Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locking the doors
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Locking the doors Reply with quote

I have a stock 1965 1200.

I was surprised when I bought it that push button locks on the insides of the doors weren’t a VW thing until 1967. Okay. Fine.

I wondered how you lock the doors when in the car. I can use the key in the door to open the door, then lock it before closing and I thought that was the only way.

Until Sunday, when I was shown you could push the interior door handle forward (opposite of opening the door) to lock it. Embarassed Wow. I never knew that. COOL!

But it only works on the passenger door. The driver’s door doesn’t do that. Now, driver’s doors are often different in many cars. Should you be able to lock the driver’s door from inside? Just not sure if it’s broken or just not a feature.

Thanks, Sambas
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Locking the doors Reply with quote

There is a trick:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking the doors Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
But it only works on the passenger door. The driver’s door doesn’t do that. Now, driver’s doors are often different in many cars. Should you be able to lock the driver’s door from inside? Just not sure if it’s broken or just not a feature.

Only the passenger door can be locked from the inside in a sedan. Your door remotes are functioning normally.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking the doors Reply with quote

See the "Technical" button at upper right?? Hover your mouse cursor over that and a pop up list will pop up. Left click on the "Owner Manuals" and navigate your way to the type 1 OMs and scroll down to your year. Print out at least two copies, one for home and one for the glove compartment. Read them not just once, but many times till you have a general idea what and where info (lots of need to know info in those pages) is in it and you can get to it in a couple of minutes often by using the index.

Do explore those other buttons. Lots of cool VW info are in there.
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Locking the doors Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information. I do have the manual and read it, but I missed this bit as the manual isn’t particularly clear. Mukluk - that’s the answer I was after. Much thanks.

It’s actually a neat feature. I like it. Thank you all. Very Happy
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Locking the doors Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
Thanks for all the information. I do have the manual and read it, but I missed this bit as the manual isn’t particularly clear. Mukluk - that’s the answer I was after. Much thanks.

It’s actually a neat feature. I like it. Thank you all. Very Happy

That is why the need to read over and over. You can then catch info that you did not pickup before.
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking the doors Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

Only the passenger door can be locked from the inside in a sedan. Your door remotes are functioning normally.

On my '66 sedan both doors can be locked from the inside by pushing the handle forward. Weird. The driver's side is screwy though because the handle doesn't spring back on its own and if you don't get it back into just the right resting position when you close the door, the lock mechanism jams up and you can't unlock the door from the outside which is super fun. I'm betting it's just screwed up somehow because I can't see someone wasting the effort to put a convertible door lock mechanism on this pile.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking the doors Reply with quote

supercub wrote:
On my '66 sedan both doors can be locked from the inside by pushing the handle forward. Weird. The driver's side is screwy though because the handle doesn't spring back on its own and if you don't get it back into just the right resting position when you close the door, the lock mechanism jams up and you can't unlock the door from the outside which is super fun. I'm betting it's just screwed up somehow because I can't see someone wasting the effort to put a convertible door lock mechanism on this pile.

Maybe a latch from a RHD beetle???
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking the doors Reply with quote

supercub wrote:
mukluk wrote:

'66 models are different than '65 and earlier. On both sedans and convertibles for that model year both inside handles can be used to lock the doors. Sorry for the confusion. Your driver's side remote sounds like it needs lubed or something is bent/worn.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

andrewda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Locking the doors Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
coolbugfan wrote:

I have a 64 sedan and 65 vert

I know on the 64, I can lock both driver and passenger from the inside or outside. Both handles also have a key hole on the outside... not sure if that is factory or not but it was on the car when I purchased it

On the 65 vert its the same setup
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Locking the doors Reply with quote

andrewda wrote:
I know on the 64, I can lock both driver and passenger from the inside or outside. Both handles also have a key hole on the outside... not sure if that is factory or not but it was on the car when I purchased it.

It's not. On the same line, my '60 has a 1600SP that was in the car when I purchased it. Wink

andrewda wrote:
On the 65 vert its the same setup.

That is stock and expected to be present in the case of a convertible.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking the doors Reply with quote

Basically, the earlier cars could not be locked from the inside on the driver's side, but this was changed for safety reasons. An outside door handle key lock was also added to the passenger side, so both sides would function the same. (It probably also satisfied the bean counters, because RHD and LHD doors would now be the same.)

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: