Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

Non of you guys talking about high compression are including what octane gas you need to run to support those CR. If you want to run 10 or 11 CR that fine. You must run the octane to support it.

If your gonna run more than 9.5 CR you need more than 91 octane pump gas.

ACN's CR suggestions DO NOT mention anything about what octane you need to run.

My drag race engine with a FK-10 and 10.5 CR I mix 1 gallon of 110 race gas with 4 gallons of 91 pump gas.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

10.3:1 with a tiny cam on 91 octane in So-Cal. 🙋🏽‍♂️ Stop already. You're embarrassing yourself.

Building two more engines - a 100x71 at ~11.5:1 and a 105x66 at ~12.0:1. Both will run 91. The 105 might be flex fuel compatible just to have some versatility.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
10.3:1 with a tiny cam on 91 octane in So-Cal. 🙋🏽‍♂️ Stop already. You're embarrassing yourself.

Building two more engines - a 100x71 at ~11.5:1 and a 105x66 at ~12.0:1. Both will run 91. The 105 might be flex fuel compatible just to have some versatility.

Why don’t you post the specs of the engines/cams so we can all learn something then? Jpaull’s Wallace link has showed me a few things from known good running engines. The 10.5:1 that Dave’s running would put me around 183psi cranking pressure with the FK-10 I have. Not something I’d consider 91 octane friendly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

Over 190 psi can still use 91 octane. A lot of Raby's higher end builds hover around 190 psi.

I have an Engle V26 cam with 1.4 rockers on a 2374cc. 44 IDFs and a 1 5/8" exhaust. I'm somewhere around 170 psi.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:

Why don’t you post the specs of the engines/cams so we can all learn something then? Jpaull’s Wallace link has showed me a few things from known good running engines. The 10.5:1 that Dave’s running would put me around 183psi cranking pressure with the FK-10 I have. Not something I’d consider 91 octane friendly.

One thing about the whole "big picture" is ring seating. The calculator is assuming you have a perfect seal. Many out there "should" have the cranking pressure the calculator states, but they didnt do good cylinder prep, they babied then engine, and that never let the rings fully seat resulting in lost pressure meant they only have say 165 psi instead of the 180 psi that the calculator stated. I got 180psi and been running on 91 calif pump crap even in the hottest weather sitting in traffic and drag racing.

In previous engine, i should have had 180psi but only had 165psi cause i used the stock AA rings and just did the average clean and install. I think there are many that fit in the category.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Non of you guys talking about high compression are including what octane gas you need to run to support those CR. If you want to run 10 or 11 CR that fine. You must run the octane to support it.

If your gonna run more than 9.5 CR you need more than 91 octane pump gas.

ACN's CR suggestions DO NOT mention anything about what octane you need to run.

My drag race engine with a FK-10 and 10.5 CR I mix 1 gallon of 110 race gas with 4 gallons of 91 pump gas.

No, you cant say that. You cant say everyone that runs more then 9.5 to 1 needs more then 91 pump gas. It depends on elevation and cam. You dont understand this do you?

For example, Martys engine if 10:1 with his cam and elevation would only produce 150psi if he gets a perfect ring seal, he can run 87 octane on that all day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

While the Wallace calculator can give you a good (conservative) estimate it is not really a good guideline if you wanna build an engine on the edge (or just under) The reason is, that the most crittical point in the rpm range is actually just below to just over peak torque. The DCR @ cranking can vary too much IMHO.
Next, ignition timing plays a role. The more efficient the burn is (good chambers, good deck height and good mix) the less timing is needed. Less timing have a great impact on power. Luckily most of the ACVW cylinderheads of today have fair to good combution chambers, so for the most part is is up to the builder to get the rest right. A good chamber along with a tight deck and a good fuel mix/distribution versus a sloppy deckheight and a less than desireable chamber shaps with a lesser quality fuel distribution can soon be the difference of 3- up to 4 degrees of timing. That´s equal to more power and less heat soak into the rest of the engine.

Naturally octane has an impact on how high static CR you can run with a given set up, along with ambient temps and humity to an extent. But the quality and attention to the build matters maybe 30% or so. A slap together engine in a given combo may have trouble living on 87 octane and 9-1 static while the next detailed build with the same parts will live well, make 10% better power and run cooler at 9,3 static.
vwracerdave wrote:

Soo, that means that you are very close to 95 Octane (US) With an indicated mean pressure of around 230 psi @ peak torque it could live on 93 pump gas. Go down to 5 gallons pump gas and 1 gallon race gas and retrim your igintion timing and you will most likely pick up a tenth.
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

Question for discussion to help explain this for those who have spent lots of time and research with this, not trying to be a wise guy. If Compression is calculated dynamically.......does it vary at different rpm? At what rpm does it reach 10:5:1?
Popcorn
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

jeff68 wrote:
Question for discussion to help explain this for those who have spent lots of time and research with this, not trying to be a wise guy. If Compression is calculated dynamically.......does it vary at different rpm? At what rpm does it reach 10:5:1?
Popcorn

Yes, it does. I think you mean, "When does it reach peak psi?". That 10.5 is a static number that never changes. Engines reach peak psi somewhere around peak torque. After peak, the engine begins running out of time to effectively fill the chambers during each cycle, so torque and psi taper-off.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

accurate dynamic compression calculations are extremely complicated. The calculators do not factor in how "good" your heads and intake system are, or what kind of exhaust you have and how "good" it is, or the cams actual lift characteristics, among many other things.. They can be used to input different things like cam numbers, rod lengths, etc for COMPARISON, but they are not super accurate for a running engine. You could have two identical engines aside from exhaust, one with an off the shelf header, and one with a custom tuned header, and the tuned engine will have a higher VE. Same goes for heads, two engines, one with out of the box heads, and one with really nice hand worked heads. The custom engine will have a higher VE regardless of the inputs into the DCR calculator. Then theres the whole aspect of cam lobe design...which is another rabbit hole.

the engines ability to fill the cylinder (or overfill in the case of VE above 100%) dictates how much DCR it will have at any given rpm.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

Correct
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
While the Wallace calculator can give you a good (conservative) estimate it is not really a good guideline if you wanna build an engine on the edge (or just under) The reason is, that the most crittical point in the rpm range is actually just below to just over peak torque. The DCR @ cranking can vary too much IMHO.
Next, ignition timing plays a role. The more efficient the burn is (good chambers, good deck height and good mix) the less timing is needed. Less timing have a great impact on power. Luckily most of the ACVW cylinderheads of today have fair to good combution chambers, so for the most part is is up to the builder to get the rest right. A good chamber along with a tight deck and a good fuel mix/distribution versus a sloppy deckheight and a less than desireable chamber shaps with a lesser quality fuel distribution can soon be the difference of 3- up to 4 degrees of timing. That´s equal to more power and less heat soak into the rest of the engine.

Naturally octane has an impact on how high static CR you can run with a given set up, along with ambient temps and humity to an extent. But the quality and attention to the build matters maybe 30% or so. A slap together engine in a given combo may have trouble living on 87 octane and 9-1 static while the next detailed build with the same parts will live well, make 10% better power and run cooler at 9,3 static.

Would you be able to expand on this?

I’m very familiar with the deck height variations. It was very common locally for someone to have a nice 1641 with a static 9:1, and have an .040 deck. Then they would want to increase their displacement to 1915, and end up with an .085 deck to get their 9:1 using the same small chambered heads. .035 is the smallest deck I’ve seen built, and .045 the smallest I’ve used in a personal engine. It seems to be a consensus that squish benefits significantly drop off past .060. So what effect would a variation of .040 to .060, everything else equal, have on attempting to push the limit of compression?

How about combustion chambers? Not everyone is using a head that has had the combustion chamber modified by hand, or CNC. I’m not trying to negativity portray anyones product, but I found one of Jpaull’s as cast chamber pics of one of his Mofoco heads, and compared it to a CB Super Pro CNC chamber ad pic. Again, all other things equal, what would an as cast chamber support compression wise compared to a heavily modified chamber such as the Super Pro?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

I'm not sure were likely to see a decent back to back between two heads like that. Unless I buy some Super pros and head back to VW speedshop Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
I am running the 'less optimal' as cast Mofo head. Softened the edges and ceramic coated and it's survived a good few road miles and some heavy dyno sessions at 11:1 on UK 98 ~ US 91 at sea level.
0.040" deck, 50cc chambers.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
I'm not sure were likely to see a decent back to back between two heads like that. Unless I buy some Super pros and head back to VW speedshop Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
I am running the 'less optimal' as cast Mofo head. Softened the edges and ceramic coated and it's survived a good few road miles and some heavy dyno sessions at 11:1 on UK 98 ~ US 91 at sea level.

Sure, I don’t think you will ever have an exact comparison by changing a single element such as a chamber shape. With as much data that Alstrup has gathered, there has to be an example of someone wanting him to build a duplicate of a previous customers engine, “but my heads don’t have the chambers ported like theirs were”. Then as the builder, he can then recommend what compression could be supported by their heads.

Like Sled mentioned about cam lobe shape, ceramic coatings can significantly reduce combustion chamber temps, and create a more detonation resistant combo. Let’s see if we can focus on the chamber shape, and deck, so we don’t go down the rabbit hole of coatings quite yet.
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

On the two side by side pictures above the combustion chamber on the right I believe is what is referred to a quick burn chamber. This design of chamber from what I know was designed in NASCAR racing back in the eighties. It produces a quicker burn which require less ignition timing advance and reduces detonation and allows for higher compression compared to the chamber on the left. I know there is a lot more to it than that like turbulence/and air flow. People a lot smarter than me can explain it better. Much more efficient than the "bath tub" style chamber.

Marty
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
UK Luke 72 wrote:

Sure, I don’t think you will ever have an exact comparison by changing a single element such as a chamber shape. With as much data that Alstrup has gathered, there has to be an example of someone wanting him to build a duplicate of a previous customers engine, “but my heads don’t have the chambers ported like theirs were”. Then as the builder, he can then recommend what compression could be supported by their heads.

Like Sled mentioned about cam lobe shape, ceramic coatings can significantly reduce combustion chamber temps, and create a more detonation resistant combo. Let’s see if we can focus on the chamber shape, and deck, so we don’t go down the rabbit hole of coatings quite yet.

Same engine combo ran just fine before the coating too. Only stripped it to sort a ring seal issue.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

motomwo wrote:
On the two side by side pictures above the combustion chamber on the right I believe is what is referred to a quick burn chamber. This design of chamber from what I know was designed in NASCAR racing back in the eighties. It produces a quicker burn which require less ignition timing advance and reduces detonation and allows for higher compression compared to the chamber on the left. I know there is a lot more to it than that like turbulence/and air flow. People a lot smarter than me can explain it better. Much more efficient than the "bath tub" style chamber.

Marty

A little side track from the topic, but a lot of it ties in.

The chamber design isn't only about burn characteristics. The chamber walls need to be an extension of the port. They help the air get past the valve as easily as possible without loosing velocity. The non-plug side of the chamber on a regular VW style chamber has very little velocity around that side of the valve. The blown out chamber wall makes it worse. When you add in the extra material for the "heart shape" it helps keep the velocity up past the valve head. This makes the flow in the port more uniform, and it also helps utilize more of the whole circumference of the valve. A stock VW chamber doesn't use much more than 3/4 of the valve circumference. I have messed around with this quite a bit testing chambers with a pitot tube on the flow bench.

This is also how a lot of guy can kill a head thinking they are doing a bunch of nice "un-shrouding", when really what they are doing is killing the pressure recovery past the valve. Blowing the walls out around the valve is not a good idea. It will show an increase in CFM on the flow bench, but the velocity and pressure recovery is down the shitter.

Brian
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

Yeah.
If we look at the two chambers above and look at ONLY the burn quality and flame propagandation, there is actually not that much difference between the two. The CNC chamber has a small advantage due to the relocated spark plug.

If you look at a given (street or super street N/A engine with 0,060" deck height versus the same engine with 0,040 - 0,045" DH, and we look at the ignition and burn aloine, it is normal to experience that the timing can be reduced by 1 to 1,5 degree and at the same time get a more complete burn. All things equal, performance wise, you will typically see a 2 hp gain per 1000cc. Sometimes more.

The closest thing I have done in recent times was a 1776 bus engine which I did the heads for and the customer and his mechanic friend assembelled themselves. (W100 cam, Kadrons and a VS bus muffler.) I recommended 8,8 static with his vehicle and set up, with a 1,1 m,m deck height. His mechanic friend claimed that it would run hot and ping, and that there was no to very little difference in engine behaviure by just assembling it with whatever deck it had. - Which I later found out was 1,6 mm (0,063" and 8,3 CR) Anyway, tyhe engine was dynoed somewhere else to 90 hp and 135 Nm torque. But once on the streets it was not very fuel efficient, had a tendency to run hot and unfortunately it developed an oil leak 5 months in. The oil leak was a "shit happens" thing. I got the job of fixing this. It was here I discovered the deck height issue. I agreed with the customer to fix it and get it dialed in properly again. Once back on the road it now had 8,8 CR and once back on the chassis dyno it now wanted less fuel and less timing, and now pulls 98 hp and 152 Nm torque, it also runs 15 degrees cooler, but thats partly because I replaced the 009 with an SVDA. Also, the fuel consumption went from 20 mpg to 24,5 mpg on cruise.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:

No need to dyno it again if you fit Super Pros . It'll just make an extra 30 ish hp mostly at the top end. Save your money and buy a bigger pram and some extra nappies
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2276 with fk10 cam compression ratio recommendation. Reply with quote

Wedgies about 20 then do you reckon?

You're probably right. (as usual :p)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: