Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body rust repair! 1969 Beetle pan-off resto drags on.....
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmmd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:06 pm    Post subject: Body rust repair! 1969 Beetle pan-off resto drags on..... Reply with quote

So it's been awhile since I posted on this project. It kind of stalled out due to my paint and body guy getting so far then totally stopping work. The rust was pretty extensive and he made a lot of progress, media blasted the whole car, replaced the heater channels and more, primered then stopped. I had to go fetch the shell because we were getting nowhere.

Now I still have some work to do. Should I buy repair panels and pieces to fix these spots or try to fix them from scratch with bulk or scrap metal? I am a very inexperienced welder but have some basic skills. I replaced my pans and fixed some of the other problem areas on the pan.

HELP????

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Body rust repair! 1969 Beetle pan-off resto drags on..... Reply with quote

I had some of the same rust damage you have. I bought repair panels. They were low quality, but better than starting from a flat piece of steel. At least they were stamped in the general shape I needed.
First photo: I see outward dents in forward quarter, you could gently hammer those in, very tight to get a dolly in there. Ugly dent in lower rear quarter. Was it there when the heater channels were replaced, or got dented during transport back to your garage?
Second photo: forward bulkhead. I replaced mine. Lots of spotwelds. Maybe better to just replace this with flat steel. What shape was the areas where the heater channels weld in? I replaced my channels and bulkhead at the same time.
Third photo: must be drivers side rear area. There is a repair panel to fix that common rust area. Some of those other spots I would just cut out till you get to good metal, then weld in flat steel.
Fourth photo: looks like somebody already started, did not finish. Again, repair panel is available to put here. I see that dent on the edge of the photo.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Body rust repair! 1969 Beetle pan-off resto drags on..... Reply with quote

As someone has said on the SAMBA before. You don't have to be a good welder. Only a good grinder.

Use the opportunity to make or buy some replacement panels using as much original metal as possible. Start with the welding on non-visible areas first to hone your skills.

We all had to start somewhere with welding. It's amazing how you can turn even the rustiest area into something good.

Rules:

1. Make sure your areas are clean
2. You can't weld over rust
3. Go slowly with your welds and keep cool to avoid distortion
4. Plan your cuts so you can get a dolly behind to remove distortion. Sometimes you can't.
5. Use as little BONDO as you can and make sure you use FIBREGLASS filler on the back and front of your welds to make sure there are no pin-holes. There will be.

Anyone can do it. So can you.
mcmmd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Body rust repair! 1969 Beetle pan-off resto drags on..... Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouraging words! I have ordered replacement panels from Wolfsburg West for the areas in question and will post some updates when the actual work gets underway!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: