Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Westfalia rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
I was able to finish my front right door windows. The original was not original. It had an aftermarket watermark on it and rattled loose in the frame for ever and ever. I think the original owner in Venice, Calif must have had their window busted out at some point in the first 9 years of ownership. I got the spare glass in a junk yard many years ago and it has been at the bottom of my to do list for nigh 30 years.

It was pretty straightforward after watching some Youtube videos and reading tutorials on the Samba with regard to order of installation. Since I had done the driver side already, it was a breeze. I forgot to mention on my driver window that I am using new vent windows, complete units, from Wolfsburg West. Very nice product, almost as nice as OG. The tension bolt at the bottom is a little long and needs to be trimmed down to facilitate installation however.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The first time is always the hardest with those windows. Mine wasn’t so bad until I got it all in and realized I had forgotten the tension bolt. Super work. My interior is all over the garage after using the bus to move lots of stuff. I fit a mechanic’s drawer set, a 60 gallon air compressor, a MIG welder with cart and tank and a large frame Vespa scooter in there on my last run.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
There are a couple of veneer chips where the extinguisher sits on the passenger edge, some of them have been there for many years dating from when I had the cabinets out for the Eberspacher heater install in 2001. I'm looking for a good modern extinguisher to mount there. I still have the OG, but would like a new version maybe in raw aluminum or I could stick with the original red motif. I'll look around and post what I end up with.

i found a white extinguisher that, i think, looks great. and, also importantly, it fit. many are too high for the bed to clear.

when i took my original out to replace it, i thought, what the hell, i'll blast it off for fun. nothing. lost it's charge years ago, i suspect.

by the way, otis, your bus is looking awesome. congrats on the good work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

The color matched fire extinguisher is a nice touch. Very Happy
Now I need to find a green one. Laughing

Just a regular guy
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Cabinets are all in.
My son's dog Bruce approves.

Just a regular guy
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Windshield glass came in. I'll get a mobile installer to put it in next week hopefully. I've decided to do the dash top last even though it makes it much harder to do the front screws. But the wiring for the heated windshield will be much easier to figure out.

Just a regular guy
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Here is the busted piece out of the electrical hook up. I haven't sourced a replacement yet, but I suspect they are available domestically from an RV store or used on the classifieds here.

Just a regular guy
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Got the door checks back in with freshened up pins and new E-clips. I greased the checks to quiet them down a bit too.

Just a regular guy
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Oh, and here's a pic of my elec panel placement. I have mixed feelings about that now compared to the stock location, but it'll stay that way. Confused

Just a regular guy

Last edited by otiswesty on Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
Oh, and here's a pic of my elec panel placement. I have mixed feelings about that now compared to the stock location, by it'll stay that way. Confused

i don't know about you, otis, but i never (ever) use my electrical panel, nor my 110v hookup/battery charger.

so, to use wasted space (i fill my spare tire wheel with stuff), i keep my thongs, battery/power pack, and bags (plastic and paper grocery - since bags cost money in my home state, it pays to have some extras hanging around, plus single-use plastic get double use as bus trash bags - NOTE: not an invitation to start bashing CA, though some of you no doubt will).

anyway, just an idea.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Awesome! Another bus is saved and a cherry job at that! Subscribed!
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Getting ready to drive this thing for the first time in months. It drove great (amazing) before the body work. I pulled it to the shop with a tow bar after disassembly and drove it into their bay. When I picked it up, it cranked but wouldn't fire. I pulled it home again figuring it must be something simple. I'm just starting to chase this down now as the overwhelming job of reassembly is getting close to done.

Obviously, they were welding on the Bus.

Fuse 9 and 11 were blown and replaced, by me yesterday.

All the vacuum line are hooked up properly, AFM plugged in, ECU plugged in. Battery was out for tray replacement and they had the air filter housing removed. Dirty as hell in the engine compartment from all the body sanding. I spent a fair bit of time cleaning up in there yesterday.

No power to fuel pump.... Turn the key, no usual buzzing sound. Swapped out the fuel pump relay with an new unit and there was no change. I'm wondering if it could be the ignition switch or something up front. I plan to drop the fuse box and give everything a look over this afternoon. Maybe there will be something obvious. If there are any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I search for a good prior thread on the topic, but nothing good or recent came up for me.

I have an original yellow VW Type 2 repair manual which has the detailed wiring diagram for 77/78 Bus.

Just a regular guy
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Don’t laugh…. But did you drain fuel tank before it went to the shop? I have done this in the past.. and at the time, sending unit did not show correct level either at that time. Begin with the simple stuff first, like checking power to the pump. Bob
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Stock buses shouldn't buzz the fuel pump when you turn the key on. The DR won't power the pump unless the starter is engaged, (you won't hear the pump,) or the AFM senses airflow.

Easiest way to test system is to bridge the two right-most pins on the AFM plug with a bent paper clip with the key on.

A tablespoon of gas down the s-boot will tell you fuel is not spraying. Good idea about the empty tank!

If you smell gas in the tailpipe, I would file the points.

FI grounds on the left side of the case also appreciate a gentle wiggle if they've sat for a while.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers. The tank has fuel. I'll double check that the grounds are clean and connected and also look at the double relay again this afternoon.

Just a regular guy
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Worked on the no start without success today. Evil or Very Mad

I did get my windshield installed, so nice and clear and a great fit. It's an electrically heated one from the UK.
I ended up doing I myself as I couldn't get a mobile glass guy to return my messages.

I spent some time on the front pedestals today as well. Cleaning off old glue and foam and many years of dust and grime. I found some rust near the seat belt bolt receivers which was a big disappointment. It'll have to be fixed before I glue the new top mats down, but It wont stop me from getting this Bay back on the road sooner than later.
There is a reinforcement piece of metal under the seat pedestal in the wheel well. It must trap rust forming elements. The paint shop wanted to pull the mats and repaint there. I said no because they were the original mats, but they did look bad with all the new rubber and parts. It would have been nice to get this fixed last Spring, but so it goes.

Just a regular guy
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Nigel asked me in the Heated Windshield thread about my overriders. I have a Swedish market water tank and have them hooked up to the original windshield sprayers. I had the VWoA bumper overrriders mounted before, F & R, but they were hard on the paint.

NASkeet wrote:
I notice that you have yet to retro-fit your Swedish specification, rubber-covered bumper over-riders with headlamp-washer nozzles!?! Confused Shocked

I'm not drilling the front of my Bus to spray the headlights. If you need some Swedish version rubber overriders with sprayers, let me know. I took off the VWOA overriders as they are hard on the bumper paint and I prefer the cleaner simple look. They'll probably go on the classifieds here as well before too long.

Just a regular guy
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

After some vacation and time visiting family, I'm back at the bus. Getting some small things taken care of. The windshield wiring bits are mostly here, still waiting on some momentary switches form China but I have the relays and all the wiring.

The wiring attached to the glass is a nice flat form to wrap the seal and the position of the wiring exiting the glass lines up with the gaps in the body next to the dash mounting holes. I have 25 amp rated wire on both the supply and ground side.
I made sure the positive side was well insulated and slathered it with liquid tape just to be sure.

The wiring drops down behind (forward of) the fresh air channel and should be a nice unobtrusive install. I've not decided where to mount the relays as I will have one for each side, likely behind the kick panels on the front wall.

Looks like I could use some new windshield wiper blades as well.

Just a regular guy
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Found a local guy to come help me with the crank but no start. We smoked the vacuum lines and there was a good sized leak at the EGR valve which is disconnected. That got sealed off.

There is a leak at the throttle body as well but rather minor

The fuel pump was bad and is being replaced along with all new fuel lines for good measure. So the no start was definitely from the pump.

We will be working on tuning as the Camper Special has never really idled well. Fingers crossed for good result.

Just a regular guy
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

Otiswesty, I am also hoping the best for you and your Bus. I'm looking forward to further updates. Has the heated windshield been installed yet and if so, have you tested it somehow (assuming you're not experiencing frosts yet).

I know your great Westfalia decal is NOS, but where did you get your "Non-hippie Bus" sticker? I've never been one to put any sort of non-stock decal on my VWs, but that is one I believe I will use.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia rebuild Reply with quote

The non hippie bus sticker was a swap meet find some years ago.

I have all the bits for the windshield wiring except for the momentary switches that are on the way from China.

The heated windshield excels at demisting the windshield and is used more for that than melting ice or frost. As you know the blower only provides 4 small clear holes to peer through. It is cold and wet season here in Oregon now, so it is prime season to get that up and running. Of course wiping the front glass with a hand is another option, but I needed a new windshield anyways and have lusted for one of these for a long time.

Just a regular guy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: