Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 169, 170, 171 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Reputable/honest shops on south Florida (Fort Lauderdale area) Reply with quote

airkewld0scar wrote:
... suggestions of good shops in the Fort Lauderdale area ...

The shops I know of are more focus'd on older German imported bugs, so you should check them out yourself first:

Street & Sand Toys, near Dixie Hwy in Oakland Park
McNab Foreign Car, http://www.mcnabforeigncar.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I purchased a new 'Sport' muffler from Antonio last Monday, three days later, including inspection by both US and Canadian customs it arrived.

So .... I spent today installing it, no problem except I couldn't get the O2 sensor off my old cat/muffler. Luckily I had bought a new one from Antonio a few years ago, so I installed that one:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
I purchased a new 'Sport' muffler from Antonio last Monday, three days later, including inspection by both US and Canadian customs it arrived.

So .... I spent today installing it, no problem except I couldn't get the O2 sensor off my old cat/muffler. Luckily I had bought a new one from Antonio a few years ago, so I installed that one:

Looking good there!
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

New lambda probe (O2 sensor) and catalytic converter.

I changed the lambda probe in 2020 and the test emissions was passed with CO levels too high, just on the limit (0.5%) so in 2021 a brand new catalytic was installed... with the same resut in the test.

But yesterday during the 2022 annual safety inspection with emissions test, the lambda coefficient was 1.025 when the limit for the air-fuel ratio is 1.030 (lean mixture).

I don't know where is the problem. Probably an air leak?

Last fuel consumption on highway was 7.1 l/100k (40 MPG) and I feel the engine is full of power

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:

Beware when the paint blows off caught me by surprise for heat paint....Sam
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Sotobaggins wrote:

Beware when the paint blows off caught me by surprise for heat paint....Sam

Soto: I assume you meant burns off, I was not expecting that, but 600 km later (today), it is all burned off. I saw a 10 degree drop in engine (oil) temperature at highway speed (120 km/h) with the new muffler. As I expected, my cat was running extremely hot, I couldn't even touch the engine hood, with the new muffler I can put my hand on the apron.

We no longer have emissions tests here Smile .
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Sam: I assume you meant burns off, I was not expecting that, but 600 km later (today), it is all burned off.

We no longer have emissions tests here Smile .[/quote]
I wish mine was a pop and I thought I broke something until I saw black flakes hehehehehe
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

My 16-to-3 pins OBD2 finished

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Nicely done!
wil7496
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Vacuum Pipes - regarding the two green vacuum pipes in the engine bay of the 1600i, is the size, i.e. the internal diameter critical. Have contacted Antonio, but sadly these pipes are no longer available, and I'm looking at changing mine in a hope they are the cause of the high rpm when engine is cold - I have already changed the TPS and Temp Sensor but problem still persists. The only vacuum pipes I can find here in the UK are made of silicone and the ones I've found have an I.d. of approximately 3.4mm but I can't find any info anywhere regarding need to replace like for like. Hope all that makes sense and someone can confirm if I can use different size silicone as replacements.
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I’m not sure where to find the vacuum lines. In the past, if my lines cracked I just bought some barded fuel line. I just cut out the bad section, then couple it with the fuel line. I’ve done it three times now, no problems. Good luck!
wil7496
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Ok, in a quick summary of what I've done this morning in another attempt to cure my high rpm when cold.
Firstly, I have this morning changed the vacuum pipes for silicone ones (due to originals no longer being available) - sadly this made no difference.
Secondly, I knew there was an icv fitted, but in all honesty, I don't understand the role of this valve. I decided to remove the pipe from icv to air filter housing, I noticed it was fitted very loosely. At this point I decided to start engine, and unsure why, whilst engine was running, I covered slightly the end of the pipe still connected to icv - this immediately reduced the rpm. This then got me thinking it could be the icv. I removed the icv and noticed the inside was filthy, with a small spray of brake cleaner, I cleaned the dirt away but the more I cleaned I noticed that a 'valve' of some kind begin to move up and down, very sluggish to begin with but the more I cleaned the more freely it moved. After a good few minutes of cleaning, I refitted everything back to the engine, started the engine and it was immediately obvious the rpm was considerably lower, so fingers crossed, the cleaning of the icv has improved the rpm issue. I'm going to let the engine go cold now and then take her out for a drive and hopefully I can report back with some good news.
wil7496
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

It appears to be good news. Awoke this morning and immediately went down to start the engine, with everything crossed hoping the rpms weren't high - thankfully it was idling fine, so obviously the icv has some sort of affect with the rpm when engine is cold - going to take it for a drive now and enjoy it at last!
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

wil7496 wrote:
It appears to be good news. Awoke this morning and immediately went down to start the engine, with everything crossed hoping the rpms weren't high - thankfully it was idling fine, so obviously the icv has some sort of affect with the rpm when engine is cold - going to take it for a drive now and enjoy it at last!

Good to here!
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Attended a great show in Joliette QC (Quebec) this past weekend, there was an SP2 there, first one I've seen, here are the pics, first an aerial shot (not my pic) of some of the cars. The white car beside my car (guess which one Smile ) is an '01:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Very unique car! I would love to test drive one!
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

1984 Mexican Built Velvet Red Beetle (Samtroter Sonderkäfer) in Sept 22 near Stuttgart

hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Well no one's posted in a week or so, so I thought I'd share a couple of aerial photos of my car, I can't take credit for them, this was an end of year cruise event and the organizer had a drone taking pics. He caught a nice couple of pics of my car:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

3,100 kms (1,925 miles) and two weeks road trip

Travelling from northern Spain across southern France, Monaco, Cote d'Azur and Catalonia to 2022 Tossa de Mar VW Meeting

Photo taken on Saint-Sulpice-sur-Lčze

Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Finally I found a set of center covers for the wheels!

Now I'm looking for the aproppiate bolts covers. Some suggestion?

[img]
[/img]

Last edited by Pegasín on Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 169, 170, 171 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 170 of 193

Jump to: