Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
RobdogAles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

The 50 amp fuse for the a/c in my van has gotten to the point is has oxidized and become weak. Replacing a relay I touched it and it split nearly in half. Looking online I can find heaps of these for about 50 cents ea and $20 in shipping.

Is there any reason I can't simply replace this strip-type fuse with a modern 50 amp blade type fuse?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

50A is 50A, whatever works. I've seen these boxed fuses being installed, I'm not sure the name.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

you could do a maxi fuse, but most parts stores (napa, etc) can get and stock some of the strip fuses. even the dealer still has them

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

I installed a 50A maxi fuse.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RobdogAles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
you could do a maxi fuse, but most parts stores (napa, etc) can get and stock some of the strip fuses. even the dealer still has them

Tried the local autopart stores. None have them and some can't get them. Napa has some in Arizona but it will cost $15 to get it here. I'll give VW a shout on Monday.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

The ones you had... ya, those are not 50 amp fuses after 20-30 years. Wilted, oxidized, etc. They are more like resistors after that amount of time.

I got all new exact replacements, and saw my amperage draws and heat production in the D pillar location go down remarkably.

So, my advice is to just put new stock ones in, not a new style, etc. The biggest reductions I had were in replacing or tightening loose connections, crimp ends and the likes. Any wiggle, and you will have electrical resistance, resulting in more draw, and higher temps in the area. Not a good thing in a tight little spot like the D pillar.

Last, I'd suggest you look into Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) units to replace the big resistors for the fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKlepF96tCQ&t=383s
(example for front blower, same concept)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738697
(several options for A/C blowers)

And they are quite inexpensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234324540095?hash=item368...BM9sOYi-5g

Regarding how to find the fuses themselves, I don't remember just now where I found them online, but they were very inexpensive as well. I know I bought a small bag of them, I probably even have some just sitting around somewhere, but my location management skills are poor... I will see what I can find from my orders history and get back here with useful info when I can take a look.
RobdogAles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

I was thinking about doing the pwm fan control after finding that in an earlier post when searching for options for replacing my strip fuse. Reason for replacing the strip fuse with a newer style is it makes it easier to find parts if needed.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

I got some of these, IIRC:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282920988038?chn=ps&_...-hEALw_wcB

But these also woudl do, I guess

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/strip-fuse-50-amp/n0171251/

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/littelf...GGEALw_wcB
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

. . . or this:

https://www.amazon.com/Gauge-Inline-Fuse-Holder-Wa...amp;sr=8-8
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

I see that's a Westy.
Delete the plenum - then you'll never need more than speed#3.
So disconnect Speed#4 from the switch and that wilted fuse is probably sufficient for a 3-speed.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
RobdogAles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

Delete the plenum? Intriguing. Very intriguing. Benefits? Negatives? Photos???
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

Search Amazon for “50A MIDI fuse”. Just did this. Direct replacement — easy peesy!

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

Westy AC plenum delete...
....speed 2, quietly blowing nice cool a/c up to the front seats of the van....
I deleted the plenum at a campground in 100°F heat because Syncro Jael told me I'd be amazed.
The 2nd half of our trip was "amazing".

See this thread: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
disconnect Speed#4 from the switch and that wilted fuse is probably sufficient for a 3-speed.

Sorry ^^this^^ is an error.
Unplugging speed#4 doesn't reduce amperage across that fuse, or thru the 35 year old wires etc.
This proves that fxr, DuncanS, etc don't read every post. Cool Cool
And crazyvwvanman didn't catch me either. Shocked

The VW uses a set of 'resistors' to reduce the fan speed.
The resistors waste amps to reduce the motor speeds on 1,2,3.
Amperage to the motor is reduced, but the balance amperage is wasted by the resistor.
Consequently "total amps across that sad old fuse" is ~the same~ regardless of the speed.

The modern way is to use a PWM speed controller, which will definitely reduce the amperage at lower speeds.
No amps are 'wasted' with Pulse Width Modulation.

I'm wondering if there are little PWM boards, with little screw-pots that you could just abandon the resistor and install 3 separate PWM boards, pre-setting each one for speeds 1,2,3.
It wouldn't need that knob, just needs a little screw-pot that you set.
But it has to accommodate the motor wattage.

OR......a feller could re-route the outputs of the switch thru 4 discrete resistors that "choose" 4 positions of that knob/pot to control the PWM board.
Then the OEM fan speed switch still has 4 speeds, and works OEMish, with top speed about 80% (lesser power).
I like that.

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Sodo wrote:
disconnect Speed#4 from the switch and that wilted fuse is probably sufficient for a 3-speed.

Sorry ^^this^^ is an error.

Good on ya' for jumping on your sword Cool
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RobdogAles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your replies. I gotta say I love this forum. It's seldom I post questions but I always take away some amazing knowledge that can be difficult to dig out of the Bentley.

Cheers to you all.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

I worked on a D pillar T3 AC electrical this summer. No way I would replace with stock fuses, splice in some modern stuff In those high amp circuits.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

Edit: how about measuring the amps through the fuse for each speed?

Mark

Last edited by crazyvwvanman on Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon A/C 50 amp fuse substitute? Reply with quote

!!! Uh-oh this is worse than the dang sword ...
Good to confirm that the easy method (unplugging speed #4) is valid.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: