Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1385 build / repair
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kblack1101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: 1385 build / repair Reply with quote

I recently decided to rebuild a Solex 30pict-1 and install it on my motor to "round off" my 1385 build. After tuning and some happy miles, the accelerator pump tube decided it was quittin' time and ejected itself while I was under throttle.

I am still considering myself half lucky, as there was no apparent damage to the valves / valve seats. However, as for the combustion chamber, piston and rings not so much.

I thought I would document my repair here and share my 40hp - 1385 "rebuild" with the group.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
The initial teardown

Damaged #4 piston top

Ring lands / rings damaged. Lots of blue smoke and an oily spark plug

New pistons and barrels Mocked up with NOS 40hp pushrod tubes. I went with satin black paint to match the tins

1.1:1 ratio rockers

Longblock wrapped up
83mm bore
Stock stroke
.045" deck height
44cc combustion chamber
just below 8:1 compression

019 distributor
dwell 47°
32° @ 3500RPM
28Pict-1 carb is back on for now. Might go back to my 30pict-1 once I am confident the replacement accelerator pump tube wont eject.

Install complete
I have about 50 miles on the new rings. Going to change the oil and continue to enjoy the rest of our driving season here in Wisconsin Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
steven wardlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1385 build / repair Reply with quote

Nice work. Beautiful old 40hp. Glad to see that folks still love these old motors.
Kblack1101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1385 build / repair Reply with quote

steven wardlaw wrote:
Nice work. Beautiful old 40hp. Glad to see that folks still love these old motors.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I do love these old 40hps - not sure why but for some reason they make me smile. Hopefully it is good for some more long miles of enjoyment ahead. Cool Cool Cool
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1385 build / repair Reply with quote

Agree; nice clean work. Also well organized workbench and tool rack.

Your intake manifold looks pristine, especially the preheat pipes that are usually heavily pitted from rust wear. Did you prep the manifold at all, or get lucky and find an NOS one?

Have you already felt an improvement with the BB kit and the slightly higher compression ratio in your first 50 mile drive compared to the original engine setup? Or are you waiting until after your oil change and valve adjustment to get on it? There is a recommended procedure to get the piston rings seated; don't be conservative with the driving this early on after the rebuild.
Kblack1101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1385 build / repair Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Agree; nice clean work. Also well organized workbench and tool rack.
Thanks. Trying it out for now. I have a rolling tool cart but find my drawers constantly needing organizing. The tool wall is quick, everything has a home, but it is slowly becoming a monster as well.

Rome wrote:
Your intake manifold looks pristine, especially the preheat pipes that are usually heavily pitted from rust wear. Did you prep the manifold at all, or get lucky and find an NOS one?
Both! I found an NOS manifold last year and installed it. This time around, prior to re installation I lightly scuffed it and resprayed it with Ford Gray engine enamel. This was based on some research and finding it within the posts here on the Samba.

Rome wrote:
Have you already felt an improvement with the BB kit and the slightly higher compression ratio in your first 50 mile drive compared to the original engine setup? Or are you waiting until after your oil change and valve adjustment to get on it? There is a recommended procedure to get the piston rings seated; don't be conservative with the driving this early on after the rebuild.

The old setup (previous owner) was already a 1385. However, it was tired. I suspect the rings were worn or not seated properly when it was installed. This conclusion is based on some of the blow-by I was getting while running as well as the condition of the plugs prior to the disaster mentioned at the beginning of my post. The first 50 miles on THIS build felt great and sounded great too. Varying RPMs in 3rd gear sounded totally different than before. Unfortunately, now after an oil change, valve adjustment and maybe 100-200ish miles - the engine is overheating and my oil looks more like bearing material than oil. I am afraid the brass accelerator pump tube may have come back to haunt me and could be the culprit in some pre-mature bearing failure. Maybe....

After taking the bus camping this upcoming Labor day, I will be splitting the case on the 40horse and will report my findings after I dry my tears. d'oh! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: