Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who keeps a backup engine?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

Back Up.....????

Hell...my shorty doesn't even have it's own engine!!

It has gone 7000miles in 2 years with 6 different customer engines. Laughing

I wish I had an extra minute to be able to put a back up engine together.

Brian
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

I keep a spare turnkey Type 4 2L for my bus. I bought it from my buddy who totaled his bus. It cost me less then one new head.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

I built a turbo 2074cc last winter,, so yea ,it's a backup Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

RCP Phx wrote:
I keep a stock 1600 for my emissions motor for all the cars that won't pass(all of them)!

In Arizona, (Maricopa and Pima counties) residents of the greater Phoenix and Tucson areas and those who regularly commute into the areas for work or school are required to have their 1967 or newer vehicles pass an emissions test. Yearly testing is mandatory for all vehicles produced from 1967 to 1980 in those two counties.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

I keep a nice running 40hp to use in a pinch. It runs well but nobody really wants to drive it much cause it’s so slow, so it always finds its way back to the spot under the bench. If it was a stronger runner it might never return to “spare” duty Wink
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

I have given it some thought. I do have 4 air cooled cars but two of them are type 4, one is stock FI Squareback and the other a Buggy with Weber’s. Then there is the type 3 Squareback FI and a sand rail with a single carb, single port upright. No single spare will work for all of them and it is too pricy to have 4 spares. Just the wiring and fuel systems alone make it impractical to have one spare cover all.

I am in the “just run a spare car” camp. Non of mine are daily drivers that I depend on anyway.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
but in reality you should have a spare car, not engine.

That’s my current angle. Now that I built a ‘65 beetle, I DD that and save my ‘71 Westy for trips. It feels good to save the camper motor. I also have a truck for the snow and to haul shot to the transfer station.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

I have a spare....but it isn't assembled.
I'm banking the motivation will come... when the time comes.

not saying it's a good plan, but, it's a plan.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I have given it some thought. I do have 4 air cooled cars but two of them are type 4, one is stock FI Squareback and the other a Buggy with Weber’s. Then there is the type 3 Squareback FI and a sand rail with a single carb, single port upright. No single spare will work for all of them and it is too pricy to have 4 spares. Just the wiring and fuel systems alone make it impractical to have one spare cover all.

I am in the “just run a spare car” camp. Non of mine are daily drivers that I depend on anyway.

I hear you brother. It’s nice to have a spare car. I can’t drive them all daily either Wink I do have a spare engine for the Vanagon too. My buses are high mileage cars. The spares will be needed soonish. The type 1 only has 12k miles. Should be good for awhile.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

If someone can spot me a few bucks, I'd love to have a backup for this Wink

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
If someone can spot me a few bucks, I'd love to have a backup for this Wink

What’s going on with it? Are you thinking the engine is near the end of its usefulness. It’s a beautiful engine. Maybe you could crack it open and harvest some parts for another build. I hope you don’t need a back up engine. If you do I’m sure I could procure some parts for you. Is that engine from your daily driver? I’d be happy to start a GoFundMe to get you back on the road. LMK.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
I want to see that fucking engine roll. Bad…. ass! Please pm me some racing links.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

I have a spare engine for all three of my cars.
Clear out - tins, exhaust, ignition, etc.
Actually the bus has three and the Beetle now too.. Embarassed

What can i say? I like building engines!
Plus, it’s always fun to try new things, right?

A couple of the milder ones are likely to get sold off.
Hard to do when they get built with love.

When shit happens, and it will… You just swap them in a weekend.
Anyone who says they build motors that don’t break doesn’t actually drive them. Rolling Eyes

Yeah,
I have a couple cars with radiators and one that’s electric.
But those kinds of cars suck.. Razz

What’s That Noise?!?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Anyone who says they build motors that don’t break doesn’t actually drive them. Rolling Eyes
Yeah

Looks like I’m picking up a Type 1 spare engine soon. How are we loading that on the plane? See you next week buddy. Cool

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
I have a spare engine for all three of my cars.
Clear out - tins, exhaust, ignition, etc.
Actually the bus has three and the Beetle now too.. :oops:

What can i say? I like building engines!
Plus, it’s always fun to try new things, right?

Anyone who says they build motors that don’t break doesn’t actually drive them. :roll:

Yeah,
I have a couple cars with radiators and one that’s electric.
But those kinds of cars suck.. :P

Let me know if you want to sell one!
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

I keep 2 spare engines - when I was in school. I cannot afford a downtime if it craps out coz I had to work too.

But a single spare engine should be plenty.

I get lots of spare parts after rebuilds so no point keeping them in loose condition. MIght as well build them up after some refreshing. Bag them and they are good for awhile.

It is like going to battle - you need a primary and secondary weapons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

I did need my spare, on Saturday eve 7pm Fathers Day cruise the 2074cc lost a pushrod ,, towed it home 14 miles Embarassed
Slapped it the 2180cc at 5 am ,,Fired up & running by 8ish? and drove to the Carshow ,couldn't lift my arms all day Laughing also I'm saving up for some tapered Manton Push rods,Cheers,Mike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

I hear you brother. It’s nice to have a spare car. I can’t drive them all daily either Wink I do have a spare engine for the Vanagon too. My buses are high mileage cars. The spares will be needed soonish. The type 1 only has 12k miles. Should be good for awhile.

Plenty of room on that lawn for a few more
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

frenchroast wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Plenty of room on that lawn for a few more

Vanagons are like bad tattoos, once you get one you have to get more

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

Over the years, Porsche 356 customers would buy my manual for installation of an upright converted T-4 engine to replace their 356 engines.

Their reasoning was they wanted to enjoy driving their cars and not worry about damaging their much more expensive 356 engine.

The T-4 could be modified to put out much more power, and look stock, costing less for the mod. .

Keeping the 356 as a back up was like money in the bank if they ever wanted to sell the Porsche.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Who keeps a backup engine? Reply with quote

several...

from 1300cc to 2442cc...

But I have a few cars as well...so I guess I have back up engines AND back up cars..

just took a "back-up" car and engine to the finals last weekend Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: