Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Setting my 72 up
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

My 72 Westfalia had a replacement 411/914 1.7 a number of years ago.
This unit has the dip stick coming out of the top which makes it a tight squeeze to check.
It has had a CB performance twin Solex 32/34PDSI3 kit fitted (fitted badly as the carburettor joining pipe was never connected!) and a 009 distributor with a sports exhaust.

I need help on setting the timing and setting this carburettor set up as I feel that the garage who has been maintaining this vehicle hasn't got as much knowledge on this engine as they are making out.
I need base settings for the carburetors and explanation on what screw does what?
Also I have the gauge on the front of the large pulley for timing marks but I am not convinced the marks on the pulley are correct as this engine has the bung above to facilitate timing.
Sorry about how vague I am but it has been over 30 years since I last worked on one of these engines (73 kombi 1.7 automatic).

Thanks
SC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

Start here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

There is another thread centermount carbs don’t suck. Lots of good info.

For an automatic, you will need to t off the big vacuum tube to your brakebooster and vacuum unit on the transmission if you have the earlier automatic. I ran one for a few years on my 73 automatic and it worked reasonably well for the spring through early fall fair weather driving I do.
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Start here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

There is another thread centermount carbs don’t suck. Lots of good info.

For an automatic, you will need to t off the big vacuum tube to your brakebooster and vacuum unit on the transmission if you have the earlier automatic. I ran one for a few years on my 73 automatic and it worked reasonably well for the spring through early fall fair weather driving I do.

This is not a centremount carburettor it is a twin carburettor setup.
Just looking for base settings as I believe the hole setup is screwed up.

SC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wildDogPizza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

heyskull wrote:
This unit has the dip stick coming out of the top which makes it a tight squeeze to check.
It has had a CB performance twin Solex 32/34PDSI3 kit fitted (fitted badly as the carburettor joining pipe was never connected!) and a 009 distributor with a sports exhaust.

I need help on setting the timing and setting this carburettor set up as I feel that the garage who has been maintaining this vehicle hasn't got as much knowledge on this engine as they are making out.
I need base settings for the carburetors and explanation on what screw does what?
Also I have the gauge on the front of the large pulley for timing marks but I am not convinced the marks on the pulley are correct as this engine has the bung above to facilitate timing.
Sorry about how vague I am but it has been over 30 years since I last worked on one of these engines (73 kombi 1.7 automatic).

Thanks
SC

With regard to the fan timing marks vs the timing scale on the fan shroud, I believe that all the fans have the #1 tdc mark in the same place. The other mark may be in different locations based on the factory recommended distributor timing. You can verify that the raised mark is visible in the shroud hole when the mark on the pulley is lined up with 0 on the scale, and time using the timing scale.

The hole is best for when the motor is in a 914 where a scale on the shroud would be very difficult to see.

Some timing lights have an offset feature that you could time down the hole in the shroud using the tdc mark, but I haven't tried it actually — no need with a bus (especially a 72 like yours or mine) with a timing scale.

Here are 2 fans I have, there may be more out there

From a bus CB motor
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

from a 914/412 EA motor

heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

wildDogPizza wrote:
heyskull wrote:

Thanks
SC

With regard to the fan timing marks vs the timing scale on the fan shroud, I believe that all the fans have the #1 tdc mark in the same place. The other mark may be in different locations based on the factory recommended distributor timing. You can verify that the raised mark is visible in the shroud hole when the mark on the pulley is lined up with 0 on the scale, and time using the timing scale.

The hole is best for when the motor is in a 914 where a scale on the shroud would be very difficult to see.

Some timing lights have an offset feature that you could time down the hole in the shroud using the tdc mark, but I haven't tried it actually — no need with a bus (especially a 72 like yours or mine) with a timing scale.

Here are 2 fans I have, there may be more out there

From a bus CB motor

from a 914/412 EA motor

My engine has been replaced with one out of a 411 or 914 which only use the hole on top and I cannot see into it.
The fan shroud of the original engine has been replaced so it still has the scale but no markers on the face of the fan wheel.

SC
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

Somewhere there are instructions on marking your pulley for use in a bus, likely on Ratwell's site. Just takes a ruler, a marker pen of some sort, and a triangular file.
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Somewhere there are instructions on marking your pulley for use in a bus, likely on Ratwell's site. Just takes a ruler, a marker pen of some sort, and a triangular file.

What are the two marks?
I guess I will have to take off the fan shroud to mark it?

Thanks
SC
wildDogPizza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

I think this is the write up you are talking about.

https://ratwell.com/technical/FindTimingMark.html

It seems like it's making what is very simple seem complicated, but maybe it will help.

To the op, I did explain what the second timing mark is with illustrations.

Personally I am a fan of the chopstick method. Put a chopstick down the spark plug hole, turn the motor using the alternator nut, and feel for when the piston reaches tdc. Look at the distributor, and if the distributor rotor is pointing toward #1 spark plug wire, that is #1 tdc. If the rotor is pointing toward the #3 sparkplug wire, turn the motor another 360, and it should be pointing to #1. This will be #1 tdc.

File a mark on the lip of the fan pulley that lines up with 0 on the scale and paint a white line there. Verifying the mark with a mirror and/or flashlight shows in the fan shroud hole will ensure that you are dead on.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

heyskull wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

What are the two marks?
I guess I will have to take off the fan shroud to mark it?

Thanks
SC

The "0" mark is for TDC and the "I" mark is the timing mark, which can vary a bit from application to application, for a Type 4 car engine it is 27° BTDC.
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

Thanks for the timing help will try and sort it this weekend.

Has anyone any help on setting the CB performance twin Solex 32/34PDSI3 kit that is installed on this van?

Thanks
SC
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

OK after a little further fiddling today I found that the distributor cap central carbon contact was missing!
So I have replaced it and it is a little better and the smell of fuel has disappeared.
Still poping away on that cylinder and it makes very little difference when you pull that HT lead of when running.
What should my next course of action be? I was thinking check the valve gaps and see if I can find a compression tester.
This is all very old school to me and I am enjoying the tinkering.
I have started to remember things that I should of checked in the first place.

thanks
SC
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

Check again that you have your spark plug wires in the correct order. Very easy to get them on wrong.
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

The plug leads are in the he correct order.
Something isn't right on number 1 cylinder.
Maybe valves, piston rings or something else!

SC
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

Spray carb cleaner for vacuum leaks at the base of the manifolds, and very vacuum line connection. What manifolds come with the CB kit? The power brake fittings can leak, even on the original German style.

You could also try swapping plug wires around, to eliminate a bad wire from the equation.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Spray carb cleaner for vacuum leaks at the base of the manifolds, and very vacuum line connection. What manifolds come with the CB kit? The power brake fittings can leak, even on the original German style.

You could also try swapping plug wires around, to eliminate a bad wire from the equation.

Robbie

I have tried all this it seems as if it is either a burnt valv or uoled pisto,n but not enough blow back from that.
The van has been in storage for 6 years could it be something stuck?

Thanks
SC
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

I like to add both FI cleaner and an upper cylinder wall lubricant to my fuel when I put a rig back in service after only sitting a few months as ethanol laced fuel does not age well.
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I like to add both FI cleaner and an upper cylinder wall lubricant to my fuel when I put a rig back in service after only sitting a few months as ethanol laced fuel does not age well.

Sadly I do not think any of that was carried out.

SC
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

I have decided to change all the plugs as this probably would be a good start.
Sadly I am struggling to find any local suppliers for these.
What plugs do I need for a 1972 type 4 1700 motor?
Prefer Bosch or NGK as I can remember back in the day the air cooled stuff just didn't like champion plugs

SC
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

NGK BP6ET. They won’t leak combustion like Bosch, and the triple electrodes mean you don’t have to worry about gap.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heyskull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Setting my 72 up Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
NGK BP6ET. They won’t leak combustion like Bosch, and the triple electrodes mean you don’t have to worry about gap.

Robbie

Sadly I'll put what I can find...lol
In the UK there is obviously a spark plug famine....lol

EC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: