Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CSP Disc Brake Conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Disc Brake Conversion Reply with quote

Seeing this old thread resurrected, I will chime in.

My '74 Thing that had CSP front disc brakes was totaled (rear ended while stopped at a traffic light) just over a year ago.

My replacement Thing has 4 lug 15" wheels, Karmann Ghia front disc brakes and Type 3 rear drum brakes.
Stopping performance is better than with the CSP kit, and I believe that the cost of the wheels, tires, all brake parts (including German MC and hand brake cables), wheel bearings (front and rear) came in at less than the quoted $1900 for the CSP kit.
If all of that stuff didn't cost less then $1900, then it was close enough to play jazz.

All of the "wear items" in my new (to me) Thing brakes are standard VW parts that are easy to get; I am happy with the setup.

Good luck, Mondshine
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Disc Brake Conversion Reply with quote

I did the AC conversion and used these wheels
https://www.thethingshop.com/THING-PAINTED-WHEEL-15-x-5-5/productinfo/601025CH/
And these tires.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/5416259594...rmr:1,cs:1

You might find repro split bus wheels or other steel ones cheaper, but I wasn't able to.

Anyway, this may help you to decide.
72 Baja
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Disc Brake Conversion Reply with quote

One other item worth mention:

While unavailable in 2013 when I did my CSP conversion, there are now 15X5.5 wide 5 steel wheels (with the correct hub cap clips) available from multiple suppliers; Thing Shop included.

For the person who prefers the stock look, those wheels would be PF close to stock, and allow greater choice for both brake kits and tires.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
briankbarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Disc Brake Conversion Reply with quote

I installed a front disc brake kit from J Bugs and the brake pads rattle, if slight brake pressure is applied the rattle stops. is there a remedy that works to stop this?
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Disc Brake Conversion Reply with quote

Is anyone aware whether or not you can get different rotor bolt patterns?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Disc Brake Conversion Reply with quote

(To me) The only reason to use the CSP disc brake kit is when the 5x205 (wide 5) bolt circle on 14" wheels is mandatory.

If the stock Thing wheels will not be used, there are many better (and less expensive) options available for disc brakes.

Good luck, Mondshine
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Disc Brake Conversion Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
(To me) The only reason to use the CSP disc brake kit is when the 5x205 (wide 5) bolt circle on 14" wheels is mandatory.

This message is only a few months ago but is the CSP front disc kit still, at this time, the only known kit that allows stock 5x205 14" wheels?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: