Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will a Ghia rear subframe fit?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheApocalyptican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject: Will a Ghia rear subframe fit? Reply with quote

New to the VW scene and thesamba. It's actually my girls 68 Bug. It's currently a manual trans, but we have already picked up the whole autostick setup that she wants. Car has a swing axle right now. Found someone in town that has a 73 Ghia rear irs subframe that looks based on pictures to be correct, but since the Ghia is wider, I'm worried the subframe would be as well.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Will a Ghia rear subframe fit? Reply with quote

How complete is this "subframe?" Are you talking about the I beam with suspension and drivetrain? The Ghia floorpans are wider, so short answer is "no" it will not be a direct fit, unless you replace the pans. Even then, you will still have a lot of work ahead of you, as far as converting the body over to accept the additional wiring reservoir, and all of the other associated parts. How ambitious are you?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Will a Ghia rear subframe fit? Reply with quote

Offroaders do IRS conversions all the time. Just need add the brackets for the torsion arms. There are jigs available to rent to do the conversion. no need to chop up the chassis (and keep it square/level) and a lot less welding to just add the brackets.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
TheApocalyptican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Will a Ghia rear subframe fit? Reply with quote

So it sounds like no which is what I thought. The subframe is the whole rear suspension setup minus the drivetrain. But you confirmed what I thought that it will be wider. My whole reason would be to just unbolt what is there and replace vs the brackets and the jig. I may end up going that way unless I stumble across a bug irs rear. I'm expecting a fair amount of work to convert to the autostick, so anywhere I could save some work could be helpful, but the brackets and jig might actually be the least work. Thanks guys!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a Ghia rear subframe fit? Reply with quote

There isn’t a rear “subframe” on a Ghia or beetle. The rear torsion housing is the same, but it’s not a bolt on unit without replacing the whole pan (or chassis)

The entire pan is removable from both cars, & the pan halves (the floor boards) are wider on a Ghia & these can be cut off & replaced with ones for a beetle.

If you have a “rear subframe”, it’s probably from a TypeIII Fastback/Squareback/Notchback or even an extremely rare TypeIII Ghia. These are NOT a bolt in application for a beetle.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Will a Ghia rear subframe fit? Reply with quote

TheApocalyptican wrote:
So it sounds like no which is what I thought. The subframe is the whole rear suspension setup minus the drivetrain. But you confirmed what I thought that it will be wider. My whole reason would be to just unbolt what is there and replace vs the brackets and the jig. I may end up going that way unless I stumble across a bug irs rear. I'm expecting a fair amount of work to convert to the autostick, so anywhere I could save some work could be helpful, but the brackets and jig might actually be the least work. Thanks guys!

This is a 1970 Beetle chassis. There is no subframe. If you want to use the Ghia back half you have to cut off your existing chassis and weld on the new Ghia back half. You get to decide where to cut but understand the VIN is on the back half of the tunnel. Or you can just add the brackets to what you have.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are trailing arm brackets.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Will a Ghia rear subframe fit? Reply with quote

TheApocalyptican wrote:
New to the VW scene and thesamba. It's actually my girls 68 Bug. It's currently a manual trans, but we have already picked up the whole autostick setup that she wants. Car has a swing axle right now. Found someone in town that has a 73 Ghia rear irs subframe that looks based on pictures to be correct, but since the Ghia is wider, I'm worried the subframe would be as well.

... you don't want an Autostick. You'll need more parts than you realize to swap out from a manual trans. And many Autostick specific parts are thin on the ground.

bnc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: