Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Got myself an engine, now what...
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
minirailz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject: Got myself an engine, now what... Reply with quote

Hi,

Small introduction:
I bought myself a '68 bug about 18 months ago.
Learned a lot automotive stuff in no time and now very happy with this vehicle.

However, there is/was one point I never checked or worked on intensively: the engine. (just small stuff like timing, mixture, etc...)

Instead of tearing apart my (now daily driven) bug, I decided to buy a spare one and get that one all sorted.

So I recently bought a decent F-block, at least that's what the seller convinced me.
It had lots of surface rust, but all the original Bosch/VW components were there, so I took the risk.

Now, a few weeks later, I (re-)checked the end play and it surprised me how big it was. When meeting the seller I felt barely any end play, probably due to the very tight generator-belt.
I tried measuring it yesterday and ended up around 0.9mm (0,035) or 3 times the allowed wear limit.

It didn't ran for quite some time, adding some shims to fix this sounds like a bad idea.

So long story short:
Does it need a rebuild straightaway?
Or can I still get a few thousand miles/km's out of it without causing damage?

Dennis Smile
ps: either this engine, or the one currently in the car will probably get a complete rebuild someday, the other engine could then just keep me going until the rebuild one is done...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Got myself an engine, now what... Reply with quote

Lots of endplay does mean it is machine work and rebuild time.
However, I drove an old leaky engine with what looked to be a fat 1/8” of play for about 3 years until I could I afford to build a new one.
Your mileage may vary.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Got myself an engine, now what... Reply with quote

Find out if the excess endplay is curable with shims, or if the case/saddle is worn and you will ruin the case running it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=648040
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6561194
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Got myself an engine, now what... Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Find out if the excess endplay is curable with shims ...

Exactly! Use your thumbs:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Above pic comes from this article:
https://wolfgangint.com/blog/setting-the-end-play-air-tech-n99

Scroll about halfway down that page to read the instructions.

That Wolfgang writer has front and rear confused. The propper "front" is front of car, which is the flywheel end of the crankshaft. So it's the front bearing you need to check on. None the less, this author has pinpointed the very important check procedure you need to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Got myself an engine, now what... Reply with quote

When you have a few days you don't have to drive the car, pull the motor and put the spare motor in (don't worry about a clutch or hooking everything up) and just connect what it takes to start the motor using the car as a test stand to start the motor and find out it's condition.
minirailz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Got myself an engine, now what... Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated Very Happy

I will take a look at that procedure.
Currently the clutch and flywheel are still installed, so will have to get those removed first.

I'll update here again afterwards!

@starbucket: I wonder if it could be 'pull-started' when out of the car, with a strap around the alternator Wink

Dennis
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Got myself an engine, now what... Reply with quote

minirailz wrote:
Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated Very Happy

I will take a look at that procedure.
Currently the clutch and flywheel are still installed, so will have to get those removed first.

I'll update here again afterwards!

@starbucket: I wonder if it could be 'pull-started' when out of the car, with a strap around the alternator Wink

Dennis

It would be easier to just swap the motors because you would have all the connections, gas, power, starter, and something to hold the motor.
minirailz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Got myself an engine, now what... Reply with quote

Just an update:
We're now 6 weeks later. Surprised

The case is split and getting ready to be align-bored. Very Happy

I measured around 21.4mm on the main bearing seating, that is 0,6mm of play.
Together with the 'allowed' wear limit of 0,3mm it makes 0,9mm which I measured in the first place.
(all estimates though)

The case seems to be original, so it will be it's first revision.
Looking forward in putting it back together Cool

Thank you all for replying!

Dennis
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: