Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchnem65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

My new 1974 Acapulco Thing. As I found it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After a hose down.

It checks all the boxes. VIN falls within Acapulco range. Has the original white paint in trunk and engine compartment still, and Blue paint everywhere it belongs. Running boards and bumper guards.

It was originally an Acapulco. I will be doing a body off resto to original Acapulco design. I bought it from the 2nd owner, who bought it in 1976, and told me it was originally blue and white. He had it painted sometime in the 90s, I am hoping he can find some old pictures. It has been off the road since around 2006. Always an Arizona car so zero rust.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

Congrats on your find. Glad to hear you'll be returning it to its Acapulco identity.

Other than the bumpers being a bit hacked up it looks to be complete. Which top will you be going with? While the surrey top is the one item that clearly identifies the car, it's a bit impractical for daily use. Great for show or parades though.
notchnem65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

Ya the bumper ends being hacked off is a bummer, and I can’t think of any good reason to do that. But that is literally the worst damage on the car so I am in great shape. I think I will be going back to a surrey top, but have not decided for sure yet. Being in Arizona, I really only need the shade from the surrey top anyways. The current top frame is in mint condition. I can’t wait to get this Thing back to it original condition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

Not sure how the surrey top fairs at highways speeds. I'd be afraid it might take off like the flying nun. Be great at parades and shows though. You may have to have someone build it for you. I've heard the Thing Shop has been out of stock for years. They still have the covers though. A bet a competent boat outfitter could fabricate the frame given enough information.
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

Congratulations! Nice find. I think I would be interrogating the P.O.s junk pile looking for that top frame.
72 Baja
notchnem65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

Ya I will be able to make the surrey top pretty easily. He didn’t have one I asked. I put a battery and some fresh gas to the carb and it fired right up today.
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

How is your restoration budget? I only ask because I have been restoring 2 Things, and from experience the $' start to add up real fast !
Have fun with it......they are great cars to work on and seem to be going up in value in resent years.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

Beauty find.
notchnem65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

Thank you. Should be a fun one. I do all my own work, so budget is just in needed supplies.
notchnem65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

Making some good progress

Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

Looks great!
notchnem65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

Getting some color on the Acapulco today, on the insides of everything

notchnem65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

And got a good start on the door hinge/mirror/top mounts

germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

Paint looks fantastic.
notchnem65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. I am happy with it.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

What kind of primer/paint are you using?
notchnem65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

I used acrylic urethane paint from summit racing, as I found suggested in a forum about Acapulco paint codes. And the color match is very close to the original paint that was left on the car. I am very happy with it.
notchnem65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

Got some more paint done.

notchnem65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

And the body is back on, now for the fun part. I love reassembly!!

notchnem65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found a 1974 Thing that was originally an Acapulco Reply with quote

Getting close

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: