Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle Frame head
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
68 Berry mini T4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Beetle Frame head Reply with quote

Hello,
Can I put a 66 ball joint frame head on a 65 platform? I have to replace the original 65 due to rot.
Thanks
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Frame head Reply with quote

something changed between '65 and '66, so I'd say no. You would have to do some mods to get a link-pin frame to use a ball joint front end
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68 Berry mini T4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Frame head Reply with quote

Thank you
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Frame head Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
something changed between '65 and '66, so I'd say no. You would have to do some mods to get a link-pin frame to use a ball joint front end

Can you elaborate on this? I know the spread between the upper and lower tubes got wider in '66 to accommodate the ball-joint front suspension style, but what changed at the interface to the tunnel?

If the OP is changing out the whole framehead, which attaches to the tunnel just ahead of the Napolean's hat, I would've thought that he could switch over to the later piece without complication....unless the body changed in front of the gas tank to accommodate the "taller" front suspension beam, thereby restricting him to use the 65-earlier framehead/beam combo.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Frame head Reply with quote

most VW owners want to get a LP front end instead of a BJ front end. A how to for replacing the BJ for a LP front end. I guess you could do the reverse to get a BJ front end on a LP frame.

http://vw.zenseeker.net/FrontSuspension.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Frame head Reply with quote

Cool. So 68 Berry can probably do it if he has access to a BJ framehead, makes sense.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Frame head Reply with quote

Quote:
Berry can probably do it

It looks like it will require some serious welding skills
nitro_rat Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Frame head Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:

If you are replacing the actual pan head it is just as easy to do a link pin as it is to do a ball joint unit. The exact same amount of welding is needed either way...
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Frame head Reply with quote

nitro_rat wrote:
runamoc wrote:

If you are replacing the actual pan head it is just as easy to do a link pin as it is to do a ball joint unit. The exact same amount of welding is needed either way...

Agreed! But you have to be very well jigged up for this task. If it is 1 degree out of line with center, in any direction, the alignment will be off. At this point it is still correctable, but get to the 5 degree mark and it is redo time!

The way I have replaced a frame head is by building a jig, welded to the tunnel and braced to the pan, which allows an old front beam to be used as the locator. To do a change in suspension types may mean a jig which has only the lower beam as the set point and a segment of angle iron placed for the proper camber.

Sure it is possible. Sounds like alot more on jig building!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: