Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

Thanks for the story Westy46. Your lucky to have a cool shop like that in your area. 👍
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

To the original poster. It looks to me that you have tire sidewall clearance. If you’d like a little more, the arms are stamped sheetmetal and someone good with a hammer could get you a little more clearance if you find the sidewall rubbing the arm. I’ve never been a fan of spacers. Some are better than others and as recommended Christopher at T3 is who I’d reach out to. I have GW 16s on our 82 2wd. Been there since the beginning. Not had any rubbing problems up front and the sliding door just clears the R/R tire. For something that bolts up , doesn’t require crawling through junkyards, and machining, for the price I feel the GW alloys are a good overall value. No affiliation.
Westy46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

Thanks, I have emailed T3. I will discuss with Subaru next week also. Slider door opening is a new concern.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

Old knowledge shared now. "Offset" is the exact opposite of "ET", beware the numbers may not not jive for a fundamental reason(s). Don't try to "google" your way out of this mess. Consult Chris @ T3.

BK
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

Take the freaking wheel off and find out your et! Don't listen to the subaru dealer. There only goal is profit.
You need to know the offset of the rim and width.
Then decide if spacers are even to be considered. You need to find the information of what you have before you go relying on random internet replies.

I doubt your rims are et 23 that close to the upper ball joint, but what do I know? Maybe they are, but 8" wide? You have the info...find it and use it, then reach out to whom ever. It's not rocket science, there is a thread with 100+ pages about wheels. Maybe start there.

Last edited by Franklinstower on Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

If he's got these wheels it's a 7.5" wide rim with ET23. A 215 wide tire can appear pretty close like in the photo.

OP: I ran 215/16 65 Nokians WRC3s on these rims for years w/out spacers but it looked close like you're seeing. GW provided spacers with the early big brake kit after they had a warranty problem but I don't believe I used them (not helpful, I know).

https://gowesty.com/products/16-alloy-wheel-hardwa...5002594469

Also, cool story about your shop. It sounds like a dealer that actually likes cars.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Westy46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

Conclusion to the spacer question:

I received feedback from Chris at T3 Tech. and I will NOT be adding spacers to the wheels. I have pasted the comments from Chris at T3 Tech below for all to read and learn.

Chris's T3 Tech comment below:

There’s no problem with that amount of clearance. In fact, that’s quite a bit of clearance compared to many of the installations I’m used to dealing with. The rule of thumb is that if you have 3mm or more clearance, you are good to go. I know that sounds like very little, and it is, but it’s plenty.

Definitely DO NOT add spacers. That would be the incorrect thing to do. Those ASA wheels are already pushed outward too far as it is. Adding spacers will push them outward even further. The correct offset should be closer to ET30 (30mm). The wheels you have are ET23 (23mm). when the offset gets reduced too much poor handing/stability can happen because it negatively alters the scrub radius. You won’t notice it much when driving in a straight line, but it will rear its head during hard braking/emergency maneuvers

I learned once again and thanks for the comments.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

My preference is enough wheel clearance that using snow chains is an option.
Sometimes they are required.

I wonder what is the recommended clearance for snow chains?

Edit re:Jim909. (Ooops).
I use 4 chains at times on my F150 and brain-farted about this 2wd situation. I’ve never used chains on my Vanagons.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

Nice pictures, thanks for taking them & posting! 👍🏻
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
My preference is enough wheel clearance that using snow chains is an option.
Sometimes they are required.

I wonder what is the recommended clearance for snow chains?

I run snow chains often but w/ a 2WD w/TBD I put them on the rear wheels (okay for snow and my conditions aren't icy enough to require chains up front).

My guess is that these chains would not work up front.

Chains + 2WD + Peloquin has meant no haul outs yet (but I'm pretty cautious).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

campism wrote:
It's hard to see the detail in your photo. Here is a pic of the trial fit of a Mercedes CLK wheel on my 2WD '87. No contact yet in thousands of miles.

Now you make me want to look also!

I decided on no spacers with my CLKs.

No spacers front or back.

ET32 as I recall. 5mm not worth it. Plus no rear stud replacement needed in back.

I just slapped them on. No rub. Correct balls on nuts.

Me too, many thousands of happy miles and on my second set of 215/65-16 also....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
It takes a special kind of mechanic to work on them and if the shop has only 'normal' mechanics they can't take in this kind of work.

It means your local VW service is shit, not surprising me given how pathetic VWOA in general is. They can't overcome their penis envy of Mercedes and BMW and think just ACTING like an expensive German carmaker will one day make them one.

HERE (midwest) the dealerships work on anything if you will pay the freight. The average dealership these days make far more money off service than car sales. I frequently take a Dodge work vehicle to a Ford dealership for service because it is out of my way by a few interstate exits to take it to a Jeep or Dodge dealer. So far that has just been brakes, fluids, and suspension, not anything serious. Their oil change rates are even as cheap as the local quicky lube like places and I don't have to wonder what they really have in those 55 gallon drums that they pump into my engine. I doubt that they'd do any very nuanced work like rebuilding a transmission though, but I doubt any dealerships rebuild transmissions anymore anyway.

r39o wrote:
I just slapped them on. No rub. Correct balls on nuts.
trying to resist......

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: