Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mexican Beetle exhaust question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MDeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Mexican Beetle exhaust question Reply with quote

1970 Mexican Beetle - I'm wanting to put an extractor exhaust on. Is this possible? If so, can anybody provide a part number?
Thanks!
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Beetle exhaust question Reply with quote

What kind of engine is in it?
MDeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Beetle exhaust question Reply with quote

fuel injected 1600
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Beetle exhaust question Reply with quote

Photos of engine, please? (above and below if possible). Likely, a VW supplier has a part for the equivalent US model/year, but this is not 100% guaranteed.
USA equipment varied so we may not be able to advise well.

Fuel injection was not standard for Beetles in 1970, so at least post up the engine number so we know what case and vintage.

Also, you might check this thread, or message those who posted with similar Beetles:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583972

Lastly, since VW didn't provide extractor exhaust systems, there won't be a "part number."
MDeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Beetle exhaust question Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Beetle exhaust question Reply with quote

Can't be sure, but that apron looks later than '70. '72 at least, maybe '74 apron?

Edit: Looks like you asked this question in the MexiForum but didn't get an answer.

I'm not a late Bug expert at all. The bulged apron was for the larger muffler and maybe upcoming cat converter, possibly.

I suspect the real determining factor is not the body, but what heat exchangers you are running, and on what engine. Photos underneath would help, as may the engine number.
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Beetle exhaust question Reply with quote

MDeath wrote:
1970 Mexican Beetle - I'm wanting to put an extractor exhaust on. Is this possible? If so, can anybody provide a part number?
Thanks!

You can install a Sport Exhaust, which deletes the catalytic converter. You can get them from Antonio in Mexico.

2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MDeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Beetle exhaust question Reply with quote

who?!!
I was looking for an extractor type exhaust...
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Beetle exhaust question Reply with quote

Unless you know how to tweak L-Jet FI don't miss with it or it will run like crap.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Beetle exhaust question Reply with quote

Looks like a carb on that engine, though we still don't know the vintage of that motor... or car!
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Beetle exhaust question Reply with quote

It’s 2000? Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Beetle exhaust question Reply with quote

It's FI only exhaust outlet.
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Beetle exhaust question Reply with quote

You could go with Vintage Speed Exhaust, both that have I shown have the port for a O2 sensor. You may need to buy what you want & have someone drill & weld a fitting on.

GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Beetle exhaust question Reply with quote

that's a late 90s - early 2000s FI Mexican beetle titled as a 1970 (likely a re-pan). Hence the confusion.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Beetle exhaust question Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Unless you know how to tweak L-Jet FI don't miss with it or it will run like crap.

not L-Jet, it uses a version of Digifant II. Provided that the new exhaust has a Lambda probe mounting provision, It can be set up digitally through a computer.

MDeath:
I'd suggest taking a look at the CSP catalogue, most of their exhausts can be ordered with a Lambda probe socket (they are not cheap, though)
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: