Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc_Speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

Perhaps this has been covered before but the search engine turns up nothing.

I'm looking to find the Bay Window bus Type IV engine bell housing that will accept a 912 engine flywheel. Because the Type IV powered Porsche 914 used a Porsche 901 series transmission, which was used by both the 912 and pre-72 911 it stands to reason that something ought to work.

My goal is to have an engine run stand using a Bay Window bus bell housing. I have heard that an automatic transmission bell housing would work. Would a standard transmission bell housing work? If so, which? Automatic or standard or both? Which year(s)? I believe that the Bay Window switched from the Type I engine to the Type IV engine in 1973?

Because the Type II bell housing has a starter bushing, but 901 Porsche transmissions do not (self-supporting starters) I could also use this same run stand for 356 engine work. Venders sell a starter bushing that has a 6-volt starter ID and a 12-volt starter OD.

Thanks!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

the 912 was a 911 with a type 4 engine. 914-4 used a type 4 engine. 1972 and later North American buses used a type 4 engine. 9172 and later Buses used 3 different flywheel sizes. As I recall, 1700 210 mm, 1800 215 mm, and 2L 228 mm. All the manual trans engines use starters that lack a nose support, the bell housing does that. The starters used are specific to the bell housings because the depth of the flywheel is slightly different between flywheels. The automatics used a starter with a nose that was self supporting. It can be made to work in most manual bell housings.

I believe that the 912 and 914-4 flywheels are the same as earlier bus flywheels. The late GA engine in Europe was a 2L engine. I don't know if it used the cast iron bus flywheel or anything different.

In order to choose a manual bell housing, you will need to know the size of your flywheel. Then use an automatic starter in it or just get the correct starter that goes with the bell housing. A really good place to start is somewhere like Auto Atlanta to look up the part number on your 912 engine year. Then use any of the bus fiches available to compared the flywheel part number. Wish I could help you more.
Doc_Speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the 912 was a 911 with a type 4 engine. 914-4 used a type 4 engine. 1972 and later North American buses used a type 4 engine. 9172 and later Buses used 3 different flywheel sizes. As I recall, 1700 210 mm, 1800 215 mm, and 2L 228 mm. All the manual trans engines use starters that lack a nose support, the bell housing does that. The starters used are specific to the bell housings because the depth of the flywheel is slightly different between flywheels. The automatics used a starter with a nose that was self supporting. It can be made to work in most manual bell housings.

I believe that the 912 and 914-4 flywheels are the same as earlier bus flywheels. The late GA engine in Europe was a 2L engine. I don't know if it used the cast iron bus flywheel or anything different.

In order to choose a manual bell housing, you will need to know the size of your flywheel. Then use an automatic starter in it or just get the correct starter that goes with the bell housing. A really good place to start is somewhere like Auto Atlanta to look up the part number on your 912 engine year. Then use any of the bus fiches available to compared the flywheel part number. Wish I could help you more.

SGKent,

I should have been more specific. The Type IV powered 912 you refer to is the 912E. This was a one year production model that gave way to the water cooled 924. The 912 I'm talking about is the original 912, which was produced between 1965-69.

I believe that the "flywheel" measurements you cate are actually the pressure plate/clutch disk running surface diameter. The outer diameter of the ring-gear teeth is obviously going to be larger than this. The bell housing has to be larger than this to avoid grinding.

Here are some measurements taken from a '67 912 engine.

1. Overall flywheel outer ring-gear diameter: 10 7/8" (276 mm)
2. Overall pressure plate diameter: 9 7/8" (250 mm)
3. Diameter of the flywheel clutch disk contact surface: 8" (203 mm)
4. Diameter of the pressure plate's clutch disk contact surface: 8" (203 mm)
When people talk about a 200 mm 912 flywheel they are referring to the clutch disk diameter.
5. Depth of the ring gear teeth into the bell housing from the bell housing/engine case mating surface is about: 1 5/8" (41 mm)

In summary, the Type II bell housing flywheel area needs to be at least 10 7/8 in (276 mm) in diameter and about 1 5/8" deep. FYI, I ran a 912 engine in a '72 bug back in the late '70s. It took a fair amount of bell house grinding and the fabrication of a spacer to make it fit.

Thanks!
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

hello doc,

the picture you included in your post about the air cleaners might help folks visualize the engine to which you refer.

dt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

I can't answer your question directly, but if you use a bus Type 4 flywheel and its matching clutch and starter then all should be well. The 091 bellhousing and starter would be somewhat of a universal fit and would work with all the bus Type 4 flywheels and clutch combinations.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

Here’s a smoking deal on an engine run stand. I bought the prototype years ago. I went to his house. He’s a Porsche guy and can probably answer your question.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2566427

https://zalexindustries.com/

Builder is Tom Perazzo. Great guy

https://www.google.com/search?q=zalex+tom+perazzo&...U4jVQMhgxM
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Doc_Speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Here’s a smoking deal on an engine run stand. I bought the prototype years ago. I went to his house. He’s a Porsche guy and can probably answer your question.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2566427

Thanks! I am aware of these but would prefer the safety not to mention the less expensive route of an old bell housing.

I have a 912 bell housing that works perfectly fine for test running a 912 engine and I know that a 6-volt or a 12-volt Type I trans with the correct starter bushing would be just fine for running a 6-volt 356 engine. What I'm looking for is a Bay Window bell housing that could serve both purposes.

Mounting a 5-bolt Type IV engine on an 8-dowel pin crank just for testing purposes is not an option. But thanks for that thought!

If folks could measure the diameter of their Type IV ring gear, how far their ring gear extends into the bell housing, and whether they have an 001, 002 or an 091 bell housing that would be very helpful. If you could measure the minimum diameter of the bell housing opening, and the width of the inner surface that's there to allow the flywheel to extend into the bell housing, I would appreciate that too.

Thanks!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

If you want an experts opinion you should email Tom Perazzo. He can answer your question because he builds engine run stands for both VW and Porsche. He’s a mechanical engineer and a Porsche guy. I’m sure he would help you. The email is sales@zalex…

You’ll find the whole address on the link I supplied

BTW, I don’t think I ever suggested changing from a 5 bolt to 8 dowel anything
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Doc_Speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
If you want an experts opinion you should email Tom Perazzo. He can answer your question because he builds engine run stands for both VW and Porsche. He’s a mechanical engineer and a Porsche guy. I’m sure he would help you. The email is sales@zalex…

You’ll find the whole address on the link I supplied

BTW, I don’t think I ever suggested changing from a 5 bolt to 8 dowel anything

Aeromech,

Thanks. I'll drop Tom a note.

As for the 5 bolt to 8 dowel pin comment, that comment was aimed at Wildthings who made the suggestion and might still be following this thread."

In the meantime, perhaps some of the readers would be willing to make some measurements in part to help me out and to provide similar assistance to others in the future.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

Doc_Speed wrote:

As for the 5 bolt to 8 dowel pin comment, that comment was aimed at Wildthings who made the suggestion and might still be following this thread."

???????
Doc_Speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I can't answer your question directly, but if you use a bus Type 4 flywheel and its matching clutch and starter then all should be well. .

Wildthings,

Perhaps I misinterpreted your comment somehow? But changing over the stock 912 flywheel to a Type IV flywheel wouldn't work.

The Porsche 912 engine, like a Type I VW engine, the flywheel is attached to the crank by a large 36 mm ATF bolt. It is also located by dowel pins like the Type I VW engine but instead of 4 dowel pins, the 912 uses 8, one of which is offset to provide indexing for balancing.

I hope this helps.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

I think this belongs in the Porsche forum.
Doc_Speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I think this belongs in the Porsche forum.

I'm reasonably confident that Porsche folks don't have the Bay Window transmission and bell housing expertise that you folks in this particular forum have. Who better to ask for direct measurements?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

Doc_Speed wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
I can't answer your question directly, but if you use a bus Type 4 flywheel and its matching clutch and starter then all should be well. .

Wildthings,

Perhaps I misinterpreted your comment somehow? But changing over the stock 912 flywheel to a Type IV flywheel wouldn't work.

I was assuming you were talking about the 912E as as it has essentially the same engine as the bus used.
Doc_Speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I was assuming you were talking about the 912E as as it has essentially the same engine as the bus used.

I had explained the difference between the 912E and the 912 earlier in the thread and so you might have missed that.

You mentioned the 091 bell housing in your first comment. Do those have a starter bushing?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

Doc_Speed wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

I had explained the difference between the 912E and the 912 earlier in the thread and so you might have missed that.

You mentioned the 091 bell housing in your first comment. Do those have a starter bushing?

Yes, but it takes the matching '76-79 manual bus starter, or the starter for a manual Vanagon . The automatic starter will not work with the 091, but I believe you can use the "diesel" starter along with the correct adapter, as per the setup sold for use on the WBXer Vanagon engines.
Doc_Speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Doc_Speed wrote:

Yes, but it takes the matching '76-79 manual bus starter, or the starter for a manual Vanagon . The automatic starter will not work with the 091, but I believe you can use the "diesel" starter along with the correct adapter, as per the setup sold for use on the WBXer Vanagon engines.

Wildthings,

Thank you, this is a big help.

I think that the 002 bell housing has a starter bushing and can use a Bosch SR-17X self-supporting starter. Does this sound right? The earlier Porsche 911 and 912 can use the Bosch SR-17X starter.

My goal is to see if I can have a Bay Window bell housing that has the provision for a 6-volt starter bushing so I can use it for running a 6-volt 356 engine. And that the case is large enough to clear a 912 flywheel (with no concern about the clutch pack) and use a SR-17X self-supporting starter.

I think what I will do is to take some photos of the 912 engine flywheel and the 911/912 transmission case showing the measurements that I would appreciate getting.
Doc_Speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

Here are photos of the 912 engine, flywheel and an early (901) Porsche 911/912 transmission case. Photo captions are above each photo.

If folks could provide equivalent 001 and 002 Bay Window bell housing measurements, I would really appreciate it! It seems like the 091 bell housing has been ruled out.

1. Porsche 912 engine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2. 912 flywheel

3. 912 flywheel ring gear diameter: 10 13/16 in (275 mm)

4. Engine case/trans case mating surface to outer edge of ring gear: 1 5/8 in (41 mm)

5. 911/912 (901 or 902) transmission case (no provision for a starter bushing).

6. 911/912 transmission case flywheel area Inner Diameter: 11 in (279 mm)

7. 911/912 transmission case flywheel area depth: 1 7/8 (48 mm)

8. 911/912 trans. starter mounting flange

9. 911/912 trans. starter mounting flange width: 3 in (76 mm)

10. Starter installed SR-17 Porsche equivalent.

11. Starter nose to trans/engine case mating surface: 1 7/16 in (37 mm)

12. 911/912 transmission case bottom engine stud bolting flange

13. 911/912 transmission case bottom engine stud bolting flange width: 2 1/16 in (52 mm)
Takamotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

Doc_Speed wrote:
Automatic or standard or both?

Automatic won´t work, starter is about 100 mm from engine mounting surface.
Doc_Speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Which Bay Window trans bell housing accepts a Porsche 912 engine Reply with quote

Takamotti wrote:
Doc_Speed wrote:
Automatic or standard or both?

Automatic won´t work, starter is about 100 mm from engine mounting surface.

Takamotti,

Thank you. Then the 001/"automatic" bell housing uses the SR-87 starter like the 091?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: