Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear seat for a 74
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronbug73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: rear seat for a 74 Reply with quote

Hi Samba

i want to install a rear seat coupe in my 74
is it possible ?
thank you
Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Driveway Jewelry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: rear seat for a 74 Reply with quote

Are you wanting to add it for looks or do you have a very small child that you want to sit sideways in the back?
ronbug73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: rear seat for a 74 Reply with quote

i want the seat to be there in case i will have to take my kid
Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: rear seat for a 74 Reply with quote

My first Ghia, a 74 that I owned about 10 years ago, had a rear seat installed by a previous owner. The PO also did the lowback front seat conversion by putting pre-68 seat covers on without installing the headrests. I think I should have more pics on my old computer if you want to see more details of it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronbug73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: rear seat for a 74 Reply with quote

yes Era
i will be happy to see pictures of the instillation
thank you
Ron
EPETREA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: rear seat for a 74 Reply with quote

I also have a 74 fat chic and if I recall , the 74 is NOT designated as a 4 seater but rather a 2 seater. This is because in 74 the feds required that all seats have a seat belt. VW didn’t want to install them so hence the change. It’s not problem to add the seat but I’m not sure if it would be legal if you were to be pulled over. You might want to check with local cops to verify before spending the cash for something you may or may not be able to use. Now there is a question of whether or not that would apply to an antique vehicle if it were registered as one. Anybody know the answer to that????
Abigdumkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: rear seat for a 74 Reply with quote

ronbug73 wrote:
Hi Samba

i want to install a rear seat coupe in my 74
is it possible ?
thank you
Ron

Do you have the original shelf and rear opening cover in yours? A previous owner installed a rear seat in mine, and I want to go back to the original....
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: rear seat for a 74 Reply with quote

In the US they stopped installing the rear seat in 73 I believe, but in Europe they continued using it. An earlier rear seat will fit no problem.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
dclaxon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: rear seat for a 74 Reply with quote

EPETREA wrote:
... if I recall , the 74 is NOT designated as a 4 seater but rather a 2 seater. This is because in 74 the feds required that all seats have a seat belt. VW didn’t want to install them so hence the change.

My '70 vert has a back seat, but according to the sticker on the passenger side rear door post, it is also designated as a 2 seater.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ronbug73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: rear seat for a 74 Reply with quote

Hi
can someone send a picture of the original vw rear cargo of a 1974, where there was a seat .
i dont know if the wood frame is original and if the cargo under the shelf was closed
thank you
Ron
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: rear seat for a 74 Reply with quote

ronbug73 wrote:
Hi
can someone send a picture of the original vw rear cargo of a 1974, where there was a seat .
i dont know if the wood frame is original and if the cargo under the shelf was closed
thank you
Ron

These three 74's all have their original rear cargo area

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-20/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-22/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-2/

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronbug73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: rear seat for a 74 Reply with quote

ok
my rear 74 cargo is original
thank you
Ron
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: