Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My old 55 w/semaphores
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dnh1263
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: My old 55 w/semaphores Reply with quote

found

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by dnh1263 on Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My old 55 w/semaphores Reply with quote

So are you trying to locate the car?
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
dnh1263
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: My old 55 w/semaphores Reply with quote

Yes.
dnh1263
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My old 55 w/semaphores Reply with quote

found
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My old 55 w/semaphores Reply with quote

dnh1263 wrote:
found

Any update???
dnh1263
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My old 55 w/semaphores Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
dnh1263 wrote:
found

Any update???

Yes. I spoke with the guy that has the VW. He seems like a nice guy who may have bitten off more than he can chew. It's been sitting in his garage for 6-7 years waiting on heater channels and floor pan installs. But, he said he can't lift the body off the frame because the body is too deteriorated.

It did not sound as if the VW had been worked on in years but my 75 year old step mom thinks he's actively restoring it and one day he's going to call and say IT'S DONE! Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes

I asked the guy to go over and talk to her, tell her what the VW needs and give her an honest estimated cost and timeline for restoration.

If he's not going to work on it, we need to get it into the hands of someone who can. Life is too short.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My old 55 w/semaphores Reply with quote

dnh1263 wrote:
Life is too short.

Definitely!! Thanks for the update details. Always nice to have a good result.
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My old 55 w/semaphores Reply with quote

Get it out of there now.

Seen it, lived it, don't like it.

Good luck with the restoration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My old 55 w/semaphores Reply with quote

6-7 years! good grief man. You either get started fixing it or you give it back. If you can't figure out how to shoehorn a channel under a rusted car, you're in the wrong line of work.
dnh1263
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: My old 55 w/semaphores Reply with quote

markendee wrote:
Get it out of there now.

Seen it, lived it, don't like it.

I agree.
dnh1263
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: My old 55 w/semaphores Reply with quote

esde wrote:
6-7 years! good grief man. You either get started fixing it or you give it back. If you can't figure out how to shoehorn a channel under a rusted car, you're in the wrong line of work.

I've asked him for current pics of the 55. He said he was out of town for 2 weeks but would send when he returns.
dnh1263
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My old 55 w/semaphores Reply with quote

I thought I'd update with a happy ending. The 55 VW is now back with the family after spending 6-7 years at a family friends garage. He was supposedly "restoring" it for my step mom but had actually not done a damned thing to it.

After some convincing, she got in touch with him and had my nephew go get the car. She's pissed at me for intervening but whatever. That's a whole nuther story! LOL. Rolling Eyes

My nephew is a ford certified diesel mechanic with lots of ambition. He wants to get the old 55 VW back on the road and I suspect he actually will.

Thanks to all for the push to get this car back in the family. Something didn't feel right to me or many of you.

markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My old 55 w/semaphores Reply with quote

That's great news.

Hope your nephew gets right into it. He might become a Beetle guy with a bit of luck.

I love that your car predates the US bullet indicators, not a fan of them.

I saw a Chris Vallone video where a US customer opted to remove them and thought well done him. I guess it is just different taste.

Hope to watch your car resto and the presentation to your step Mom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dnh1263
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My old 55 w/semaphores Reply with quote

My nephew wants to put a new pan, heater channels and whatever else the car needs to be structurally & mechanically sound and then leave it as it is with all of it's rust and dents.

Back in 1990 the engine, front end and brakes were rebuilt using all NOS german parts. Since then, the car has been driven maybe 3 miles! No kidding! Back then everything electrical worked on the 6v system. Even the semaphones flipped open and lit up. Exclamation It even has a NOS correct single tip muffler.

So, he's hoping a lot of the things that I did to the VW back in 1990, will still be OK. I'm sure the brakes will need attention.

It'll be a fun project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: