Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 914 have two different types of FANs
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mturner7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Porsche 914 have two different types of FANs Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm building a 914-4, 1975 1.8L Big Bore, 2056cc. I just took apart a different 914-4 1972 1.7L, and the FANs are different. See the photos:

This is the item I need help on.

1) The FAN I took off the 1972 1.7 is the older style, it matches the "Porsche 914 Cooling System" breakout found on several different websites. See below photo.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2) The above Cooling system/FAN breakdown shows a spacer (#3) under the FAN. I think that spacer is only for the old style FAN, see a photo of the older FAN below:

Old style FAN from a 1972 914-4

3) New style FAN (1.8L 1975) it could be off of a 1975 2.0L

Does anyone think the newer FAN needs the spacer?

I did see a couple posts where people had alignment issues between the FAN and Alternator. This spacer does push the FAN out 2mm.

Also, I can't find any drawings with the new FAN type. Could this FAN (new one) be from a Bus, VW, 912, Type 1, 2, or 3 engine etc...?

After writing this post and doing a dry fit of the spacer on both FANs, I'm leaning towards PUTTING THE SPACER ON the newer FAN.
It looks like it is needed for clearance and/or structural integrity between the FAN and the Engine Fan Hub. The newer FAN did not come with a spacer!

Thx -Monte
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 have two different types of FANs Reply with quote

never noticed a difference before they all need the spacer yes
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 have two different types of FANs Reply with quote

The spacer was in place from the factory. It gets removed if you install the AC pulley in its place on a type 4 engine.

Yes....there are two main "types" of fan...that are 914 specific. But there are several 914 specific fans that have different timing marks depending on model. There are roughly 5 or 6 type 4 fans that will bolt right up and work fine.

The first fan you are showing was the original fan used on the VW 411 1.7L and went all the way through early 914 and into early bus. It is also missing the rubber spinner in the center.

Here are some of my notes on fans if it helps.

Information on the spacer and AC pulley

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686844&start=0

Type 4 fans and timing marks

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8776292&highlight=#8776292

More on type 4 fans and timing marks

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mturner7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 have two different types of FANs Reply with quote

Thx Ray,

That's great info, i figured that spacer is important. I need to get another one for my other engine (1.8L) when i start the rebuild of it. I found one for $25 on ebay, that's a rip off. I'm going to keep looking for one. I found another one for $5.25, but they said they were out of them at the moment.

Thx again Ray.

Mnte
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: