Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just Installed NAPA rear shocks
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
simd0ggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Just Installed NAPA rear shocks Reply with quote

The ends seem a bit narrower than the Boge that I removed. Seems like I am squeezing the bracket together to get them tight. I tried not tightening them too much and bending the brackets together, but they knock when I drive. Anyone else deal with this? I thought I read a post a while back, but now cannot find it...

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I just replaced all of my shocks with some Gabriel Ultras. Inexpensive and very happy with them.

Mine fit nice and snugg in those bolt brackets. I assume with no photos that you are referring to the space inside the brackets. You have lots of play? I would think that the spacing is pretty standard for all shocks.

I think you have the wrong shocks on there.
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not ideal, but perhaps you could introduce a washer or two between the shock fitting and the baracket (i.e. inside the the bracket) to take up the excess and allow full tightening.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the clearance is no more than 1/8" or so, tighten them down... Tight! The metal sleeves inside of the rubber cushions of the shocks should be held tightly within the mounts on the frame of the vehicle.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
simd0ggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I cranked them down tight, all seems fine... But I'm looking at Bentley page 42.3, showing how to press in/out the shock absorber bushings. Was I supposed to press them into the new shocks? The new shocks seemed to already have the right hole in the end, now I'm feeling a bit retarded.

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seanjenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got these shocks on my van as well. There shouldn't be too much play, maybe a little, which is not a big deal. Don't worry about swapping bushings either, just tighten them down real good.
The nuts on those lower bolts like to back off, so a little blue locktite works wonders. Better yet, replace the old nuts with the nylock variety.
simd0ggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, great. I'm just feeling stupid tonight...

VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simd0ggie wrote:
Okay, great. I'm just feeling stupid tonight...

Great our work here is done!

Just kidding.. How are the shocks now? Wink
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"
simd0ggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their great. Definitely an improvement, especially over the bridge in windy conditions today. It's funny, all the cars I've had, and this is the first time I ever ~changed~ the shocks! I've removed and reinstalled them, but never switched to a different brand, and I don't like little dimensional differences very much... Thanks

alnvilma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the knocking on rear shocks with new Monroes. Tightened them up real tight and end of the noise. Talking shocks; the Monroe shocks are relatively cheap but too firm. Just ok for the heavier rear end but just beat the tar out of the front end till I swapped them out for non-gas pressurized Mahle (sp).
Now the ride is so much better!
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Just Installed NAPA rear shocks Reply with quote

Bringing this thread back from the dead because...

PO installed these NAPA shocks (yes, they're completely shot!), and to accommodate the narrower sleeves the 'technician' cranked down the bolts. This has bent the body attachments inward. My new shocks (Bilstein XHDs), which are the stock width, are now too wide to fit.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to bend the body mounts outward a few mm? I've tried using a pry bar, but the attachment point steel is thick gauge and in an awkward location to get much leverage or apply a BFH.

I thought about creating a leverage device with a bolt and some nuts and plates where I could turn the nuts to force the plates outward. I'm not sure exactly how to implement that and I'm open to any other ideas.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Just Installed NAPA rear shocks Reply with quote

hammer in a wedge is my first thought. Like literally a metal wood splitting wedge, sideways. Just a first thought. May be a dumb one.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Just Installed NAPA rear shocks Reply with quote

can you narrow down the jaws on a large cresent wrench and put it over the ears to bend with? a cresent is always my go-to metal flange straightener!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Just Installed NAPA rear shocks Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
hammer in a wedge is my first thought. Like literally a metal wood splitting wedge, sideways. Just a first thought. May be a dumb one.

I like the physics of your idea, but the upper mount is in an awkward position for wielding the BFH.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Just Installed NAPA rear shocks Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
can you narrow down the jaws on a large cresent wrench and put it over the ears to bend with? a cresent is always my go-to metal flange straightener!

I like this idea, although I've broken a couple of crescents before at the jaws when I applied too much force. I do have a set of HF crescents, so it wouldn't be a huge loss if I broke them. Thank you.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Just Installed NAPA rear shocks Reply with quote

It would be easy to fabricate a tool using a large bolt, a nut and a couple small plates. One plate drilled for the bolt and nut. The other plate to “press” of of. This will give you control over the task. Would not use the shock bolts for this. Don’t want to damage the threads.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Just Installed NAPA rear shocks Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
It would be easy to fabricate a tool using a large bolt, a nut and a couple small plates. One plate drilled for the bolt and nut. The other plate to “press” of of. This will give you control over the task. Would not use the shock bolts for this. Don’t want to damage the threads.

I was gonna suggest to put a bolt and 2 nuts inside the gap to spread the plates.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Just Installed NAPA rear shocks Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

Thanks, Mark. I'm still trying to picture the construction of the proposed solution/tool. The upper mount has a captive nut outside of the inner plate.

Looking from the rear:

0| |

(where 0=captive nut and |=mount plates)

Would this work?
Insert a sacrificial bolt into the outer plate's hole.
Thread a sacrificial nut onto the bolt.
Thread the sacrificial bolt into the captive nut.
Thread the sacrificial nut against the outer plate to apply the leverage.

Should I be concerned about galling the captive nut threads?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Just Installed NAPA rear shocks Reply with quote

I have done it that way a few times.
Threaded rod with 2 nuts and a washer.
Slip a putty knife or similar metal up in between your device and the threaded hole so nothing else contacts the hole threads while you expand.

Mark

brickster wrote:
I thought about creating a leverage device with a bolt and some nuts and plates where I could turn the nuts to force the plates outward. I'm not sure exactly how to implement that and I'm open to any other ideas.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Installed NAPA rear shocks Reply with quote

The crescent wrench did the trick.

I’m having a difficult time getting the shock sleeve aligned to the upper body bolt holes on the last shock. Going to step away and come back to it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: