Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

splitting the case
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Railkid09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: splitting the case Reply with quote

whats the best way to split a case if you dont have the actual tool?? Ive tried a dead blow hammer and it did nothing... And I know that your not supposed to stick any prying device between the halves..
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First make sure you have ALL the case nuts off. ALL of them. I've never used a case splitting tool.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
case splitting tool

I made one out of a bolt and a piece of pipe

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hydro626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubber mallet and some gravity

"Never name your car...too much unhealthy emotional connection coupled with your human dark/light,yin/yang energy affects the mechanical health of the vehicle and causes magnetic convergences like the one you just had.that, or some old f**k backed into your car,its hard to tell..." -johnnypan
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
case splitting tool

Perfect.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
candymustang65
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you blankin Crazy ?
No way on that tool .
The Oil Pump bore is extremely critical / Important / as in the O.D. of the oil pump houseing itself .
There's actually 2 places you can safely pry a case apart .
1 is the top of the Bell houseing in the Case split < Usuall is to notch it some no more than 1/2 inch down when prying .
The other place I never use but it's under the oil pump <, I usually just use a rubber mallet here and No prying .
Use Carb Spray < it eat's aviation permatex and Mr. Gasket type sealant's .
Work it apart carefully .
Note I actually Mike my Pump houseing O.D. and the I.D. of the Oil pump case hole.
Ahhh Read Bill Fisher's how to Hott Rod your V.W. book it will tell you what Im tellin you .
Maybe you could fabricate an expander tool like that but use an actuall oil pump houseing cut in half ? Razz
Now there's a marketable Idea !
Make Royalty's payable too ------------- ?
Damn guess I almost forgott I was a Super Hero incapable of accepting payment for righting the World of it's wrong's LMAO Twisted Evil
Sean
lupin..the..3rd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candymustang65 wrote:
No way on that tool .

x2 on this, unless you use a small block of wood on either end, to prevent damage to the oil pump bore.
chased33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candymustang65 wrote:

Maybe you could fabricate an expander tool like that but use an actuall oil pump houseing cut in half ? Razz
Now there's a marketable Idea !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...0073920127

or

http://www.appletreeauto.com/case-splitter-pr-1318.html

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...0414647634

or

http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2333

1972 Super Beetle (1641 SP)
2009 Trek 7.1 FX (daily driver)
Turgidflo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: splitting the case Reply with quote

After experimenting to no avail I read the Tom Wilson Engine Rebuild case splitting info & found tapping a hammer at the tabs of metal that protrude/jut from the case at the seam works the best - There is one at the top near the flywheel housing & another at the bottom near the pully wheel on the other half of the case- The trick is to knock on both at the same time. If the case is held down firmly it shouldn’t take much force. Once its an 8th of an inch apart you should be able to pull it open by the cylinder studs.

I was like yeah right I found all the nuts on the Type 1 case but on closer inspection found one lurking below the Pully Wheel. If its not splitting easily its worth checking for extra nuts.

I'm doing a bad job paraphrasing i don't have the book to hand right now.

I recently picked up two 1500cc H 5 possible replacement engines and tried to get them both apart today for inspection for rebuild potential but only got one open :l Really don't understand why the second isn't splitting.. Is it true that some cases have a nut behind the flywheel ? I wasn't able to take the flywheel off yet- Don’t have socket that size & available impact wrench is probably not powerful enough. They are both H5's 65-69 engines
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: splitting the case Reply with quote

I've popped most every case I've split over the past 50 years in the oil pump bore with a crowbar and a shop,rag

The OD on the oil pump is non critical. Sealing surfaces are on the rear face of the case, and oil pressure clearances are determined inside the pump, not outside.
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
case splitting tool

just use a thick peice of gasket paper or a swatch of rubber inbetween the bolt/socket and bore and you have a decent case splitter. No need to badger this guy he just needs to perfect this diy tool.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: splitting the case Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I've popped most every case I've split over the past 50 years in the oil pump bore with a crowbar and a shop,rag

The OD on the oil pump is non critical. Sealing surfaces are on the rear face of the case, and oil pressure clearances are determined inside the pump, not outside.

Confused

Why are the new loose fitting oil pumps a problem then? They were designed to be a few thou of press fit. if they fit loose you don't get good suction, and will not pressurize the oil galleys properly. why do you think that we have had to start installing O-rings on them then?

the last thing i want is a dent or burr standing proud of the bore and jacking up all the attention to detail i've given the build.

i will never use a case splitter, no need.

I always tap my case apart at the seam on top, and then pry them apart by yanking on either case half with my hands in the cylinder bores. never had an issue yet.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: splitting the case Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Confused

Why are the new loose fitting oil pumps a problem then? They were designed to be a few thou of press fit. if they fit loose you don't get good suction, and will not pressurize the oil galleys properly. why do you think that we have had to start installing O-rings on them then?

the last thing i want is a dent or burr standing proud of the bore and jacking up all the attention to detail i've given the build.

i will never use a case splitter, no need.

I always tap my case apart at the seam on top, and then pry them apart by yanking on either case half with my hands in the cylinder bores. never had an issue yet.

Had a b case on its first split and ruined the sides of my deadblow as well as eating into that seem when metal started hiting aluminum. Case splitter is the best way, on the other hand A builders moral on a 3rd used oem vw case, can be quite low, causing them to do unthinkable atrosities, unspeakable aks, things that people wisper about in dark alleys and dimly lit street corners, but trying to take a vw tool and turning it into novelty.lol. all the OG pros used them you just said a few posts back that you like oem pushrod tubes, why not stick to the purist handbook, no pun intended.
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: splitting the case Reply with quote

Ignoramt question but....I searched. Tom Wilson book on order.

Is there a way or side to best rotate engine so the LEAST amount of innards shift or fall out?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: splitting the case Reply with quote

NachoCar wrote:
Ignoramt question but....I searched. Tom Wilson book on order.
Is there a way or side to best rotate engine so the LEAST amount of innards shift or fall out?

Ideally you want the engine lying on its LEFT side (#'s 3 and 4 down), this puts the 6 main case nuts UP so that you can see and easily remove them, and puts the studs pointing upward as you remove the RIGHT case-half upward. Typically the only thing that is going to fall out in this scenario is the four lifters in the right half. They do make little clips (takes a pair only) to hold them in place, sometimes they work, sometimes not, but it's no big deal if you're replacing things anyway.

Clips: https://www.mooreparts.com/empi-5759-vw-lifter-ret...gKPlPD_BwE

Last edited by Busstom on Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: splitting the case Reply with quote

Thanks so much!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: splitting the case Reply with quote

No worries...I just edited and added the link for clips for your reference.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: splitting the case Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
They do make little clips (takes a pair only) to hold them in place, sometimes they work, sometimes not, but it's no big deal if you're replacing things anyway.

I just cut small pieces of metal coat hanger and bent them to be springy.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: splitting the case Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Busstom wrote:
They do make little clips (takes a pair only) to hold them in place, sometimes they work, sometimes not, but it's no big deal if you're replacing things anyway.

I just cut small pieces of metal coat hanger and bent them to be springy.

I repurposed my flint for the Oxy/Acetylene welder. Cut the ends off!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: splitting the case Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I repurposed my flint for the Oxy/Acetylene welder. Cut the ends off!

That's a good idea. You musta done two. Those things are hecka springy!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: