Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Maximum engine size on a single carburetor?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
m.abbadessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Maximum engine size on a single carburetor? Reply with quote

Hi, im wanting to build my 1679cc engine a little bigger. It is in a sandrail and for the sake of keeping it simple and having less moving parts I want to stick with a center mounted carb. What is the biggest engine you all would recommend for a center mounter carb? And what heads and cam?
Thanks
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum engine size on a single carburetor? Reply with quote

Which carburetor will you be using?

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum engine size on a single carburetor? Reply with quote

Class 12 desert racers use a 44 IDF on a 2276cc with CB Wedgeport Heads and 1.75" intake manifold runners.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum engine size on a single carburetor? Reply with quote

Didn't FAT build some big Type 4's with single IDF's?

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum engine size on a single carburetor? Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
Didn't FAT build some big Type 4's with single IDF's?

eQ

They offered single carbs on 2.7-3.0 liters, yes. They were not hp monsters, but had a lot of midrange grunt.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
m.abbadessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum engine size on a single carburetor? Reply with quote

I plan to use a single weber 44.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum engine size on a single carburetor? Reply with quote

If you look at big American iron tiny carburetors on oversized V8s are nothing new.

Going way back to 1932, Lincoln built a V12 similar to Ford's flathead V8 only half again bigger, literally.

The old Fords used a carb that looks similar to the old Holley Bug Spray.

The 5 liter Lincoln V12 used exactly one Bug Spray (ish) carb.

Maybe that's why old Bug Spray carbs get such crappy mileage?

More recently GM in general and Chevy in particular put one tine carb on anything they didn't view as a "high performance" application.

It won't be long until no one remembers what a carburetor is. Rolling Eyes

earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum engine size on a single carburetor? Reply with quote

I seem to recall a buddy of mine with a 2180 and a single Zenith 32mm carb in his Baja that hauled ass.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum engine size on a single carburetor? Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
I seem to recall a buddy of mine with a 2180 and a single Zenith 32mm carb in his Baja that hauled ass.

eQ

From the late 60s until offroad racers got LS engines and transaxle combination figured out, back when car count per race was 300-400 cars (now 100 cars is a big deal) the 2180 Type 1 with a single Zenith 32NDIX was by FAR the winningest offroad race combo. Norris 336S cam (Engle copied it and call it 110) with relatively mild dual port heads and checkered flag here I come. In fact, in those days, virtually EVERY unlimited class buggy and Class 5 Baja Bugs ran that same combo.

Not what I would choose for climbing Competition Hill at Glamis. But for hard rock desert, it's still one of the best setups. Although while I'm real fond of Zenith carbs, I'd probably choose a 44IDF instead now.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum engine size on a single carburetor? Reply with quote

Interesting. What kind of power does that combo make and how would it be for a class 11 type build for street duty and light off road, eg. gravel/fire roads? Thanks.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum engine size on a single carburetor? Reply with quote

I have Zenith 32 carbs on both my volkswagens. On my fiberglass buggy (just got it running again, after 9 years), I use it on a 1915 with an engle 110. Single Zenith. It has duned all over Glamis and Buttercup. On the same engine I have had a single 40 idf, and dual 40 IDF. I agree with Richard, that for climbing competition hill, the dual 40 was best, gave that kind of screaming high rpm performance that a smaller motor needs to climb big hills made of sand. However, I went back to the zenith for its outstanding reliability. Its fantastic offroad, doesnt mind hills, bouncing around. I also have a class 11 look alike, that unfortunately I have not had time to use much as intended. For that I also have a single zenith 32, on a 1776 with engle 100. I feel its also great on that application. Zenith 32 on an 1835 used to be a favorite both street and offroad.
Thing is, you have to find a used carb in good condition, as well as a manifold. You can buy new webers or copies.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum engine size on a single carburetor? Reply with quote

A quick look into the float bowl will tell the story why they are so good off road. Look at that bowl volume surrounding the emulsion tubes. They are nearly centered. The closer to center, the more consistent the fuel level is inside them when tipped on angles, or fuel sloshes. It kind of averages out near the center, keeping afr more consistent. The only other carb fitted to automobiles I am aware of that behaves like this is the SU HIF…beats the pants off a Holly on a Rover V8 when rock crawling, hands down. Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum engine size on a single carburetor? Reply with quote

Not only is the float bowl centered on the Zenith, the float bowl vent is centered above the throat, with a thread for a fitting to add a hose to extend way up into a remote air cleaner.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum engine size on a single carburetor? Reply with quote

Well I picked up what appears to be a good 32 NDIX on flea bay for 175. So this will support a 2180? seems small for that size. Maybe they were modded? I know there was a 36 and a 38 also I believe.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum engine size on a single carburetor? Reply with quote

rodeking wrote:
Well I picked up what appears to be a good 32 NDIX on flea bay for 175. So this will support a 2180? seems small for that size. Maybe they were modded? I know there was a 36 and a 38 also I believe.

There was NO error in what I or joemama posted above.

May seem small if you're accustomed to drag race or big dune hill climbing WFO throttle/high RPM uses. But for general use, it will work fine.

As I said... That setup won most EVERY desert offroad race for decades. Mint 400 to Baja 1000. to SNORE Midnight Special to ... It beat 700hp trucks like Walker Evans, Frank Vessels, Rod Hall, Mickey Thompson's mid-engined buggy and Chevy LUV and Sprint Car style buggies. Ivan Stewart's Ford and Toyotas, etc. I could keep going. That setup with a "small" single Zenith 32NDIX carb beat ALL of them! CONSISTENTLY!

$175 is a fine price for a Zenith. Intake manifolds to fit used to be every where and fit several types of carbs. But I haven't seen one for sale for a while. You can use an independent runner manifold or a plenum manifold. I've used both and still have them. I'm not selling mine.

For most offroad use, high horsepower at high RPM is not what is best. Only for big sand dunes, mud bog racing, and sand drags are where that is the way to go. Many who have come over from other sorts of motorsports have difficulty understanding that.
SoCalBajas Member
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum engine size on a single carburetor? Reply with quote

Dusty, I wasn't questioning anyone's knowledge. That sounds great, if it goes flat at 5000 that's fine, I luv low to mid-range torque. I also scored a DGAV 32/36 in very nice condition off a Nissan 720 2.4 L engine for 100. I know everyone hates progressives but John @aircooled has the knowledge to set them up right and what he says makes sense and I'm always up for a challenge. As for manifolds I have the skills and welders, lathe, mill, etc to make my own. Lots of manifold heat is the key it appears.
Sorry to hear about your medical issues, it sucks. I always like reading your posts on here.
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum engine size on a single carburetor? Reply with quote

The only thing the small 32/36 carb limits you on really is outright power, you can make as much torque as you like so long as you accept that you're gonna be about 130-150bhp peak power. If that's enough power then it's not a problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: