Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

so you are having OTA issues?

i suppose if the mfgr has a deal with ins, co's to report driving habits that could be an issue.

at any rate i won't own a car with that garbage. thankfully i know people who know people and can program that stuff right out of the system

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
i'm with skills and others who say, there's not enough information. being a driveway mechanic and not a pro like a lot of the posters, my response is we don't know enough about your communication with the mechanic and vice versa.

that being said, three months later!!! is this something you expected? if so, okay, if not, RED FLAG.

and the 10 more hours. any reasons/explanations as to why that's so?

my experience with professionals is that rusted bolts and broken studs are built into the book they reference for estimates. they make out on some jobs (no broken bolts) and get squeezed on others (more than one broken bolt).

in california, going over the estimate takes consultation with, explanations to, and the agreement of the consumer.

you probably signed a contract with a lien agreement, so tread lightly, but i think, absent clear communication from the pro with an apology for the too-low-initial estimate, that i wouldn't go back there.

I pretty much follow this model. I give a text when I start amd a text when I finish , in four hour intervals. I usually don’t work for longer than 4 at a time due to age. My last clutch I told them I would need two weekends and did four hours each Saturday and Sunday. And finished on schedule.

My book rates don’t include time for broken stuff. When that stuff happens I offer new part with a delay, or a used part for less money and no delay. Customers break about 50-50 on that choice. I usually know which way they will go based on personality. Sometimes I’ve already made the decision. 😀

On topic…you haven’t been ripped off foranything, you have an estimate. Once the job is done, only the mechanic knows if the hours are honestly billed.

I just did an XC fuel pump with a 2 hour tank drop, book is 10 hours. Do I get to charge the estimate or just the time? Only you and the Creator know.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
People ask me how much?

People ask me: “What's wrong with my Bus?”

I answer: “It's old”
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

If I have done it recently with a fresh memory I can pull my engine in about 45 minutes.

Install it in about 1 hour.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
so you are having OTA issues?
Yes.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I just did an XC fuel pump with a 2 hour tank drop, book is 10 hours. Do I get to charge the estimate or just the time? Only you and the Creator know.

Rolling Eyes

i tell people they are paying for the years of experience to do it right the first time, not the hours.

classic example is i start at 2.5 hours per axle for brakes. why? because this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

then i get hit with "the shop down the street can do it for less"

the look on peoples faces when i say "ok, bring it" is priceless. i don't run a fucking flea market.

i have finally gotten to the point where I have chased out all of the youtubers and bottom feeders.

just remember:

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I pretty much follow this model. I give a text when I start amd a text when I finish , in four hour intervals. I usually don’t work for longer than 4 at a time due to age. My last clutch I told them I would need two weekends and did four hours each Saturday and Sunday. And finished on schedule.

My book rates don’t include time for broken stuff. When that stuff happens I offer new part with a delay, or a used part for less money and no delay. Customers break about 50-50 on that choice. I usually know which way they will go based on personality. Sometimes I’ve already made the decision. 😀

On topic…you haven’t been ripped off foranything, you have an estimate. Once the job is done, only the mechanic knows if the hours are honestly billed.

i wish you were closer, steve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
aeromech wrote:
People ask me how much?

Laughing Laughing
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

Damn.... was it sitting in salt water for years?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
aeromech wrote:
People ask me how much?

That's a start; but truthfully VW just marketed some things that were very poorly tested/ not up to the task.
Like:
Every 1972-73 type 4 engined bus broke the exhaust valves. With ensuing severe mechanical trauma. ATE's lasted longer than Eatons.
Carbs on those cars worked well, but not long.
After a few years, nearly all FI cars had leaking fuel hoses and MANY burned.
These may have been one of the BEST narrow road vehicles ever built. (Well, number 2.) but they have MAJOR shortcomings.
Repowering has been a major subject since Hobert Kennedy first built an adapter. Was it the 1970's. I talked to him a few times in the 1980's.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:

my experience with professionals is that rusted bolts and broken studs are built into the book they reference for estimates.

Book time is the time it takes to replace the part on a new vehicle. Nothing is factored in to the time for issues that may come up during the repair.

Thats where you get fucked on book time is the issues you encounter along the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sash_Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

It is what it is. You pay to play, or you don't play. OR....you learn to do it yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Damn.... was it sitting in salt water for years?

2017 sooobaroooh daily driver. evidently, never washed

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
Abscate wrote:

i wish you were closer, steve.
Thanks Tom. Colin offered but the cost of gasoline to get here and go home left nothing for him. This inflation is changing the world.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:

Book time is the time it takes to replace the part on a new vehicle. Nothing is factored in to the time for issues that may come up during the repair.

Thats where you get fucked on book time is the issues you encounter along the way.

Book times on new cars varied quite a bit from reality.
My brother was a Porsche-Audi tech at a dealer in Omaha that also had Renault. He LOVED working on Renaults because he could beat book time the very first time he did a job. Kinda low quality cars but way easier to work on than your average 928 Porsche.
Vanagons:
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
ToolBox wrote:

Book times on new cars varied quite a bit from reality.
My brother was a Porsche-Audi tech at a dealer in Omaha that also had Renault. He LOVED working on Renaults because he could beat book time the very first time he did a job. Kinda low quality cars but way easier to work on than your average 928 Porsche.
Yes, so many things 'tucked' away in the lovely curves of the front fenders, you didn't realize it until you opened the hood on a 928 and looked down the sides of the Engine Compartment- all the things Porsche could create 'custom' to match the body curves, but made it much harder to remove or install. Razz
Still, you forgave it to a certain extent when you fired up that V-8 after getting all done with the work.... Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:

Thats where you get fucked on book time is the issues you encounter along the way. Yes, so many things 'tucked' away in the lovely curves of the front fenders, you didn't realize it until you opened the hood on a 928 and looked down the sides of the Engine Compartment- all the things Porsche could create 'custom' to match the body curves, but made it much harder to remove or install. Razz
Still, you forgave it to a certain extent when you fired up that V-8 after getting all done with the work.... Cool

Quite possibly true. I know I have that feeling from my puny 3.0 911SC after not driving it for a while. "yeah, baby"!
Vanagons:
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

The devil is in the details, a blind estimate at 20 hrs and a 50% adjustment later..could very well be a fair bill. A month is a bit long but who knows what they are up against trying to get other cars out of the shop. the parts situation is dire in all directions
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

Thats where you get fucked on book time is the issues you encounter along the way. Yes, so many things 'tucked' away in the lovely curves of the front fenders, you didn't realize it until you opened the hood on a 928 and looked down the sides of the Engine Compartment- all the things Porsche could create 'custom' to match the body curves, but made it much harder to remove or install. Razz

Quite possibly true. I know I have that feeling from my puny 3.0 911SC after not driving it for a while. "yeah, baby"!

Something like this?

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I getting ripped off by the mechanics? Reply with quote

Stop stop, I'm going to start having flashbacks to the hundreds of hours I've spent bludgeoning rusted Subarus apart. Evil or Very Mad

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: