Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone Install ARB Awning on Eurovan Camper?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoastieLFS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Anyone Install ARB Awning on Eurovan Camper? Reply with quote

I've been researching the ARB awning vs the Fiamma. I feel I'm well versed now in the plus & minus of both. I've been reading all the forum stuff I can find (both here & on Expedition Portal) about mounting the ARB awning on a van in general, but so far can only find hits for entries where people have installed on everything but a EVC. Not ready to sell my EVC yet, so I'm hoping someone has successfully mounted the ARB Awning to a EVC or knows of someone who has. Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CoastieLFS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortly after posting this, I contacted North Westy (even though their web page gave me the impression they only worked on T3's and older). As luck would have it, they had a Eurovan Camper in the shop to have an ARB awning installed. They EMailed me last night that the install was successful and it looks really good. Unfortunately, the owner retrieved it before they took some pictures. I already ordered the awning before I heard from them, but they are willing to install the awning anyway. I would just need to pre-pay for the brackets so they can get them & modify them for the install and of course pay for the labor.

More to follow (in case someone down the line happens to read/follow this thread).

P.S. If the owner of that Eurovan happens to read this - please consider posting some pictures!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CoastieLFS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: ARB Awning Install on '95 EVC Reply with quote

I installed my ARB 2500 awning yesterday with some help from a friend who helped me modify the GoWesty EVC brackets so we could attach the awning to the brackets. Greater details and pictures for anyone that's interested here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7293009#7293009
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Install ARB Awning on Eurovan Camper? Reply with quote

Excellent post. I always enjoy pictures.

I am considering purchasing an ARB awning for my 1995 EVC. I already have the GoWest mounting brackets as they came with the van when I purchased it. But I don't have the awning itself in front of me.

I gather my GW brackets have been updated since this post was first published as there are 4 pre-drilled holes on my brackets for mounting the awning to it.

It appears the most difficult part of this job is drilling/aligning the 3 rivets for each bracket onto the van.

Then, the awning simply attaches to the brackets using the 4 holes located on the bracket via the ARB channels, correct?

Or am I missing something?

Otherwise, any other tips/suggestions?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Install ARB Awning on Eurovan Camper? Reply with quote

Yep, that's how I installed them on our Weekender. The one on the B-pillar is kinda tight to fit on there within the space allotted, but it's not terribly difficult. Using the rinky dink rivet "tool" provided by GW is the worst part of it. I need to buy a proper metric riveter before I try that again.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Mookacb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Install ARB Awning on Eurovan Camper? Reply with quote

We installed it without any problems. It’s working great.

[/img]
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Install ARB Awning on Eurovan Camper? Reply with quote

We use a Coleman pop up with our MV, I wonder if anyone has tried magnetic attach point(s)
jmciii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Install ARB Awning on Eurovan Camper? Reply with quote

Mookacb wrote:
We installed it without any problems. It’s working great.

[Pics]

I have this implementation and it's gone very well.

Not as great: I recently bought this to go with my awning:

https://www.gowesty.com/product/awnings-screen-rooms/25230/led-light-bar-for-arb-awning?v=

I wrongly thought there would be a sleeve that comes with it. There is not. There is only the light strip and controls. The retailers like GoWesty and others are saying that the light is compatible with earlier awnings. I argue that it is not because only the newer awnings have the sleeve for the LED strip. It's just not very clear in the catalog listings.

I camped on Saturday and just clipped the light to the aluminum with basic grip clips. I also Gorilla glued some magnets to the strip in case I want to just hang it on the exterior of the van somewhere.

Also, the intensity control of that light running off of 12V affected the interior cabin lights of the van. I guess it influences the amount of load that goes to those lights since they're all powered off of the alt battery? It was strange. It was almost as if the control for the ARB light was controlling the ceiling lights.
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Install ARB Awning on Eurovan Camper? Reply with quote

I ordered the 2500 model with the light already installed as that was a big selling point on my end.

https://www.4wheelparts.ca//p/arb-touring-shade-aw...HWQ-814403

It is, however, a little disconcerning to hear your comments about the light itself. I was under the impression it would not draw much power, etc. And it's odd that it is affecting your other lights (?).

I'll let you know once I receive it, install and try it out.
Mookacb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Install ARB Awning on Eurovan Camper? Reply with quote

I have the light. If I remember right, it draws about 1 amp on when on high. This seems like a lot, but we haven't used it too much so it hasn't been an issue.

I am thinking of installing a 12 volt outlet to the little shelf just just behind the front end of the tent. This would allow plugging in the awning light, and give a place to charge phones while in the top bunk.
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Install ARB Awning on Eurovan Camper? Reply with quote

Successful install today

jmciii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Install ARB Awning on Eurovan Camper? Reply with quote

Nice! Are you noticing any influence on the house lights like i reported? Thanks for any info. -John
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Install ARB Awning on Eurovan Camper? Reply with quote

No, not yet (but I only tested briefly).

I'll let you know ...
lucksp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Install ARB Awning on Eurovan Camper? Reply with quote

I also have a 95 Eurovan camper looking at the ARB awning. GoWesty is sold out of their bracket kit: https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in-usa/2543/awning-mounting-kit-?v=

Is this the only mounting option or are there others out there?
steve2sloth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Install ARB Awning on Eurovan Camper? Reply with quote

My EVC came with a busted awning and I replaced it with an ARB 2500. While I was unable the brand of the original broken awning, it was longer than the replacement ARB so I used a piece of aluminum to extend the ARB length to hit. The aluminum bar is 1/4" thick and runs 1.5' behind the installed ARB so it's plenty strong. Because of this, I did not have to install the mounting brackets as they were already there from the previous owner. See the pic below to get an idea.

I'm loving the ARB, but to be fair I haven't used a Fiama so I cannot compare. I have no trouble setting up the awning by myself.

jbsoc420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Inexpensive Awning Poptop Eurovan Camper-Vevor & Fiamma bracket Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first time with a Pop Top Eurovan awning.

I bought at Vevor 6.6 x 8.2 awning (with some kind of sign up discount directly from them)

https://www.vevor.com/car-side-awning-c_11731/vevo...1-02:21:42 ($107)

Also, got tent to go over awning

VEVOR Car Side Awning, 6.6'x8.2', Pull-Out Retractable Vehicle Awning Waterproof UV50+, Telescoping Poles Trailer Sunshade Rooftop Tent w/ Carry Bag for Jeep/SUV/Truck/Van Outdoor Camping Travel, Grey
1 $98.99 (It's a big bag!)

Used this video to assemble it the awning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u6M10-Yz18&ab_channel=HRGTV

Directions were so bad that came with awning that this video really helped a lot! I assembled it inside on my king bed and that made it fairly painless.

I also used a bungee to hold the awning once I was ready to install it to the van.

I also bought two lashing straps for extra protection

Bought Fiamma brackets ($75 ebay), drilled hole slightly bigger to accommodate larger bolts (2) that came with it.

Here is the bracket that I used (F35 Fiamma) with slight modification - as noted, drilled out center hold on bracket (the only one at top) to make slightly larger (see blue circle)

Here is a picture (from the Samba) of one painted to match the car. Note the size of the whole that I enlarged.

Paid stereo installer $60 to rivnut the brackets (with sealer).

See this video to get a sense of how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NMfOiScSdk&ab_channel=CombeValleyCampers

Et, voila!

Here is what it looks like on a mazda, taken from youtube

Here are some photos of my work

There I used the bottom channel with the supplied bolt and tightened so that the top of the fiamma bracket (with curve) is tightened against the top channel.

Hope this helps!

Delica 93
VW Westi 71
Ghia semi auto 69
Amazon 122 68
Axxess 1990 awd

[/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: