Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A/C Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: A/C Question Reply with quote

Okay folks, I finally did it, I got my A/C recharged, and it's blowing COLD. That's the good news, but the "bad" news is that when it's turned on the idle slows down to a crawl, so slow that at one point it stalled. Due to this, I increased the idle speed on the carb to a point where it keeps a marginally comfortable idle when the A/C is on full blast. This of course led the car to have a high idle when A/C is not going, which is fine because it'll be a phoenix car, soon.

My question is, is that okay and the proper way to do it? I'm relatively new to the cars in general, but is just increasing the idle to that point a good idea? I have basically understood it as "old cars don't have computers to compensate for using A/C, your screw driver on the carb was the 'chip'." No chip shortage here, eh?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Question Reply with quote

Some older systems used a dashpot to kick up the idle when the AC was turned on. I don't know much about how they worked, but I do know they exist.

Any AC car made from the 60's until the invent of computer controlled ignition and fuel injection used them.

Someone has to know of something that will work with your VW.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Question Reply with quote

hobthebob wrote:
I increased the idle speed on the carb to a point where it keeps a marginally comfortable idle when the A/C is on full blast. This of course led the car to have a high idle when A/C is not going, which is fine because it'll be a phoenix car, soon.

My question is, is that okay and the proper way to do it? I'm relatively new to the cars in general, but is just increasing the idle to that point a good idea?

I'm also in Phoenix where AC is used 90% of the time.

1. I increased the idle to compensate for the dealer-added AC on my 1970 VW.

2. I increased the idle to compensate for the AC on my 1988 Mazda truck once I switched the bad factory carburetor to aftermarket Weber.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Question Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful info! That puts my mind at ease a lot.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Question Reply with quote

Actually I went into a little bit of a rabbit hole looking at solutions for you.

First, I want to correct my first post. A dashpot slows the rate in which the throttle closes when you let up on the gas. So I used the wrong terminology.

What you want is a carburetor throttle solenoid. I looked up throttle solenoids for A/C and got a bunch of hits, including YouTube videos where people have mounted them on aftermarket carbs for V8's with A/C.

Prices are all over the place. And Actually I was thinking you could possibly use a standard idle cutoff solenoid found on a lot of the PICT carbs. Really, all you need is for something to contact the throttle arm on the carb to hold it ever so slightly open.

You would just need to fab up an adjustable bracket, and run a jumper off the compressor.

Could be a fun little project.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Question Reply with quote

Hold the phone Bob!
What do you mean FLA soon AZ? Are you selling your car?
Or moving to hot dry AZ?

When I lived in Chandler way back in 1991. I daily drove my 69 Baja.
Yes in the summer. It was hot for sure, but bearable. Just had to roll down the windows and open the rear quarter windows for some air flow.

I like Pruneman's idea of a solenoid actuating the throttle arm open a little when the AC compressor clutch kicks on.
But I'm kinda lazy these days. So turning up the idle wouldn't bother me in the least.
The upside is you get a little more air flow over the cooling system at a higher idle speed.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Question Reply with quote

I still drive that 1988 Mazda truck with aftermarket carb and AC daily; running the idle a little high doesn't bother me.

I moved that 1970 VW sedan to an 1835cc DP engine which did run the AC better, and the modern AC kits should do even better.

What I'm saying is that I never had real need to try to rig an aftermarket idle-up solenoid, likely over my pay grade !!!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: A/C Question Reply with quote

Haha yeah, I'm driving the Beetle all the way to Phoenix in a few days/a week. Hot, dry Phoenix, from Hot, muggy south FL, lol. And I moved a year ago from, you guessed it, cold, snowy Buffalo! Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Rustavenger, that's a good thing to know that you could do the Baja in the summer with the windows open. That's my first inclination, for a lot of reasons, but I have a 2-year old and I'm not sure how he'll do at first. He does pretty fine with 95 degree muggy FL heat, but I don't know about 100 degree dry phoenix heat.

I may work on some throttle positioning thing at some point, because it sounds pretty cool actually, but that's gunna have to be once I get there!

Anyone know any good mechanics in the Phoenix area just in case? I try to do most of my own work, but it's good to have a relationship with a local shop just in case.
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Question Reply with quote

I am in AZ looking for my first Beetle. Does the aftermarket make an AC system for these cars.
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C Question Reply with quote

DesertG wrote:
I am in AZ looking for my first Beetle. Does the aftermarket make an AC system for these cars.

First result in google for vw aircooled ac. Rolling Eyes

https://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: A/C Question Reply with quote

DesertG wrote:

Gilmore, ICE AC in San Diego, VW of Mexico

hobthebob wrote:
Anyone know any good mechanics in the Phoenix area just in case? I try to do most of my own work, but it's good to have a relationship with a local shop just in case.

Well, my two VWs haven't been to a shop in decades, but in 2016 I used European Auto Machine http://europeanautomachine.com and my first choice if I needed service work would be Wedge VW on 24th Street.

There are also a few shops in far NW Phoenix area.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: A/C Question Reply with quote

How about a swamp cooler?
Ojai63dbl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: A/C Question Reply with quote

FWIW

I had same problem when I put AC in my ghia,

Choices: over rev at lights, switch on-off AC or solve it mechanically or electrically.

I ended up going electrical - installed an RPM switch (Summit or Jeggs has them) with a relay to switch off compressor when RPM drops below 1000 RPM and if I rev over 5000 RPM. Compresor is on from 1000 to 5000 RPM

it sits in engine bay which makes it easier when adjusting carb and timing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: