Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lost my lease, everything must go......
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Lost my lease, everything must go...... Reply with quote

........to another place. After a delightful 6 year tenancy the owner has decided to demo my garage and build high density "granny flats". Danm. I'm getting too old to be moving. Now that the whining is over, get to business.

IN SAN DIEGO

I'm looking for 500 - 800 sq/ft. Within a 20 minute drive from South Mission Beach Looking for long term.

Currently in Clairemont.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I need a new home. If anyone know of a space, please let ne know.

Thanks
Don Scott
dgsaz
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my lease, everything must go...... Reply with quote

Lots of homes w/ huge garages in the midwest. Maybe look there.

Better get going on the purchase, the market will get worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my lease, everything must go...... Reply with quote

ummm wihout knowing the specifics and thinking outside the box (kind of). since the land is there, why not see if the landlord will let you stay & do a landlease and put your own granny flat on it. You could do a boxabl modular they are 400 sqft and stackable. 400 garage with 400 living space above. Just a shot.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my lease, everything must go...... Reply with quote

How much time do you have?

RE prices in California are leveling or dropping, as a result of higher interest rates and inflation making folks more conservative. Any chance you can buy?

Try looking in the listings for SD area VW clubs. They might have recommendations for a place where you can have your VW stuff.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my lease, everything must go...... Reply with quote

I live in san diego, with rent prices, you are looking at 2 or 2.5K a month and long term would be 1 year. Alot of places that had granny flats are being built out because of more lax zoing laws now. Good luck
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Lost my lease, everything must go...... Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
I live in san diego, with rent prices, you are looking at 2 or 2.5K a month and long term would be 1 year. Alot of places that had granny flats are being built out because of more lax zoning laws now. Good luck

Funny (or not)... goons in Sacramento, believing they need to expand the supply of affordable housing, force cities to build more housing, even in areas already built out, so they allow more grannie flats. So in an attempt to provide more affordable housing, people are forced out of their affordable housing... Rolling Eyes
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my lease, everything must go...... Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
chrisflstf wrote:
I live in san diego, with rent prices, you are looking at 2 or 2.5K a month and long term would be 1 year. Alot of places that had granny flats are being built out because of more lax zoning laws now. Good luck

Funny (or not)... goons in Sacramento, believing they need to expand the supply of affordable housing, force cities to build more housing, even in areas already built out, so they allow more grannie flats. So in an attempt to provide more affordable housing, people are forced out of their affordable housing... Rolling Eyes

We live in Ocean Beach, a 99% built out area for the past 50 years. With the new zoning laws and state mandates, it is now possible to have *4* separate living units on a lot zoned single family. On almost every block I now see at least one ADU/Granny Flat under construction. Oh and there is no requirement for additional off street parking for these extra living units.

Now if I was 30 years younger I would already be building one. The area over the current garage is large enough for a one bedroom that would have separate access from the street. Rent for a 1 bedroom is $2200-2600 in this area. Even with mortgage money at 5.5%, the ADU would have a positive cash flow.

However I am not in my 40s but approaching 70. My neighborhood is being severely impacted by overcrowding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my lease, everything must go...... Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
chrisflstf wrote:

Funny (or not)... goons in Sacramento, believing they need to expand the supply of affordable housing, force cities to build more housing, even in areas already built out, so they allow more grannie flats. So in an attempt to provide more affordable housing, people are forced out of their affordable housing... :roll:

We live in Ocean Beach, a 99% built out area for the past 50 years. With the new zoning laws and state mandates, it is now possible to have *4* separate living units on a lot zoned single family. On almost every block I now see at least one ADU/Granny Flat under construction. Oh and there is no requirement for additional off street parking for these extra living units.

Now if I was 30 years younger I would already be building one. The area over the current garage is large enough for a one bedroom that would have separate access from the street. Rent for a 1 bedroom is $2200-2600 in this area. Even with mortgage money at 5.5%, the ADU would have a positive cash flow.

However I am not in my 40s but approaching 70. My neighborhood is being severely impacted by overcrowding.

That is crazy-so much for planning when the infrastructure cannot support the building.

Adding to the parking problem is people converting their garages for rental units so no more garage parking.
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my lease, everything must go...... Reply with quote

I took a look a sweet little 1000 sq ft shop today.
2 overhead doors, power, shared restroom, outside canopy, big air compressor.
Former offices of a small trucking company.

Right off the 5 on Pacific Highway. 12 minutes from the house.

The real jewel is all the old machinery. Wood and steel working tools. Drill presses, table saws, 20 ton press, all kinds of great stuff.

The trustee for the property told the broker "take anything you want" it will same me from getting rid of it. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

The rub is the lease rate, $1750 per month. I can't swing that much for a hobby garage. But if I could.......

dgsaz
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my lease, everything must go...... Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:
The rub is the lease rate, $1750 per month. I can't swing that much for a hobby garage. But if I could.......

dgsaz

Man I loved my years in Cali and would never take them back...but this right here is the reason it wasn't sustainable...

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Lost my lease, everything must go...... Reply with quote

If I were single, I would sell the acreage and buy something like that to live in. The shop I used to work out of here in town came up for sale for a very reasonable dollar. All it would have taken was to add a shower to the bathroom and a few small changes to the office area to make a two bedroom suite on the front. The back had a high enough ceiling for a hoist and enough room for 6 cars. The air compressor was still there too.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lost my lease, everything must go...... Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:
I took a look a sweet little 1000 sq ft shop today.
2 overhead doors, power, shared restroom, outside canopy, big air compressor.
Former offices of a small trucking company.

Right off the 5 on Pacific Highway. 12 minutes from the house.

The real jewel is all the old machinery. Wood and steel working tools. Drill presses, table saws, 20 ton press, all kinds of great stuff.

The trustee for the property told the broker "take anything you want" it will same me from getting rid of it. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

dgsaz

too bad wrong coast...
I can set you up in 2500sq/ft for $2000month in my building....w/ 1 to 5yr no increases
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: