Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Custom German Look
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Also planning to do door panel similar to this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

1st attempt at an all glue no sew door panel!

I should have put a little more thought into lining up the plaid between the front and rear panels

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Plan to add a carbon fiber insert with some type of Porsche or VW emblem.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Tweeked the bumper so it looks less bulky. Now somewhat resembles a Porsche 356 bumper. Plan to give it the body color treatment, flush turn signals, & possibly push it closer to the body!

DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Initial headliner install. Have a few wrinkles along the edges that will need to be pealed back and reworked.

DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

3rd attempt at a door panel

The blue painted panel section on the door seems out of place….plan to replace it with a carbon fiber.

Painted front bumper
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
LED taillights. Wife said I’ve done too many mods at this point to install stock taillights so I’m going with these with he chrome blacked out. I will probably go with a 3rd brake light mounted in the grill.

Not feeling theses rear turn signals….plan to replace with some stock units.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Tail lights
Factory or aftermarket??

Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Tail lights
Factory or aftermarket??

Of the two options, factory looks better IMO. Cool

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Factory.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

My rocker panels/running boards covered in carbon fiber look tap. Will be clear coated.

DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Another idea I borrowed from Porsche. Color coded tunnel console & door seals….still working on alignment issues. Some carpet under the tunnel console & the emergency handle boot will need some trimming.

DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Seats inserts done. Unfortunately the original stitching on the rest of the seats from the seller was done in red & I’m not willing to spend what it would take to redo in blue.

Next on the schedule is to tidy up everything below the fuel tank, steering coupler, damper, fuel lines, alignment, all nuts/bolts, etc b4 final install of the tank. I thought about installing the tank on hinges for easy excess below but if I do everything right I shouldn’t need to remove it anytime soon.

In car shot:

Red stitching is a distraction…..wife suggested going over it with a black maker.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Gauge overload and I still have one more gauge(air/fuel ratio) to install!
I plan to replace the VDO speedometer with a gps version.

https://www.amazon.com/ELING-Waterproof-Speedomete...&psc=1
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Following along and watching this project evolve. Hoping to see a youtube video later, taped by a crew in another vehicle, of this thing ripping around the roads.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Looks like an airplane cockpit with all those gauges. Very cool.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Replaced the VDO speedometer with a GPS version. Slightly larger than the VDO & was a pita to hand file the carbon fiber dash to make it fit.

Also started working on the trunk area. I will probably either cut back the carpet to expose the fuel tank or make a black tweed covered panel just ahead of the tank. Spent too much time color matching the fuel tank to cover it up!

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Where did you mount the GPS antenna? I'm pondering on where to put mine and am leaning towards outside on a front bumper bracket.

p.s. the tank is too sexy for its shirt.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Where did you mount the GPS antenna? I'm pondering on where to put mine and am leaning towards outside on a front bumper bracket.

p.s. the tank is too sexy for its shirt.

The gps antenna is a small block about an 1” square and 3/8” thick. Since I will not be installing the windshield wiper spray nozzle(at least for the time being) I will mount the antenna over the spray nozzle opening with the antenna hard line coming up thru that hole.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09X44D97L?pd_rd_i=B09X4...e39997c0e2

The bumper mounted option may in the end be better??

Last edited by DerrickfromNC1 on Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: