Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I dyno'd with canned e85 because I got it for free.

I run pump E85 and its available all over here. been on it for 4500 miles. 4000 before was 91 pump gas.

Most people are like you, they say I can't drive this car on the street but for a quick show or to a burger joint. Just read the first 5 pages of this thread.

I drive my car more than anyone I know with any kind of vw, even a stock one. Valve train is tame with only 370 spring pressure on the nose. That's less than CB 650 #'s

What engine and HP are you running? Please post the link to the thread so I can read about it.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I've ran the full spectrum of engines on the street in different vehicles from the low hp right up to 550hp and without going into to details of them all I'd just say the worst least streetable engine was a 2332cc with Comp Eliminator heads,400lb springs, race cam similar to FK89 400lb springs, Wisco rattlers and it had EFi.
Another motor that belonged to a friend was a similar thing but fitted with IDA carbs and although he used to claim "but it runs great " Laughing It was the worst POS I've ever driven.
So lets remove the EFI from my 2332 and put on some IDA carbs with oversize venturis and see what happens ? It's going to be even worse and it was bad to start with
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Does it really matter what everyone’s definition of ‘streetable’ is? King drives his bug daily on the street and enjoys it. It’s not like he can only nip down to cruise night in it, he does daily running around in LA traffic and heat regularly. Many people struggle to keep a 1641 ditch pump with kadrons alive for such things let alone an N/A 2.8 litre edging towards 300hp

Just enjoy you’re own stuff 🤷🏻
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:
I thought you were using canned E85 from a previous post ? E85 is great for keeping the motor cool which solves a lot of problems so long as you have gas stations selling it on route. Then there is the valve train issue and even if you are cruising along at 50mph with little load on the motor it's going to cave in on itself sooner rather than later but like I said "streetable" is subjective

The guy took a engine out of a full on dragster and has been posting vids every week of himself enjoying life flying through every street in LA and then some. Who cares if it runs on canned corn, canned ham, canned spam. Its the funnest and most interesting thing out there. Its a great example of truly living life and not a trailer queen, thats street. Not only that, hes been sharing in the fun with all the video feeds so the whole world can enjoy.

All you can say is his venturies are not street? Or his valvetrain is not street enuff? Then You dont like the way he calculates power and the relationship to the diff? The last 2 pages all you been doing is looking for anything you can point out as not right in your book. You went from one subject to another trying to find faults and point them out, basically just being a dick. Go ahead and look back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

k@rlos wrote:
Does it really matter what everyone’s definition of ‘streetable’ is? King drives his bug daily on the street and enjoys it. It’s not like he can only nip down to cruise night in it, he does daily running around in LA traffic and heat regularly. Many people struggle to keep a 1641 ditch pump with kadrons alive for such things let alone an N/A 2.8 litre edging towards 300hp

Just enjoy you’re own stuff 🤷🏻

100%, and you beat me to it. I was typing as you posted this. Was thinking hard to believe i was the only one saying something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Paul.H wrote:
I thought you were using canned E85 from a previous post ? E85 is great for keeping the motor cool which solves a lot of problems so long as you have gas stations selling it on route. Then there is the valve train issue and even if you are cruising along at 50mph with little load on the motor it's going to cave in on itself sooner rather than later but like I said "streetable" is subjective

The guy took a engine out of a full on dragster and has been posting vids every week of himself enjoying life flying through every street in LA and then some. Who cares if it runs on canned corn, canned ham, canned spam. Its the funnest and most interesting thing out there. Its a great example of truly living life and not a trailer queen, thats street. Not only that, hes been sharing in the fun with all the video feeds so the whole world can enjoy.

All you can say is his venturies are not street? Or his valvetrain is not street enuff? Then You dont like the way he calculates power and the relationship to the diff? The last 2 pages all you been doing is looking for anything you can point out as not right in your book. You went from one subject to another trying to find faults and point them out, basically just being a dick. Go ahead and look back.

Yeah but he’s run the ‘full spectrum’ remember Laughing

Gotta love self opinionated people….. Rolling Eyes
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

k@rlos wrote:
Gonna be well over 270hp I should think, will be epic fun for the couple 1000 miles it lasts on the streets Confused

You changed your mind ?
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:
k@rlos wrote:
Gonna be well over 270hp I should think, will be epic fun for the couple 1000 miles it lasts on the streets Confused

You changed your mind ?

Yes because I was proved wrong and I have zero problem with admitting it.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Little video from last nights cruise. The red car is a friends 2332cc with 48 ida’s . We raced 3 times. I had the wife with me and he was trying all 3 https://www.instagram.com/reel/CiCITXoNOU0/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Thanks paul and karlos for the kind words. And I don’t think anyone really thought this would be as successful as it is. I didn’t. And if I didn’t try where would I be now?? I would be like the red car I smoked, sitting in the dust of someone who did have the balls.
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I look forward to a ride in it next year Wink
bedjo78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

hello

what is the barrel hole diameter in case for the 105 mm cylinder ?

King_vw61 wrote:
Picked up a New 105mm Autocraft case from the samba. Thanks James.

Thinking of gathering parts for a E85 with NOS engine. Roller cam, Street driven for sure. I have a 63 ragtop in storage or put it in the 61.

Any thoughts on what you would put in it?? size crank? it's going to be a Marine crank, the stroke is the question. I have Autocraft barrels, need pistons..Heads I was thinking JPM.

This will be a Geers build for sure.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

what is mild to some is massively wild & unstreatable to others. thats why they still make stock shit.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

The 'Street car' debate will never die.
Helps if you're somewhere where cold starts aren't really a thing, but I've never been in a car with IDAs I'd like to drive on the street personally, but I'm not pretending that's what makes a car not streetable
Some people don't like lumpy cams, engine and gearbox NVH or light flywheels... so subjective its kinda moot. Also, we all know cc makes up for a lot of shortcomings.

What I do think is a big factor is the maintenance an engine needs to he streetable.
Valve springs going bad, burning a quart of oil every 100 miles etc don't scream street car... BUT Robert has the time/money/skills/patience/friends etc to make it work and for that I applaud him.
Its cool to see, despite not the route most people take to 300hp

Keep the updates coming Thumbs Up
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Kingvw is like the capt kirk of hot vw's. Boldly going where no man has gone before!
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

The using oil is being fixed now, we will check the rest of the engine out and make sure all is good. Doing some cosmetic upgrades. Carbs will be black with some holley boosters.

Other than that 3000 miles on Gapless top ring that loved to burn oil at idle.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

The heads show signs of lifting. Oil was leaking from between the cylinders and head on the exhaust side of all 4 cylinders.

The leakdown #'s didn't show any issues. Tom thinks its under hi Rpm's and high pressures. it's on the exhaust side where the head studs are the furthest apart. They were tight, he checked torque before removing them.

I have seen oil(burnt looking oil) from those areas in the past and just thought it was from the pushrod tubes.

The Rod bearings just showed material moving so the entire motor is coming apart to check everything.

Cylinders looked good, sent them out to have a quick hone on them and all new rings are going in it. I have NOS rod bearings that we already fitted to the rods. The rods looked good and the pins.

We are going back to the copper head gaskets and will take .040 off the barrels to keep with the 13.4.1

Cam and Tool steel lifters look like new. Springs and valves all looked good.

should be back together by the end of the week.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Back up and running, 10 days start to finish. 5 were for waiting on valves to be kissed. Tom ended up doing them. Springs were same spec's as new, last time I put 3000 miles on the psi springs they were all over the place with pressures. Ace racing engines gave me #'s for the seat and nose off total valve train weight and it worked. 158 seat and 370 nose. he wanted 330 on the nose but with .010 shim we got it to 370. no float and Guides looked and felt like new.

No more smoking, at all. Lesson learned. No other issues inside at all, just the gapless ring was changed to a standard totalseal top ring.

We drilled the 9 plugs on the carbs idle circuit and used a 3mm reamer to go thru them and clean them up then plugged them with 8/32 plug. Went to a Black powder coat and now they are sexy. Black is thinning...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci6YN1BJ50S/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci5zJLHDjP_/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci5voSqpjeL/
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

"streetable" is subjective and who cares?? I think it's great, his money, he can spend it any way he wants and enjoys doing it, that's all that matters. Guys run 750hp twin turbo Porsches on the street no problem, it's a free country, so far anyway...
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I would totally drive that! I don't care if i have to work on something every third drive (not saying you do). Sometimes i think i like the wrenching over the driving anyway!
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of the carbs. New boosters and black powder coated.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 82 of 84

Jump to: