Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Right side wiper sweeps past windshield
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SambaUser1M wrote:
I wish had the answer, guys. Here are pics of everything. The only thing that I can see is absolutely wrong is the bushing is worn out where the left side wiper drive arm rotates on the motor. BUT, that drive arm drives the right side, too - and only the right side oversweeps.

These arms and blades are equal length.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yeah, I'll be applying the Rain-X idea. 8) It "never" rains in Southern California anyway. :wink: Besides, I drive my company car when I know it's going to be raining. But, sometimes, I get caught by surprise.

I appreciate everyone's input! If you see the problem, please let me know. If more pics will help, I can try to shoot better photos. Hit me with specifics and I'll do my best.

The blades are asymmetrical from where they mount to the arms. It looks from here that one has the long side above the set screw, the other the short side. I am guessing that if you undo the set screw, spin the wiper around, and move it so the long side is below the set screw then the sweep at the upper corners will be smaller. You can also move the blade on up/ down the arm slightly this way.

Sloppy pivots also give more sweep, I cant tell if yours are sloppy or not.
It all looks dry, I would lube all the moving parts with some grease when re-assembling.

some of the new blades available are of poor quality.

I need to install some new ones on the kombi. The powers that be have pulled the cloud curtain back over us on Saturday night, and I expect rain showers for ~ the next eight months.
SambaUser1M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
SambaUser1M wrote:
I wish had the answer, guys. Here are pics of everything. The only thing that I can see is absolutely wrong is the bushing is worn out where the left side wiper drive arm rotates on the motor. BUT, that drive arm drives the right side, too - and only the right side oversweeps.

These arms and blades are equal length.

Yeah, I'll be applying the Rain-X idea. Cool It "never" rains in Southern California anyway. Wink Besides, I drive my company car when I know it's going to be raining. But, sometimes, I get caught by surprise.

I appreciate everyone's input! If you see the problem, please let me know. If more pics will help, I can try to shoot better photos. Hit me with specifics and I'll do my best.

The blades are asymmetrical from where they mount to the arms. It looks from here that one has the long side above the set screw, the other the short side. I am guessing that if you undo the set screw, spin the wiper around, and move it so the long side is below the set screw then the sweep at the upper corners will be smaller. You can also move the blade on up/ down the arm slightly this way.

Excellent. I'll try that!

Clara wrote:
It all looks dry, I would lube all the moving parts with some grease when re-assembling.

Will do!

Clara wrote:

Any advice on whose I should buy? WW is just 20 minutes from me. Smile

Clara wrote:
I need to install some new ones on the kombi. The powers that be have pulled the cloud curtain back over us on Saturday night, and I expect rain showers for ~ the next eight months.

8 months?!? Shocked Good luck!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SambaUser1M wrote:
Clara wrote:
SambaUser1M wrote:

Yeah, I'll be applying the Rain-X idea. Cool It "never" rains in Southern California anyway. Wink Besides, I drive my company car when I know it's going to be raining. But, sometimes, I get caught by surprise.

Clara wrote:

Will do!

Clara wrote:

Clara wrote:

It tends to rain only once a year here, it just keeps going for a while. Cool

I prefer original SWF blades. Sorry, no source AFAIK.
SambaUser1M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
SambaUser1M wrote:
Clara wrote:
SambaUser1M wrote:

Clara wrote:

Will do!

Clara wrote:

Clara wrote:

It tends to rain only once a year here, it just keeps going for a while. Cool

I prefer original SWF blades. Sorry, no source AFAIK.

Thanks Clara. Your comment reminds me of the old joke, "It only rained twice this week - the first time for five days, the second time for two days." Smile
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference I can see(from the picture E B posted) is that the "fixed arm is on the other side. Fixed on the passenger and the one with the ball joint on the driver side. Iam not even sure if it would make a difference but thought I would mention it. Confused
SambaUser1M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
The only difference I can see(from the picture E B posted) is that the "fixed arm is on the other side. Fixed on the passenger and the one with the ball joint on the driver side. Iam not even sure if it would make a difference but thought I would mention it. Confused

Hm. I interpreted Everett's note to mean the Passenger's side rod is the clip-on...
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zehbeh wrote:
cru62 wrote:

It is most likely that the PS wiper pivot was replaced with one from another model VW which has a longer distance between the pivot ball and the centerline of the shaft.

If the wiper moves too far on both sides, the wiper pivot is replaced by one that is too short, not too long.

Oops! You are correct, sir Embarassed

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SambaUser1M wrote:
Big Bill wrote:

Hm. I interpreted Everett's note to mean the Passenger's side rod is the clip-on...

Yes, I didn't go check my Bus but this is what I remember and this is what my parts book shows.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SambaUser1M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Coming along Reply with quote

Just an update: I installed new EIS safari wiper shafts, new WW shaft seals, new WW wiper arms, and new WW wiper blades. As per Clara, I carefully noted the installation of the blades to the arms. I removed the motor and shimmed out the gap between the linkage drive arm and the left wiper drive arm.

Now that everything is back in, tweaked, lubed, fresh, and carefully fitted, the right side wiper no longer over-sweeps EITHER side of the new Safaris I threw in while I was at it. Very Happy

Thank you everyone for your assistance!
Bob Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Right side wiper linkage rod length Reply with quote

does any one know the length of the right side linkage rod with both ball joints attached ?
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Right side wiper linkage rod length Reply with quote

Bob Lee wrote:
does any one know the length of the right side linkage rod with both ball joints attached ?

Pretty certain this was the right hand side. Looks to be 325mm.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: