Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who’s Descending this Year?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

On Bend that is. But actually you have to keep descending to La Pine, and you’re still not there. In any case I’m off next week so I start Descending on Saturday after work and a stop in Corvallis to see my niece.

I’m going to Oakridge then backroads to the Mackenzie River Trail, then over the pass to Sisters then Bend, stopping at each spot to ride a good trail.

Any suggestions on good dispersed camping, or other local knowledge, or to tag along welcome.

Let’s keep the Vanagon spirit strong at Descend.

Volkswagen: #vanlife since 1951
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

You know the Baldwins are!!!! We are camping near the hole Wednesday night then in at opening Thursday morning until we leave Monday morning. Look for us volunteering a lot of the time and say hi!
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

https://www.descendon.com
AUGUST 26 - AUGUST 29, 2022

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

I'm still not very confident my van will make it. Plus I have the glass out and sway bar off (waiting for T3). Hopefully next year.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
https://www.descendon.com
AUGUST 26 - AUGUST 29, 2022

whew. I thought for a moment I'd joined a cult of satanists.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

Never really understood this event. Camping in a dust bowl, in hot weather with no bodies of water in sight. No disrespect to the promoters, gatherings like this can be fun to hangout with other enthusiasts, but with so many other options close by here in Bend, I'd rather head for the hills.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Never really understood this event. Camping in a dust bowl, in hot weather with no bodies of water in sight. No disrespect to the promoters, gatherings like this can be fun to hangout with other enthusiasts, but with so many other options close by here in Bend, I'd rather head for the hills.

Have you been to one of the Descends? You described it accurately but left out the atmosphere and lifelong friendships formed. We have more friends from Descends then we do in our normal life! Very Happy

It's a dirt bag filled great time!
nate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

Big festival type events aren’t for everyone, or ideal all the time. I was camping near Bend a while ago with other vanlifers one of whom said something similar. Why pay money to hang out with a bunch of dirtbags when I’m doing that right now?

Because it’s a festival and its size is part of the fun. I like them some of the time, not always, that’s why I’m taking my meandering Cascade run on the way in.

Plus I’ve got to sharpen up my dirtbag skills.

I love sirtbags. I really do.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

Bend is already overrun with dirt bags this time of year. This is just another event that will no doubt leave more garbage blowing across the desert, trails and roads despite everybody's best effort.

thatbaldwinlife wrote:
Syncronoid wrote:

Have you been to one of the Descends? You described it accurately but left out the atmosphere and lifelong friendships formed. We have more friends from Descends then we do in our normal life! Very Happy

It's a dirt bag filled great time!
nate

thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

Looking like its gonna be hot, so bring plenty of water and your solar shower!
See you guys there
nate
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

Smoke just moved in as well.

thatbaldwinlife wrote:
See you guys there
nate

thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Smoke just moved in as well.

thatbaldwinlife wrote:
See you guys there
nate

Hope it is not as bad as last year's smoke, that was brutal.
Maybe the winds will change and clear up a bit.
Thanks for the heads up!
nate
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

thatbaldwinlife wrote:
You know the Baldwins are!!!! We are camping near the hole Wednesday night then in at opening Thursday morning until we leave Monday morning. Look for us volunteering a lot of the time and say hi!
nate

Having watched and enjoyed all of your videos, I am a bit surprised that you and Nancy also favor this hot, dusty (sometimes smoky), and crowded venue… Laughing

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
thatbaldwinlife wrote:
nate

Having watched and enjoyed all of your videos, I am a bit surprised that you and Nancy also favor this hot, dusty (sometimes smoky), and crowded venue… Laughing

Haha you know us pretty well! The Descend events are the only crowded events we go to as we have so many friends that come in from across the US to be there. It is like a family reunion twice a year!

Then we go back into hiding in the woods by ourselves Very Happy
nate
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

thatbaldwinlife wrote:
The Descend events are the only crowded events we go to as we have so many friends that come in from across the US to be there.

Do you know when the spring 2023 Descend event will be held?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

I like this event. I also like the road trip with the buddy’s getting out there. I’ve only been out there in the 72 bus. I was hoping to take the 85 Van this year but they changed the dates. So no Descend on Bend for us this year. I look forward to the pictures. Enjoy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
thatbaldwinlife wrote:
The Descend events are the only crowded events we go to as we have so many friends that come in from across the US to be there.

Not officially as the venues they are held at do fill up and that is why they are not on Memorial/Labor Day weekends this year. Places booked.
If it holds true next year, Descend on Lost Sierra will be the weekend before Memorial Day

You coming in for it?
nate
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

thatbaldwinlife wrote:
dobryan wrote:
thatbaldwinlife wrote:

Not officially as the venues they are held at do fill up and that is why they are not on Memorial/Labor Day weekends this year. Places booked.
If it holds true next year, Descend on Lost Sierra will be the weekend before Memorial Day

You coming in for it?
nate

I’d love to. I need to get my syncro built out by then. I’ve likely got a complete tear of my right rotator cuff so my wrenching has been on hold for a while.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

I'll be in my Dodge 2500 4x4, as all my VWs and HiAce are down.
Look for two bulldogs walking their human.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Who’s Descending this Year? Reply with quote

The smoke did help my buddy Rob’s lasers look great, but I could do without. There’s enough dust I think.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: