Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual 40DCNF on a 40hp
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Dual 40DCNF on a 40hp Reply with quote

I now have a nice vintage set of 40dcnf carburetors, and the manifolds and cool looking SCAT air filters. I have another thread about them here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9881672&highlight=#9881672
But I think vintage speed is where my questions are best asked. I really want to use these to make a strong and flexible engine. The easy way would be to put them on an 1700 69mm engine. BUT, I just can’t do things the easy way.

My very strange engine combo:
40hp block bored for 88 or 92mm
Stock 1600 heads with 1:1.15 lifters
“Cheater” or 110 cam
DPR 64mm crankshaft - reduced stroke counterweighted
1 3/8 extractor and hideaway muffler.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Why 40hp block and 64mm? I hope it will pull the heads inboard. These carbs don’t fit beetle engine bays well.

88x64 gives 1557cc which seems small for the carburetors
92x64 gives 1702 which seems perfect.

So everything is strange, difficult and expensive. (OK by me!)
I could really use some advice. Is there another combination that makes a “skinny” engine? Is this combo going to have any drivability at all? The engine will go in my wife’s ‘64 convertible.
She only has two requests:
1. Use the cool SCAT filters
2. Make it fun to drive in town
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dual 40DCNF on a 40hp Reply with quote

What rods are you going to use? I think you are going to need rods with 22MM small ends to fit the big bore pistons, I think 40hp rods are 20mm on the small end.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: