Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A/C Advice--I messed up
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
menko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: A/C Advice--I messed up Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I just put a transmission cooler on, and while reading the directions to remove the bracket holding the power steering cooler on I accidentally unscrewed a torx bolt that released AC refrigerant instead. I quickly closed it, but it shot a bunch of yellow goop all over and not surprisingly my AC no longer cools.

What I wasn't sure of is whether this opened my system to air and I need to replace anything, or if I can take it and have them recharge the refrigerant level to get it 700 +/-50g of charge again. The AC worked perfectly fine prior to this, so hopefully no underlying issues. I just wanted to be sure if I took it a local AC person I knew what I was getting into.

Thanks in advance!
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Advice--I messed up Reply with quote

menko wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just put a transmission cooler on, and while reading the directions to remove the bracket holding the power steering cooler on I accidentally unscrewed a torx bolt that released AC refrigerant instead. I quickly closed it, but it shot a bunch of yellow goop all over and not surprisingly my AC no longer cools.

What I wasn't sure of is whether this opened my system to air and I need to replace anything, or if I can take it and have them recharge the refrigerant level to get it 700 +/-50g of charge again. The AC worked perfectly fine prior to this, so hopefully no underlying issues. I just wanted to be sure if I took it a local AC person I knew what I was getting into.

Thanks in advance!

It kind of sounds like you ran a screw through the condenser. There shouldn't be any screws that, when removed, release refrigerant. Is it possible that when you re-installed it you punctured the condenser?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: A/C Advice--I messed up Reply with quote

Have to system evacuated , pumped down for a few hours, then test to see if it hold vacuum. Then recharge by weight.

No need to replace drier if it has been exposed for less than 24 hours, you ve been open much less than that

Internet sheep might bleat differently.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: A/C Advice--I messed up Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Have to system evacuated , pumped down for a few hours, then test to see if it hold vacuum. Then recharge by weight.

No need to replace drier if it has been exposed for less than 24 hours, you ve been open much less than that

Internet sheep might bleat differently.

Baaa!

Seriously though, it might be helpful if the OP posted a picture here of the area of the leak, and annotate that picture to show which screw was removed. That way we'll all have a better idea of what happened.
menko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Advice--I messed up Reply with quote

Here's a close up of the screw I accidentally opened. Photo borrowed from whatavan.com as I had already put my grille back together.

I also should clarify, I loosened it only until the r134 shot out, and quickly tightened it back down--it never fully came out, but enough leaked out to make a mess.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Advice--I messed up Reply with quote

…which means you never let any air or moisture into your system as it never fell below atmospheric pressure. Find a good Ac shop and charge back by performance , no need to evacuate.
menko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Advice--I messed up Reply with quote

Sounds like I finally made a minor mistake instead of a major one Wink Thank you for the help!

MJ
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Advice--I messed up Reply with quote

Can't he just shot some more refrigerant in.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: A/C Advice--I messed up Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
Can't he just shot some more refrigerant in.

He can, but unless he has a set of A/C gauges/manifold, it will be a guestimate whether he adds the correct amount.

I don't think electrickery works that way
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: A/C Advice--I messed up Reply with quote

Option a: shoot some in
b: use gauges
c: evacuate and add by weight
I choose c
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: A/C Advice--I messed up Reply with quote

subdewd wrote:
Option a: shoot some in
b: use gauges
c: evacuate and add by weight
I choose c

Except C requires going to an AC shop anyway to recover charge.

If you blow charge into our breathing air you are a prick of epic proportions. This includes the people who just need to 'add a can each summer to get AC"

If you take it to the right shop, they can add charge to performance.
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: A/C Advice--I messed up Reply with quote

So b and c require going to a shop. Labor prevalent an hour either way so why not go by weight which is the proper. Plus while it's drawn down check for leaks. Just a thought
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Advice--I messed up Reply with quote

menko wrote:
Sounds like I finally made a minor mistake instead of a major one Wink Thank you for the help!

MJ

On the scale of Foxtrot Uniforms, it was a minor Charles foxwalk, yes.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
menko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: A/C Advice--I messed up Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, took it to the shop today and they are evacuating and recharging it. Next up, transmission cooler =)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: