Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original paint type adopted
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Melbury
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:44 am    Post subject: Original paint type adopted Reply with quote

Hello All,
I am close to the final painting of the body shell of my 52 Deluxe crotch cooler in black. My restorer is suggesting using what I believe is a too modern technique of using a base coat then a lacquer?
I'm not too sure but originally the car would have a gloss black top coat and not rely on the gloss in the lacquer?
I would like to use the closest paint system to the original as is possible these days. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance Neil
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Original paint type adopted Reply with quote

quote - 'I would like to use the closest paint system to the original as is possible these days'

I guess that would mean using a cellulose paint.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Original paint type adopted Reply with quote

My painter used PPG single-stage paint on my 50 standard split. This is the closest I could find to the "original look" with modern paint.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Original paint type adopted Reply with quote

Glasurit 22 line is the closest single stage paint that you will get to original, though it is $$$
I checked the price a while ago and it was well over 1,000usd for a gallon and hardener Shocked . PPG Omni and AkzoNobel U-Tech are single stage and available most places.
cory464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Original paint type adopted Reply with quote

I understand what you are trying to do, but it really is in your best interest to use a good quality urethane finish. and i strongly recommend a base/ clear system. you can adjust the gloss level by adding a deadening agent to the clear. have your painter spray out some test panels until you achieve the desired gloss level. when you consider the cost of a complete refinish, it just makes sense to use a long lasting finish.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Original paint type adopted Reply with quote

finster wrote:
quote - 'I would like to use the closest paint system to the original as is possible these days'

I guess that would mean using a cellulose paint.

In these days, VW used single stage resin enamel paint.
I used this also to do my split, the kind of gloss it delivers is close to original. And it works well together with original paint when you blow by for repair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Original paint type adopted Reply with quote

50Splitman wrote:
My painter used PPG single-stage paint on my split. This is the closest I could find to the "original look" with modern paint.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Original paint type adopted Reply with quote

I checked online and found Axalta (Dupont) Centari single-stage acrylic enamel in 99S Pitch Black premix is still available in the U.S. for $300/gallon.

PPG Delstar DAR 9000 Black was discontinued about 5 years ago, but old stock may still be available.

Sherwin-Williams still produces at least two Acrylic enamel product lines for their Martin Senour label, sold through NAPA.

I believe BASF Limco is another acrylic enamel product line still available in the U.S.

IMHO, PPG Duracryl DDL-9300 Original Equipment Black acrylic lacquer, when polished out, was the closest domestic match to the OEM Glassomax LK041 synthetic enamel, unless you like orange peel.

I would also search the the Body/Paint forum, as a lot of professional painters post current product availability/price there.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Original paint type adopted Reply with quote

FWIW

when i had my L41 59 beetle painted in the late 80s, i had it painted with a clear coat. the inside was still original paint. looked perfect together. I would absolutely do that again.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Lord Melbury
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Original paint type adopted Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice it is greatly appreciated, I forgot to add I am in the UK so shipping from the states may be a problem.
At the moment I'm steering towards an acrylic enamel but still not 100% certain. Anyway thanks to all who answered.
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Original paint type adopted Reply with quote

You must show us this car. Your attention to detail makes me think that this will be one of the great ones. Please post pictures of her progress when you feel comfortable to do so.
Lord Melbury
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Original paint type adopted Reply with quote

In answer to Death Ray it's not a case of paying special attention to detail. it's more a case of while the car is in its current form in etch primer why not paint it as close as I can to original, with what is available these days.
I realise that paint systems have moved on in the 70 years since the car was new and not being an expert in the field, I am interested in samba members views/opinions. For which I am grateful.

Regards Neil (Lord Melbury)
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Original paint type adopted Reply with quote

If you can find old Glasurit color charts for original VW colors, there are several types of paint listed for each color. Here's a page from my gallery using a Glasurit brand color book from my father's time as a field service engineer with VW in the late 1950's: L, LK, LKL-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a can of paint (EverettB gallery) which would be available from VW dealers' parts departments.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The LKL before the color code stands for the German words Lack (paint), Kunstharz (enamel), Lufttrocknend (air dry). I'm fairly certain that all VW factory-painted colors prior to the 1970's were single stage, in that there was no clear coat on top of the color coat.

Be aware that there can be misunderstandings of paint due to language/translations between British/King's English, US English, and the translated English from German. In the USA, "lacquer" is meant to be nitrocellulose paint. In German that is referred to as "Nitrolack". You can apply such paint in many layers; it air dries quickly. Then you polish the somewhat satiny as-sprayed surface to achieve gloss. But the gloss is not as durable as enamel paint, or certainly nowhere near urethane paint that hardens due to chemical reaction of at least 2 components, instead of air-drying such as nitrocellulose or enamels.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: