Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coolant host help needed for mk1-2 turbo conversion
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
orange914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:31 am    Post subject: Coolant host help needed for mk1-2 turbo conversion Reply with quote

Thanks to all who read this.

I am converting my (factory a/c) 1983 pickup, n/a 1.6d to a mk2 1.9?td k14 & water cooled oil cooler.

Any input on a year/model that may be a direct fitment OR a picture of a flow/hose diagram would be great.

Here's what I came up with as a possibility
chart.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133436543739?hash=item1f1...C5INIqIiWE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant host help needed for mk1-2 turbo conversion Reply with quote

The 1.9td was not available until the mkIII cars. Your link shows for ‘94-‘99 which would be mkIII also.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
orange914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant host help needed for mk1-2 turbo conversion Reply with quote

Okay, 1.6td thru mk2. Check.

I guess it comes down to a coolant hose diagram of a similar mk1/2 1.6 with air conditioning. I was sugestted an A3 would cross fit?

It normally wouldn't be a real issue except for the oil cooler line tie in. The above mkIII has a couple 3way hoses... modified to fit??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant host help needed for mk1-2 turbo conversion Reply with quote

The coolant distribution pipe from the water pump housing is different also, and they are different from year to year. VW makes sure that all of their molded hoses change diameter from one end to the other to keep you from using standard heater hose.

You really need to find a donor/core engine & Robb all of the necessary crap off that engine & then source replacement parts for that year/model.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
orange914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant host help needed for mk1-2 turbo conversion Reply with quote

Since my parts are sorted from different motors and I don't have the luxury or knowledge of single year/model to base my purchase off of. I'm back to collecting basic flow info like...

Onr cooler nipple ties into a 3way upper radiator hose, the other cooler nipple is a 3way into a heater hose

O.K. here's what I'm deducting and my plan. Will be:
Starting with a kit like the ebay silicone link above and adapt any size variations.

BTW k14 came back from the builder. Eee haw, upgraded bearing, portend polished and ceramic coated
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant host help needed for mk1-2 turbo conversion Reply with quote

I hate to tell you this, but that engine will never get hot enough, or spin fast enough, to ever take advantage of what you paid to have any of that done to the turbo.

orange914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant host help needed for mk1-2 turbo conversion Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I hate to tell you this, but that engine will never get hot enough, or spin fast enough, to ever take advantage of what you paid to have any of that done to the turbo.

It's a Giles built I.P. with the rev modification presently on the 1,6, so that's not a problem. I have stepped back however and am considering my options of doing an alh swap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: