Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

I remember when I disassembled my car, I removed the generator before dropping the engine to make it a little lighter.
I undid the 4 bolts that mount the generator backing plate to the fan shroud, and removed the generator strap that holds it to the gen stand. I don't recall loosening the fan shroud (although I might have), but my carb had been removed. I tilted the generator downwards slightly while pulling forward (which loosened the belt enough to remove it). Once the cooling fan was clear of the fan shroud, I simply lifted it out of the engine bay.

If you're pulling up on the generator before pulling forward you may be causing the cooling fan to catch on the fan shroud. I think you're way overthinking this man!

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

Ok, I got the generator out. Luckily the back stud (probably the hardest to get to) came out with the nut. So, there's that. Also, getting the alternator stand up past the manifold is difficult. But all in all, success!!

Now, couple questions. First, I want to get a new oil reservoir and filler but all the ones I am seeing are straight. Mine has a couple bends in it (see pics). Second, where would I get the tool to remove the reservoir from the alternator stand? Oreilly's doesn't have it.

Also, thanks to all for taking the time to help a newbie. I would like to repay but it seems most here are way ahead of me in the skills arena. I am a sculptor so if you have sculpture questions, fire away. LOL.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

Turns out, I'm retard. That tube is just a breather tube with a rubber boot on the end. But I still need the tool to change the oil filler.
vwmerckx Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

Fighting Fish: Swim downstream not upstream....no such thing as a VW retard Smile
Two options: the tool originally designed for this task and the internal pipe wrench
Both can be purchased from any VW parts vendor - and the internal pipe wrench can also be purchased from your local hardware store.
The internal pipe wrench seems to get a better purchase on the nut with no chance of slipping off
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

Since you have I off now, I would suggest you pull the manifold if is still a stock single port motor. Take a 1/4 inch wire and run it through with a drill in reverse. If you pull the manifold, I would recommend grinding down the flange that the nuts hold down, as it is a crazy tight to get a wrentch on the drivers side nuts.
Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion but that is more than I want to take on right now. Momma wants it back on the road and I have all winter and a nice garage if I want to go that direction.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

I hope you got an alternator stand with that alternator.
You also might find you have interference problems with the carburetor accelerator pump mechanism and might have to clearance the alternator body so it works. Meaning you have to use a grinder to remove some of the metal of the alternator.
You also have to rewire the out put from the alternator since the voltage regulator is deleted.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

I did get a stand. And grinding for clearance is no problem. Neither is wiring.

I will say, I am now purchasing from Jbugs. Mainly because I like their website better and they have suggestions to go with whatever you purchase. I need that.
Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

So, an update. I finally got everything from Jbugs. They took twice as long as M and T. But I've gotten most everything back in. I have run into a problem. The oil filler they gave me won't fit the alternator stand without some grinding (I hope).

Couple of notes: loosening the shroud was a game changer. And that little small arc pin in the spine that holds the fan in, well, don't let that slip into the alternator or you'll have to remove the mounting plate TWICE. But all in all, we're getting there.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: