Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front disc brake conversion question…
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
There's a monster thread on all the options for feedback on all the kits.

I was trying to find it the other day, my search criteria must be off. LoL

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

Sometimes less is more. Tried "Type E" and got 409 results, but this one was in the first 10.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762295&highlight=type
Sniperx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

Well. Went with the E motor sports kit. 1 stop shopping wasn’t a factor. Being able to source the parts in a number of years and in a foreign country are what is important to me.
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Sometimes less is more. Tried "Type E" and got 409 results, but this one was in the first 10.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762295&highlight=type

I was searching the "Front Disc Brake Conversion" thread. Again, less is probably more.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sniperx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

Finally finished!!!!

After a lot of logistical challenges and ordering rear discs instead of front (OMG)...I finally got a non-rainy day to complete the project. Big factor was the passenger wheel cylinders puked. So much for NOS OG parts.

The install was super simple. The parts are SUPER heavy and well thought out. Installation took about 30-40 minutes per side, less if you have a bearing packing tool. I spent more time and effort getting tools together and walking back to the garage than I did on the actual job. Only complaint....I wish it had a braided hose option. I hate rubber hoses...it seems they fail at the worst times...

Performance?

Put that stainless rack on hold and buy this kit!!

Make sure your safaris are locked cuz these'll put you through the window. It stops in a very fast and controlled manner now, not grabby after you get the feel. After I dropped it off the jack, I was backing out of the driveway and applied VW Spec 123 pressure to the brakes....WHOA...that'll wake you up! After a couple spins round the block I've got a pretty good handle on things. I think I've some more bleeding to do as my mighty vac is always leaking at the nipple (I never get these damn things to work!), but for now I'm very happy with the buy. One of the best things I'd done for the car in a long time.

Definitely a must buy!!!
Sniperx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

Fun update:

The brakes are effective enough and sensitive enough you can actually easily bring the car to a stop using your finger tips only. It still doesn’t grab though, just very obvious controlled consistent stopping. The car actually rocks on its suspension now. Something I never noticed before. I may have to replace my shocks…
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion question… Reply with quote

Awesome. I've had the Type E kit on my Bus for about a year and it's been awesome. Zero complaints here.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: