Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front disc brake conversion question…
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sniperx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

I’m going to be converting to front discs soon. I’m overseas in Japan so it’s kind of a one shot deal. My bus is a 67. I want to keep my stock 15 wheels. What I’m really after is a caliper with a common, easy to source brake pad. I don’t want to be locked into something specialized I can’t find anywhere.

Any ideas?
dtadpole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

I don't have this personally but have seen many people use this kit since the calipers and brakes are readily available. Many threads on here about this kit also. Check it out. EZ-Stop kit - https://type-emotorsports.com/collections/type-2-b...-brake-kit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

that kit above ^ is the only one you need to be looking at.
Sniperx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

Now THATS what I’m talking about. Off the shelf parts….
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

Sniperx wrote:
My bus is a 67. I want to keep my stock 15 wheels.

Your 67 should have 14" wheels. Earlier Busses had 15".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sniperx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

SHOULD is the key word. I hunted for 5 nice crows feet wheels for a loooong time. I wanted more ride height since it’s a camper and I have AC fans and and oil cooler fan under there. So yes…they SHOULD be 14s….they are now 15s.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

it has stock 15 inch wheels, just not stock on that bus

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

I used the Airkewld BAD conversion. I'm sure you can find the pads and bearings on the shelf at Amazon. Laughing

https://www.airkewld.com/Classic-VW-Front-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Kit-4152-p/4152.htm

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

Airkewld does not work with stock wheels. The Type E kit, you can get rotors, calipers or pads anywhere- oriellys, autozone, rock auto, napa, amazon. Those standard parts were on millions of GM cars
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
I used the Airkewld BAD conversion. I'm sure you can find the pads and bearings on the shelf at Amazon. Laughing

https://www.airkewld.com/Classic-VW-Front-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Kit-4152-p/4152.htm

They do not show a price! How much did you pay? Confused
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

I installed AC industries disc kit. It states it works with stock 14 inch wheels but my father in law installed the same kit and he runs 14 inch wheels. It does not clear. I am running 15 inch wheels on my 66 and I grounded some of the calipers so the wheels clear.

I like the kit posted since it seems off the shelf parts. AC industries does not seem that way. The only benefit to AC industries is that it came with everything I needed minus brake fluid and grease.

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

der58SC wrote:
The only benefit to AC industries is that it came with everything I needed minus brake fluid and grease.

^^^^ This!^^^^ 🧐
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
DubStyle wrote:

They do not show a price! How much did you pay? Confused

I can't remember it's been a couple years. It's a nice kit with all you need, except grease and brake fluid. Laughing I'll see if I can find an email with the receipt. I know it wasn't cheap, but reasonable and with Willwood calipers if that makes a difference. I liked the way he designed the hub vs others at the time.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

Sniperx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

Nope, first one is perfect. Off the shelf parts, part numbers and car models listed. Exactly what I had in mind. It’s not a race car…it’s a camper. Multi piston calipers are over kill for this kind of car. I don’t mind sourcing the calipers and stuff mysrelf, small price to pay for universal fitment.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
der58SC wrote:
The only benefit to AC industries is that it came with everything I needed minus brake fluid and grease.

^^^^ This!^^^^ 🧐

^^^^ This! I've installed several AC kits and very happy with them.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
der58SC wrote:

^^^^ This!^^^^ 🧐

Not to mention that it can all be installed, running and stopping inside 1 day! Cool
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Bruce Amacker wrote:

Not to mention that it can all be installed, running and stopping inside 1 day! Cool

Isn't this just about any kit on the market? I had the BAD installed in about 4 hours. The hardest part was the new master cylinder and that is because I couldn't find my push rod. Laughing

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

Sniperx wrote:
Nope, first one is perfect. Off the shelf parts, part numbers and car models listed. Exactly what I had in mind. It’s not a race car…it’s a camper. Multi piston calipers are over kill for this kind of car. I don’t mind sourcing the calipers and stuff mysrelf, small price to pay for universal fitment.

Wagenswest's Babystang also uses off the shelf calipers (Willwood), pads and rotors (Ford Mustang II, very popular with hot rod boys), albeit rotors are machined to reduce diameter. I'm willing to bet I won't have to replace those rotors in my lifetime.

I do like the E Motorsports a lot. I found the Wagenswest adapters and Willwood calipers too sexy to resist, though.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

Russ's kit (Old Speed) uses off the shelf parts as well. Another solid option to consider.

There's a monster thread on all the options for feedback on all the kits.
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

I just bought the type e kit and sourced the rotors and calipers off rock auto. I'm all in for under $800 including the type e 67 master cylinder conversion and had all the parts in 4 days. In my mind that is a screaming deal for the quality and tech support that comes with the kit, not to mention not having to worry about rotors or pads being one off or discontinued.

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: