package and the PO clerk only charged me a stamp, arguing with me that it was not a package so I issued the buyer a refund. The next person who bought the same thing I charged the same postage for and the PO, same clerk, called it a package that time so I had to go back to the buyer for more money. No matter what you lose with them. USPS still owes me $250 for a shipment they guaranteed service on but never delivered. It came back a year later after being lost in their system. They told me maybe 10 times they were issuing a refund and it never came. All shippers are crooks in my eyes. They lie. Another driver threw a shipment away because it was late in the day. He admitted it to my next door neighbor who worked in the same PO. There is nothing anyone can do when these services treat you unfairly.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

OK I took my almost $50 ( usps actual quote) package to a UPS store today. They typed in the address and quoted me $23.50. I said OK. They processed another, larger package first and when they returned to my first package it suddenly jumped to $38! I asked how this could be in a matter of 10 minutes, answer " That is how the system works now, real time increases at the drop of a hat". Shipping quotes are meaningless and if you are a walk up customer you get this kind of service. So basically same answer from UPS and usps, yet I can't find a single article to confirm this.

I agree hitching your wagon to a 3rd party like Pirate Ship might be the last hope.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
OK I took my almost $50 ( usps actual quote) package to a UPS store today. They typed in the address and quoted me $23.50. I said OK. They processed another, larger package first and when they returned to my first package it suddenly jumped to $38! I asked how this could be in a matter of 10 minutes, answer " That is how the system works now, real time increases at the drop of a hat". Shipping quotes are meaningless and if you are a walk up customer you get this kind of service. So basically same answer from UPS and usps, yet I can't find a single article to confirm this.

I agree hitching your wagon to a 3rd party like Pirate Ship might be the last hope.

They keyed something in wrong one of the times is likely what happened. Their answer was BS to avoid admitting a mistake was made, that or they plain don't give a hoot - which we run into lots these days. If we want customer service 99% of the time we have to do things ourselves.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

usps will have .75 $ rate increase on all flat rates end of September as well as increases in packages. Unusual move as increases are normally expressed at the first of the year.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

I signed up for Pirate Ship. Their site was easier to use than the official USPS one and the rates were about 20-25% less.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

Quote:
usps will have .75 $ rate increase on all flat rates end of September as well as increases in packages. Unusual move as increases are normally expressed at the first of the year.

last year USPS increased rates in October through Xmas as increase for 'holiday volume'. then they reduced rates to what they were after New Year - good for 2 weeks before thier annual rate increase that takes effect mid January.

Ergo, now 2 price increases a year instead of 1.
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: United Parcel Service (UPS) is now very expensive Reply with quote

You are correct, I forgot that move. 28 by 26 by 22 , 40# Colorado to Penn. $203. $5 per lb. as previously stated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: