Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine first start
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ccrussell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Engine first start Reply with quote

Hi,
Well I a finally going to attempt to start my Ghia. A 1776 .
It needed a new cylinder/piston , so I changed out all 4 piston/cyls.
Valves adjusted etc. This is a car that was a garage find that has sat for nearly 30 years. My question is this;
there is an existing external spin-on oil filter, and external cooler with electric fan. Appears to be a thermostat in the oil circuit also. I am thinking I want to prime and start this motor without the cooling circuit installed.
Does this is sound like smart way to proceed? I thought I would just connect the two external nipples at the bottom of the motor with a loop of pressure hose. Later reconnect the cooling circuit after the motor is running.
Anyway to safely calculate the additional oil the cooling circuit would require? It is a pH-8a Fram filter located above and forward of the transmission,(which I will replace of course before using),and then the additional length of hoses to connect all the parts. Any advice for this newby appreciated .
Russ.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Engine first start Reply with quote

Does it still have the stock oil cooler in place?
If so I see no problem bypassing the external set up.
As far as how much oil to fill it? Hard to say.
If the cooler is higher than the sump the oil may drain down when the engine is off making the stick read over full.
I’d fill it to the line and crank the engine with the coil disconnected until the pressure warning light goes out then check the level and top off as necessary

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ccrussell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine first start Reply with quote

Hello,
Yes original oil cooler still in place. I was thinking the same thing with the additional oil quantity. Afterwards I thought I would fill the filter, then the oil hoses as much as possible, keeping a measured note of how much I’m using, and add a line to the dipstick.
Thanks for the reply.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: