Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Karmann-Ghia Gets Stuck in 4th Gear. Why?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJC1967Boone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: 1969 Karmann-Ghia Gets Stuck in 4th Gear. Why? Reply with quote

1969 Karmann-Ghia gets Stuck in 4th Gear. Why?

I cannot disengage out of 4th gear, I double clutch and triple clutch with no luck. I then have to pull over on the side of the road and turn off the motor and after 10 minutes, the engine and gear box cools down and then miraculously, it will disengage out of 4th gear. All other gears work fine and it is drivable, as long as I dont shift into 4th gear. Why?
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann-Ghia Gets Stuck in 4th Gear. Why? Reply with quote

I would start with checking the transmission mounts fluid level.
AJC1967Boone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann-Ghia Gets Stuck in 4th Gear. Why? Reply with quote

yes, I checked and replace the transmission/gearbox oil and it still gets stuck in 4th gear.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann-Ghia Gets Stuck in 4th Gear. Why? Reply with quote

AJC1967Boone wrote:
yes, I checked and replace the transmission/gearbox oil and it still gets stuck in 4th gear.

Sounds like something internal. Probably rebuild time.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann-Ghia Gets Stuck in 4th Gear. Why? Reply with quote

I don’t have any magic answers for you either.
Being that it only happens while it’s warmed up it might be a simple adjustment.
But I really don’t know what I’m talking about.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AJC1967Boone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann-Ghia Gets Stuck in 4th Gear. Why? Reply with quote

OK, I am going to do some more detective work on this....
Worst case scenario, I will rebuild or replace the transmission.
I will post all updates from my findings.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann-Ghia Gets Stuck in 4th Gear. Why? Reply with quote

Check the shift couplers for slop and is your clutch pedal adjusted with 1" of Freeplay before you feel the throw-out bearing start to move?
AJC1967Boone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann-Ghia Gets Stuck in 4th Gear. Why? Reply with quote

Is the shift coupler the u shaped connector underneath the rear seat?

I can press down on the clutch about 1" and it disengages

also, I took images of the clutch pedal, this is how it was set up when I got the car.... not sure why this is set up this way...........

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann-Ghia Gets Stuck in 4th Gear. Why? Reply with quote

Your brake pedal is way too far from the firewall, and your clutch pedal shouldn't need assistance to stay in place. It looks like you're probably missing the pedal stop that bolts to the floor behind the pedal cluster to limit how far both pedals can be from the firewall.

When you press the clutch pedal in, do you hear any scraping or movement noises coming from inside the tunnel? I'm wondering if any of the clutch cable tube welds have broken, allowing the tube to move which would create difficulty changing gears.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AJC1967Boone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann-Ghia Gets Stuck in 4th Gear. Why? Reply with quote

I took it out for a drive today and all the gears shift smoothly into all the gears, but again, the 4th gear gets locked in until I pull over and let the engine cool down. As long as I avoid the 4th gear, the car is operable and drives ok.

When depressing the clutch pedal, there was no scraping or movement noises coming from inside the tunnel
Marfa61KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann-Ghia Gets Stuck in 4th Gear. Why? Reply with quote

AJC1967Boone wrote:

also, I took images of the clutch pedal, this is how it was set up when I got the car.... not sure why this is set up this way...........

It's set up that way because Bubba likes it this way. Fix that pedal cluster or stay off the road. That's beyond janky my friend!
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann-Ghia Gets Stuck in 4th Gear. Why? Reply with quote

Marfa61KG wrote:
AJC1967Boone wrote:

It's set up that way because Bubba likes it this way. Fix that pedal cluster or stay off the road. That's beyond janky my friend!

Excellent advice.

If you were to get into a collision, your insurance company would laugh at you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: