Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What disc brake conversion have I got?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: What disc brake conversion have I got? Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of getting my 1303 Super roadworthy, and I've just finished rebuilding the replacement carb (the original was some Chinese thing which starved the engine of fuel).

Now it's got enough power to be properly driveable I've become very aware the brake pedal is so hard to push it's like stepping on a rock, and I'm scared to take it beyond 2nd gear because from previous experience I know with a pedal feel like that the brakes are going to be on/off with almost no modulation.

It's had a disc brake conversion at the front which has widened the track by about 4 inches and it had a Porsche steering wheel when I got it, so I'm wondering if it's had a partial 924/944 disc conversion, or if it's some other 3rd party kit.

Anyone able to identify what my car's got on it from this partial pic?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What disc brake conversion have I got? Reply with quote

Tough to tell from the pic, but that's a Varga type caliper that comes with most reasonably priced kits. Not a Brembo, not a Wilwood etc.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: What disc brake conversion have I got? Reply with quote

Doesn’t appear to be a 944 caliper
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What disc brake conversion have I got? Reply with quote

Need to see the caliper and pad shape.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: What disc brake conversion have I got? Reply with quote

Thanks all, I was kindof hoping it would be Porsche since that'd explain the extremely hard pedal, and it'd be worth more money 2nd hand when I remove it and return to drums Very Happy

Seems a shame to remove it in some ways, and maybe I've got a 19mm master cylinder rather than a 17mm (17mm would allow more pedal travel, giving less leg effort and better modulation), but given this is a relatively light car with a not very powerful engine, I think usability outweighs stopping force, at least for me.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What disc brake conversion have I got? Reply with quote

Maybe take the wheel off so you can take the brake pads out so the Samba members can see them . Also maybe you can see what brand caliper you have. Is there free play in the brake pedal.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What disc brake conversion have I got? Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
Tough to tell from the pic, but that's a Varga type caliper that comes with most reasonably priced kits. Not a Brembo, not a Wilwood etc.

correct, based on the portion visible. It should have two bleeder nipples also and two pins with a special wire holding the pads in place.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: What disc brake conversion have I got? Reply with quote

Think my drums are due to arrive today. Might take a few days for me to get the time to do anything with the Bug but I'll certainly post a picture of the pads and calipers once they're off the car
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: What disc brake conversion have I got? Reply with quote

Got the 2nd hand drums and struts yesterday (from a 73 model RHD 1600 1303 Super) and got a nasty shock when I compared them with what's on the car - mine's a 1973 model with steering box and idler, but it has been fitted with new struts, stub axles, anti roll bar and lower arms from a post-1974 model with a steering rack Shocked

At least that explains why the steering box's rods are all adjusted out to near the end of their range and why the front track is so massive, but I'm unable to return it to original specification because the earlier type of lower arms are no longer available from any of the parts stores I have checked.

So looks like I am stuck with the massive front track, but on the bright side, it means the wheel bearings aren't going to be under any stress, and finding replacement parts won't be so troublesome. It just means I'll have to work out how to increase the rear track by the same amount.

Also I've been unable to find any new post-74 stub axles which are designed to take the Super's 4 bolt drum backplate, but I have spotted some 2nd hand ones which may fit.

So I'm now stuck with a bit of a dilemma, do I

1) Fit a smaller diameter master cylinder (is post-74 the 17mm one?) to compensate for the disc brake conversion, and forget about fitting the correct parts for my car

2) Source some 2nd hand lower arms and hope they don't wear out (unlikely) or get bent (more likely)

3) Get those 2nd hand stub axles, and hope they don't wear out (they will, eventually, if they're not worn out already)

Option 3 would be stupid - I've got no idea how the camber will be affected when the car hits bumps, whether the castor is right, or if the steering is operating as it should (seems OK though), and also finding replacement stub axles in the future would be v tricky.
Option 2 is the most sensible, but would involve throwing away around $1200-1500 of brand new parts fitted by the PO, and spending maybe $3-400 on 2nd hand lower arms and the correct ARB. Oh, and refitting standard Beetle wheel arches rather than the flared ones it is currently wearing.
Option 1 also has questionable camber / castor (though the Super's front suspension travel isn't that accurate anyway, so it may not be a problem), but no worries finding parts.

Has anyone had any issues with using later parts on an earlier car like this, apart from having quite an aggressive "stance"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: