Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

l thought I'd share these rear caliper mounts I found
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject: l thought I'd share these rear caliper mounts I found Reply with quote

I installed rear disc on my buggy but always had an alignment issue with the stamped mounts. I tried bending them but I never got it just right. These have a big, thick mounting surface and allowed me to machine away precise amounts to get perfect alignment. I highly recommend these.

https://www.appletreeauto.com/forged-disc-brake-br...5REALw_wcB
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: l thought I'd share these rear caliper mounts I found Reply with quote

What caliper do they fit?
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: l thought I'd share these rear caliper mounts I found Reply with quote

"for universal caliper"

https://www.appletreeauto.com/universal-disc-brake-caliper-fits-front-and-rear-vw/

SuperBeetle, Type 3 caliper bolts on to the same mounts as an older Kharmann Ghia single piston caliper. It would be better to use a Type 3 master cylinder, but you would have to make new steel tubes and hack up the pan and it would be muy trabajo for poco improvement

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: l thought I'd share these rear caliper mounts I found Reply with quote

Is there a better caliper (two piston perhaps) that fits that bracket?

Oh and what is it about the type 3 master cylinder that is better?
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: l thought I'd share these rear caliper mounts I found Reply with quote

How about a caliper with an integrated e-brake that fits the bracket?
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: l thought I'd share these rear caliper mounts I found Reply with quote

the kind of person who just has to argue with someone else is going to swan dive into this post. you're just talking to the sky if you do.

Quote:
what is it about the type 3 master cylinder that is better?

a thing to know about the American legal system: in civil court, both lawyers are looking for "deviation from standard". if one party deviates from standard and the other does not, the party that deviated from standard loses.

If you remove standard brake parts and substitute aftermarket parts, even if those aftermarket parts are clearly decades more modern, you have deviated from standard. "did a Volkswagen engineer approve of these parts you removed?" ( yes ) "did a Volkswagen engineer approve of the parts you replaced them with?" ( no ) and you lose

You can assemble VW parts into a Frankenbraken system. Thing spindles, Karmann Ghia Rotors T3 calipers, T3 rear drums and wheel cylinders will give you a better braking system than a VW van had, and every part has a VW part number.

Type 3s and Type 4s, which used the same brakes, had the best brakes ever on air cooled VWs. A Type 1 drum drops completely inside a Type 3 and 4 drum. T3 wheel cylinders have larger cylinders than Type 1 wheel cylinders, therefore T3 master cylinders have a larger piston than a T1 BMC ( T1 19 mm, T3 22 mm } Unfortunately, T3 master cylinders have steel tubes coming out in different places, and sensors that would rest against the pan if installed.

every part with a VW part number and a VW logo. nothing for opposing counsel to grasp. the look of defeat on the opposing counsels face. a smug smirk on your lawyers face. joy.

If VW had assembled the system described above they would have called them Alpine brakes

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: l thought I'd share these rear caliper mounts I found Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
tT3 master cylinders have a larger piston than a T1 BMC ( T1 19 mm, T3 22 mm }

This right here was what I was looking for, thanks!

Thank God I don't live in the US of L (litigation)!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: